Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving

Anyone has tried acidophilus douche ?

Theres's a new douche in teh market which contains a solution with hydrogen peroxide ( I imagine very diluted) and come with a sachet of acidophilus lactobillici coagulans.

It is made by yeastguard. I have never tried their products. I showed teh douche pakect to my doctor and she said I could try it. I'd like to know if any of you have tried that approach.....

or would I just be better of using regular acidophilus capsules inserted vaginally?
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

interesting

That sounds alot better than inserting the pills alone

I've been doing the pill insertion....dunno what to think yet....it does help with the itching. Where do they sell this new douche?

Belive it or not, I found it at HEB supermarket, so I think it should be easy to find, I saw that brand at walmart and walgreens too. I haven't checked their websited yet. The name is YeastGard.

Just curious, do you insert an acidophilus pill? which one? If I choose to insret an acidophilus pill I will use Femdophilus.
    UTIs since mid 2004
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)

BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

i've had a couple yeast infections since ic and inserting the pill REALLLY helped!! it worked fast, but it didn't cure it, i used diflucan. i do take femdophilus daily and used that internally one time i found small pieces of the pill the next morning in the shower (maybe tmi) but nothing any of the other times. the satchel sounds like a great idea. but i would be scared of the douching part.
    Current: -pelvic floor therapy, -weekly uracyst instills

ICN Member

Acidophillus and yeast

Hi, I have been taking acidophilius in capsule form orally for a month now and i still have a yeast/thrush problem. I only notice it though when its irritated such as when i use tampons or tight clothes or have sex.

I have read a lot on grapefruitseed extract and how it can be used as a douche to cure thrush has anyone tried it? I have been gargling with it for my swollen glands and reoccurring sore throats and it really helps.

My kinesiologist also suggested inserting a garlic clove wrapped in muslin into the vagina, anyone tried this? I bought the muslin but have been too afraid to try it out yet...

ICN Member
    I read somewhere that to douche is not so healthy for the vagina, that is actually upsets the natural ph balance inside the vagina? Curious what your thoughts are on this? My doctor even stated the same thing...
    ON THE OTHER HAND...my naturalpath suggested a douche...but I would have nothing to do with it....

I am also curious on this garlic and muslin?? what is muslin?? is this type of combination suppose to help with ph balance? or yeast? Just curious. MY gyno suggested I use 1/4 piece of a vit c pill for the redness and rawness I have inside the vagina...I have yet to try this.......scard also...

Peace

1- Femdophilus capsule inserted vaginally: do you insert the original white capsule from teh bottel? or you put the contents in a vaginal applicator?

2- Yeastgard douche: I tried it but only once, I followed teh treatmet with 100 mg boric acid capsules every other day. 100mg is not as mch as the recommended 600mg but I can't take much of it.
    Douhing is necessary when you have persisten yeast, you need to get rid of it somewhat and them go on an aditional treatment to prevent it from re-growing.
    Yeastgard has some suppositories and stuff but I haven't heard anyone trying them nor found any information in the web!

3-garlic. I'll be careful with that one if you have vv or sensitive skin. A friend of mine burned her face with a smashed raw garlic preparaton she put on it to get rid or acne. she neded up with chemical burning. The vaginal/vulval sking is a lot more sensitive than the skin face so get the picture. You could try a small amount of it...and see how you react to it. Some have recomended using garlic pills or capsules rather than raw garlic....if you already put toom many topical I'll very careful.

4-Vitamin C, it probbably lowers the PH and with a PH lower than 4.5 is hard for yeast or bacteria to overgrow. You can test what is the vitamin C pill PH: smash a capsule and mix is with a little of your own vaginal fluid (sorry too graphic) and put it in a PH strip, that can give you an idea. if it is 3 or so, that will burn.
    You can also try a quarter of a pill or a very small pill first and see how you react. The try is, whatever you try do not go overboard the first time.

I'm personally more interested in ozonated olive oil (which I haven't tired yet), femdophilus capsules and boric acid to keep things at bay. Dyflucan does nothing to me. Not even in high dosages so have to go with extreme options such as douching once in a while when I get too much of it.
    I'll appreciate any more feedback on acidophilus capuslues insertdvaginally or a a douche. I'd like to know if the acidophilus ends up growing in the vagina....
    Last edited by Angeles; 11-18-2008 at 04:05 PM.
    UTIs since mid 2004
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetou View Post
    I read somewhere that to douche is not so healthy for the vagina, that is actually upsets the natural ph balance inside the vagina? Curious what your thoughts are on this? My doctor even stated the same thing...
    ON THE OTHER HAND...my naturalpath suggested a douche...but I would have nothing to do with it....

I am also curious on this garlic and muslin?? what is muslin?? is this type of combination suppose to help with ph balance? or yeast? Just curious. MY gyno suggested I use 1/4 piece of a vit c pill for the redness and rawness I have inside the vagina...I have yet to try this.......scard also...

Peace
    Muslin is a type of fabric...

ICN Member
    Hi, Ya iv read on the net people warning against douches as they may cause further infections and the vagina needs to be kept dry as a wet environment can make yeast flourish. Im stil undecided... grapefruit seed extract seems to be great at killing bacteria im just not sure its worth the risk, especially since your gp said not to.

Aah maybe il just stick with taking probiotics orally, it might take another month. Muslin by the way is cotton, its 100% cotton which lets the skin breath so the garlic can tackle the problem without it directly rubbing the skin. You would wrap the garlic clove in the fabric and thread a needle through it so you can pull it out when done.

Im concerned about this talk of burning! ouch, not a good look!

Thread Information