Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis May Effect One Out Of Every 26 People In The USA
    ICN Member

Neurontin Cream?

Hello,
    I have seen other posts on this but cannot find them at the moment....Yesterday my UROGYN prescribed me neurontin cream, to be mixed a compounding pharmacy. She said she just read an article and started prescribing this to her patients with IC, VV and Urethral pain. She told me to rub it on 4x a day and use lidocane gel for sex. We are trying to conceive so I need something to make sex bearable. Anyway, does anyone use it? I also wonder how much it costs! Yikes, anything they have to mix sounds crazy! Like the old days. She said that her patients had a 60% improvement.

I am hypersensitive to meds and I have had bad reactions to imipramine, and other stuff. Prosed/pyridium of any sort makes me sooo dizzy I can't function. So I need something else for pain and this topical stuff helps a lot of people. She also said that I can use it on my urethra. She also gave me premarin cream for Lube.

Does this work for you gals?

Sounds interesting!
    Let us know what you find out!
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

My GYN sent me this article about this and it does sound interesting, I ask her to prescribe it for me.. She said she was confused on how to do this.. If you can get any info on this please let us know..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I'm pretty sure a compounding pharmacy like Womens international Pharmacy or Lieter's pharmacy would know. They are pretty good at compounding things. My gyne doesn't like compounding topicals
    she prefers that I try rx medications.....

I know people have success with elavil cream (compounded of course)
    If I were to do this I'd try compounding the same medication that I'm taking orally. In my case it'd be elavil compounding cream because I'm taking Elavil orally so the cream would add to it.

So If you take neurontin orally and use neurontin compounded cream, that would be a good combination treatment.

Also if you can't tolerate oral Elavil, (or any other tricyclic) or any anticonvulsant like Lyrica or neurontin, then you shouldl definitely try it topically.
    The cost is normally higher than a rx copay, so be prepared approx $50 or more. Worth it if it works and hope it does.
    Keep us posted.
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Thanks Angeles!!!
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    hm...well I have been having a flare bladder symptoms and another pain that i have sometimes - think it's uterine pain from adenomysis. anyway, doc thinks I'm having nerve pain - needed elavil of neurontin, both of which make me loopy and fat so I don't take them and have a good sized supply.

so today, in a moment of desperation, I used an elavil tablet vaginally
    Couldn't think why that would be a super bad thing - if it's possible to do it with cream, why not a tablet.
    I swear I think it helped with the deep pain. Took a while of course, and i have no idea if it's even possible for one application to have an effect.

am I nutso? Anyone ever heard of doing this?

This is what I think that hapened on your case: the pill itself has an anesthesic effect in contact with mucosa. That happnes when I take half a 10 mg pill (5mg). I have to split the tiny pill and some of it crumbles. When I put in in my mounth my tongue gets a little numb in the small spot that hit the 1/2 pill.

It may be that the pill disolved and numbed things inside when you inserted. I have never heard about applying Elavil, and such, intravaginally so you may want to stop and run it by your doctor.

We read a lot in the ICN about patients using compunded elavil cream, but that's for external use, for the vulva.
    UTIs since mid 2004
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)

BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Hi..Im new to this site so im getting use to everything, My doctor told me i have volvadynia and im using the gabapentin 4% cream. I ve been using it for 5 days. Not much improvement yet and not sure how long it will take till i feel some good relief. This just started about 4 weeks ago..I thought i had a yeast infection but all my test were negetive. I have been going crazy the last few weeks. I wish i had someone to talk to that has the samething so i can understand it better. Hopefully this will kick in soon because i cant stand this burning and iritation. If anyone out there that has this same problem please let me know if they would like a friend to talk to about it. Thanks Blondee

Red face

What kind of symptoms you had that made you think you had yeast? any discharge at all? Just curious.
    Also my understanding is that these tyep of creams are to be used long term to give it a chance to kick in. I'm not on them so please don't "quote" me. You can read more about the use of compounded creams such as Elavil etc that notmally people take orally, and discuss it with your doctor.
    Also since you are new, make sure your dorctor is up to date with VV, IC and such, it makes a difference.
    I hope the treatment works for you and you find relief! Let us know how the cream goes.
    UTIs since mid 2004
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)

compounded medication

I am wondering if you could take a neurontin capsule apart and mix the contents with something like ky jelly--thereby making your own cream. Many of the creams that I have had compounded for me burn my vagina and I think it is the base cream that causes the burning. Anybody got any ideas??

Thread Information