Latest Blog Article: New Fact Sheets for Interstitial Cystitis Treatments, Diet and Flares
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

increased frequency connected with yeast infection?

I have a yeast infection and with this my urinary frequency has increased tremendously! What is that about? What is the connection? It's not a UTI. I'm just wondering.
    Facebook- Ann Stockmeyer Rachinger

Wink

Hi
    I have had the same happen. I've been in remission since Feb this year, but around May or so I was oh so lucky to have an encounter of the intimate kind which usually sets me up for a yeast infection if this encounter comes after a long drought, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I was so upset because the yeast infection aggravated my vestibulitis, and tho I didn't get full blown IC symptoms, the combo of the yeast and the vestibulitis DID increase the burning and frequency in my nether regions. Thankfully I respond well to the OTC yeast cream Gynelotrimin (generic Clotrimazole) usually I find it only at Walgreens. That almost always cures my yeast without the contact irritation/burning that Monistat and other creams can cause...I also had a couple diflucan so took those and a pyridium for the burning. After a couple days of freaking out that I was out of remission, the yeast calmed down and so did the vv and since then no more IC symptoms, unless I eat something I shouldn't. The only med I find myself taking maybe just once a month now is pyridium when I'm on my period...it works great for spasms and also the burning feeling I've always gotten with my period, even pre-IC. If you can tolerate Pyridium that may help with your symptoms, it sure does for me, but I know a lot of people don't care for Pyrdium. Possibly something like Urelle or Prosed could have the same good effect, I don't know because I haven't tried them. Sorry so long! Hope any of this helps!

ICN Member
    I saw a new type of AZO at Walmart today and it said AZO yeast. I didn't have time to stop and read the label but maybe it would be something to check out.

I don't know if AZO yeast can CURE a yeast infection but many have reported here that it does help as a preventative, esp if you are prone to yeast infections, or get yeast infections when you take antibiotics. It has been around for a while, I think. Unfortunately I don't think it was around when I was dealing with chronic/recurring yeast throughout my 20s. Thankfully I seem to have outgrown that since I turned 30, at least the chronic yeast. Best wishes

Each time I have had BV or a yeast infection, my IC symptoms flare up. I think it probably just has to do with the fact that yeate especially, causes inflammation as the body tries to fight it off. I know I get very red, swollen and burn like fire with yeast inside and out, and my frequency/urgency and pain increase dramatically with a yeast infection. It also does with BV, but I'd say it is less pronounced.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

I was just put on macrobid yesterday because I took a AZO uti home test and the wbc was abnormal but not the nitrate. I called my doc and told him and he said he would treat with the macrobid. My concern was I did have some itching, so was not sure if it was yeast or a uti. Now I am just afraid the macrobid will cause me to get a yeast infection. Any suggestions??? I did find that the AZO uti tablets worked really fast for the burning and spasms but you cannot use it long term!
    Diagnosed: November 07
    Medications:
    toprol 50mgs(high blood pressure & fast
    heart beat)
    Elmiron 100mgs 3 x day
    Ativan .05 mgs when needed
    Zegerid 40mgs for gerd
    Allegra for seasonal allergies
    Hydrocodone when needed

Supplements:
    Take on and off Bladder Q & MSM Glucousamine.

Have a wonderful husband and 3 darling children and precious sheppard named Peppie who are all my true angels Dedicating this for my Mom who also had IC and is now my in heaven.

Yeast will irritate the uretrha and you'll get urgency becuase of that. Drink plenty of water to flush things and prevent the yeats to enter the blader.
    Aply a cold pack to calm the nerves and reduce inflamation.

Yeast irrirates the whole region, epsecially when you had several yeast infections and your skin is already damaged /sensitive to it.

If you are taking Antiobitoics you have to ask your doctor asap for a precriptions of diflucan for at least 3 days if no more. If you can tolerate a local treatment, you could try that as well.

take extra probiotics but keep in mind that probiotics alone won't cure a yeat infection. They will help replenish the flora.
    Macrobid and macrodantin are supposed to be excreted only in the urine but I think a portion of it still kills the good bacteria in the vagina. It is better to prevent a yeast infection than to cure it.

Azo yeast is for people who get mild or very few yeast infecions. Maybe to take it long term. I rather use a strong probiotic like VSL#3 or one designed for urogenital health like Femdophilus, Even Kefir if you can tolerate as it is acidic.
    If you get chronic more resistant yeasts, you need something stronger.
    Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
    UTIs since mid 2004
    Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006
    Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
    Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)
    Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
    D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
    Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
    Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
    Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
    Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
    Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
    Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
    BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

treated yeast infection, no pain today

I was examined yesterday by another new Uro and he told me I had a yeast infection. So I bought some antibiotic cream and used it last night before bed. I woke up this morning-no pain. Absolutely no IC symtoms. And I have been in a miserable flair for 3 weeks now. Very interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by JennaS View Post
    I was examined yesterday by another new Uro and he told me I had a yeast infection. So I bought some antibiotic cream and used it last night before bed. I woke up this morning-no pain. Absolutely no IC symtoms. And I have been in a miserable flair for 3 weeks now. Very interesting....
    If you had a yeast infection you were probbably precribed an anti-yeast cream, like one of the "azole" group.
    I hope your doctor didn't prescribe you antibiotics to treat yeast...
    They did that to me by mistake once and I had no idea until later.

Glad you are feeling better but please check if what you had was yeast or bacteria infection, to be on the safe side....

I was very naive before and wrong things were prescribed to me. Later I learned never to take a prescription by describing my symptoms over the phone.
    Doctor must culture or at least look under the microscope.
    Wish a nice day to all... yeast free day
    UTIs since mid 2004
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)

BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

JennaS, what were your symptoms for the three weeks and what cream did you buy? I just called my uro and he called in Monistat 7 day treatment. Can't we just buy that over the counter? I wish he would have just given me a prescription for diflucan but he said the Monistat would cure it.

Did anyone ever have a bad or good reaction to just using the Monistat for their yeast infection? Now I am afraid to use it. I hate this viscious cycle Thanks for any replies.
    Medications:
    heart beat)
    Elmiron 100mgs 3 x day
    Zegerid 40mgs for gerd
    Hydrocodone when needed

Supplements:

Have a wonderful husband and 3 darling children and precious sheppard named Peppie who are all my true angels Dedicating this for my Mom who also had IC and is now my in heaven.

Monistat is generally the one that irritates the most among yeast creams according to what I have read in threads.
    UTIs since mid 2004
    IC dx 3/2006
    V V dx 12/2006

Current IC medications:
    Cysta Q (since 5/07)

Quote Originally Posted by formom View Post
    JennaS, what were your symptoms for the three weeks and what cream did you buy? I just called my uro and he called in Monistat 7 day treatment. Can't we just buy that over the counter? I wish he would have just given me a prescription for diflucan but he said the Monistat would cure it.

Did anyone ever have a bad or good reaction to just using the Monistat for their yeast infection? Now I am afraid to use it. I hate this viscious cycle Thanks for any replies.
    Well, to put it mildly I call Monistat in any form white devil in a tube :
    I suffered from chronic yeast for ten years (pre-IC and VV) and even then that stuff tore me up and for me did not cure the yeast. Yes it is sold OTC...
    If you read above in my previous post I can use OTC gynelotrimin ( generic clotrimazole) and do not have the reaction to it like I do to other yeast creams. It is actually soothing for me and does cure my yeast. I can always find it at Walgreens, sometimes Walmart keeps it in stock but behind the counter, no Rx needed, you just have to ask the pharmacist if they have it.

Personally, just me, I have not had much luck with Diflucan, though many others do. However, I usually do have a stash of Diflucan to take along with the clotrimazole as a double defense in case the yeast is bad or lingers. However, you will not know if monistat or its generic forms or any other yeast cream will work for you or cause you problems unless you try it, sad to say?So what I have learned to do is try a test spot for at least 12 hrs before applying/inserting the entire dose of anything that I am putting down there.
    These are the 4 things I know for sure do not cause me a contact reaction and actually help with either curing a yeast infection and/or treating the symptoms:
    OTC clotrimazole
    Rx lidocaine gel
    cold packs
    FemGlide Lube (I buy on the internet from a reputable online drugstore)

Best wishes, hope you get some relief soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Angeles View Post
    If you had a yeast infection you were probbably precribed an anti-yeast cream, like one of the "azole" group.
    I hope your doctor didn't prescribe you antibiotics to treat yeast...
    They did that to me by mistake once and I had no idea until later.

Glad you are feeling better but please check if what you had was yeast or bacteria infection, to be on the safe side....

I was very naive before and wrong things were prescribed to me. Later I learned never to take a prescription by describing my symptoms over the phone.
    Doctor must culture or at least look under the microscope.
    Wish a nice day to all... yeast free day
    I have to agree with Angeles here. Although I suffered from chronic alternating yeast and bacterial vaginosis infections for 10 years, and I did become pretty wise in being able to determine which was yeast and which was BV and what I needed to treat with, sometimes these two infections can occur at the SAME TIME, as if one weren't enough. So I learned that anytime I wasn't absolutely sure what I was dealing with, tests in office were absolutely necesessary. Yeast treatments can be bought OTC, but as far as I know antibiotic treatments for any form of bacterial vaginosis are not sold OTC. So test for BV always imperative.
    But to kinda go back to Anniepie who started this thread, yes, absolutely, yeast and/or vaginal bacterial infections may aggravate IC or VV symptoms or feel like IC symptoms or UTI symptoms, especially to those of us here who are already dealing with at least IC, if not other related conditions.

Thank you soo much for that information and what you do. At least I can try a little and see what happens. I told my uro that alot of ic patients get irritated from the Monistat but he really did not say anything. Who knows!!!
    Anyway, thanks again for that detailed response, it was soo helpful and calming for me in a way to know I can at least try other options. Have a great day.
    Medications:
    heart beat)
    Elmiron 100mgs 3 x day
    Zegerid 40mgs for gerd
    Hydrocodone when needed

Supplements:

Quote Originally Posted by Angeles View Post
    Yeast will irritate the uretrha and you'll get urgency becuase of that. Drink plenty of water to flush things and prevent the yeats to enter the blader.
    Aply a cold pack to calm the nerves and reduce inflamation.

Yeast irrirates the whole region, epsecially when you had several yeast infections and your skin is already damaged /sensitive to it.

If you are taking Antiobitoics you have to ask your doctor asap for a precriptions of diflucan for at least 3 days if no more. If you can tolerate a local treatment, you could try that as well.

take extra probiotics but keep in mind that probiotics alone won't cure a yeat infection. They will help replenish the flora.
    Macrobid and macrodantin are supposed to be excreted only in the urine but I think a portion of it still kills the good bacteria in the vagina. It is better to prevent a yeast infection than to cure it.

Azo yeast is for people who get mild or very few yeast infecions. Maybe to take it long term. I rather use a strong probiotic like VSL#3 or one designed for urogenital health like Femdophilus, Even Kefir if you can tolerate as it is acidic.
    If you get chronic more resistant yeasts, you need something stronger.
    Can you please tell me where you get your probiotic VSL#3? I went to a pharmacy that sells natural and regular meds and she said she never heard of it. I would really like to try this. Thanks, Renee'
    Medications:
    heart beat)
    Elmiron 100mgs 3 x day
    Zegerid 40mgs for gerd
    Hydrocodone when needed

Supplements:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information