Uristat, Azo.................

Hi ladies, wasn't really sure where to put this so thouht I'd pop it in here lol!

I was wondering how many of you take uristat, Azo........(all the same thing I think) to try to calm the bladder down??? I know they can be used for bacterial cystitis & I also know that when I have that awful "dragging" feeling in my Uretha (which I think I read is the sides of your bladder touching......ouch!) so hence, know a flare is coming, that it really does help to calm things down. I'm just a little catious of taking it because I'm sure you shouldn't take it too often???????????????
    Can anyone give me some advice please???

thanks ladies & warm healing hugs to you all
    xx

It works like magic for me for bladder and vaginal burning. Yes, there are limits on how much should be taken....no more than 600 mg/day for three days in a row it was is usually recommended. I get mine prescribed under the name Pyridium. My dr gives me 30/month, but I use no more than one in a day and usually not every day since my symptoms come and go as they please and I rarely have flares anymore that last for days on end, at least not in a long time. ANyway, it works great for me, others report success with it, others say they it makes them feel ill. There are are options if you are concerned about longterm usage....Prosed DS, Urelle, Utira-c, I think are all similar meds that might be safer for longterm use. But if is to help you with a flare and you haven't already been using it, then if it were me I wouldn't worry. Any concerns you have about it you can always ask your pharmacist and/or dr. My pharmacist and dr ok'd me to take it as needed, since I usually never need more than 200 mg a day and usually not everyday.
    In remission since Aug 2009! My apologies but I will no longer respond to private messages regarding my IC and VV symptoms, diagnosis, treatments, remission, lifestyle changes including my diet or stress management techniques, etc. I am simply too busy. If you have questions please refer to my remission thread as well as the other 6000 something posts I have made on this board....they pretty much cover it all from beginning to end.

My remission story: Healing from the Inside Out
    http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?75536-My-remission-healing-from-the-inside-out

What helped me get to and stay in remission? stress reduction, diet, time, meditation, stress reduction, stress reduction, stress reduction!--I no longer take medications for IC, PFD,VV, anxiety, or depression. Making career and lifestyle changes to reduce stress and learning techniques to manage anxiety set the stage for my bladder to heal.
    My history: No history of bladder issues***Onset of IC and VV sxs Nov 2003***Diagnosed Nov 2004 based on symptoms and hydro/biopsy results***Cysto-Hydro did not give therapeutic relief, I had complications and long recovery ***Hunner's Ulcers found and removed during hydro***Symptoms: the usual~pain, burning, spasms, frequency, urgency, nocturia, lower back and upper thigh pain, very bloated "IC Belly"

I am like Briza, it can work wonders for me. And the same...one a day, and not every day works well for me.
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC?

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Briza & Julie

Hi Briza & Julie, thank you for your help with this one. I live in England & unfortunatley IC is not well known here. None of the doctors at my surgery know anything about it which can leave me feeling really quite isolated & obviously get little advice. One of the nurses is familiar with vulvodynia but again, not the IC. If I was therefore to ask my doctor to prescibe me with Uristat (or something the same with a different name as no one here has even heard of it lol) he wouldn't be familiar with prescribing it for "long term use" so to speak. So glad I've got this site & all you wonderful ladies

So.......would it be kind of safe to say that if I took say 3 a week every week, would that be "normal" for ladies with our condition. I know your not doctors & that all of us are different but just trying to get some answers really. It works well for me (can sometimes cause a headache) & would like to use it more often. I have looked up uristat on the net & got about another 12 names for this so gonna take it to my GP any to see what he says. Other wise I guess I'll have to buy them from the 100's of places on the net you can get them ay lol!!!

Thanks ladies & big healing hugs to you all
    xx

Before I went into remission I would average about 3 a week. Like I said my dr was willing to give me 30 a month, but usually I would have at least 15 left at the end of the month. After my hydro my doctor prescribed for me to take 3 a day for a month. Not usually recommended but it works for me and I had a pretty bad time with the hydro recovery...long and painful, but the pyridium helped so much is why she prescribed it that way.
    On the uristat box it should say somewhere what the generic name is. That's the name you would need to tell your doctor. I know it starts with a P but can't remember right now. let me run downstairs and get my Pyridium and I'll tell you.
    ok the generic name is phenazopyridine. hope this helps. it helps me a lot w/ not only the burning in my bladder but also w/ my vulvodynia
    In remission since Aug 2009! My apologies but I will no longer respond to private messages regarding my IC and VV symptoms, diagnosis, treatments, remission, lifestyle changes including my diet or stress management techniques, etc. I am simply too busy. If you have questions please refer to my remission thread as well as the other 6000 something posts I have made on this board....they pretty much cover it all from beginning to end.

http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?75536-My-remission-healing-from-the-inside-out

What helped me get to and stay in remission? stress reduction, diet, time, meditation, stress reduction, stress reduction, stress reduction!--I no longer take medications for IC, PFD,VV, anxiety, or depression. Making career and lifestyle changes to reduce stress and learning techniques to manage anxiety set the stage for my bladder to heal.
    My history: No history of bladder issues***Onset of IC and VV sxs Nov 2003***Diagnosed Nov 2004 based on symptoms and hydro/biopsy results***Cysto-Hydro did not give therapeutic relief, I had complications and long recovery ***Hunner's Ulcers found and removed during hydro***Symptoms: the usual~pain, burning, spasms, frequency, urgency, nocturia, lower back and upper thigh pain, very bloated "IC Belly"

Unhappy

Hi Briza - bless ya thanks for getting back to me so quick It does seem to help with my Vulovdynia too. It's the V that's the worst for me :o( I have a constant burning between my legs. Some days it's like having pins at the top of my vulva that are being caught on my knickers drives me mad I don't seem to cope with the vulva pain at all. I had a flare up of this yesterday & the pain in my cliterous was unbareable I do think that my V is a symptom of my bladder. If my bladders calm, my V isn't so bad. If I eat something wrong & my bladder starts to ache the V gets worse Sure is hard to deal with ay! I feel like I'll never have a pain free day again - pain started in january & hasn't stopped since
    Thanks for your help Briza, it's good to know someones there
    Big hugs
    xx

Becky
    Yep, that was the way it was for me, too...any time my bladder acted up things would work their way down and yes I had that pins and needles sensation from pretty much the top of the hairline all the way down and between my legs and then spread to my entire bum, or at least the part you sit on ;( So yes I have also always felt that it was an extension of my bladder problems.
    PFD and Vulvodynia continue to bother me at times but not like the year long flare I had in the beginning...things have calmed down so much down there, I hope the same for you...have you talked to your doctor about low dose valium and licodaine? I took 2 mg valium 3/day for a while at that helped immensely and lidocaine gel I don't leave the house without it.But yeah, a bad case of vulvodynia can make a gal go If I had to choose between the IC and V, I'd take the IC anyday...hard to believe unless you have been there!

Briza

Hi Briza - thanks for all your replies - it sure does help to know that ladies go into remission on the V side to! I've been in constant pain down there since January, but I'd say the "sensitivity" in the vulva area has been for about 4/5 months now & it sure can drive me crazy same as you, if I had the choice I most certainly would not choose Vulvodynia!!!!!!!!!!

I went to see my doctor & he's asked me to write to my uro & if he's happy with it my doc will see if he can get on a prescription for me If he can't I'll get it over the net anyway! On another thread I was told about Elma cream - it's lidocaine & prilocaine. Have you ever tried that??? The lidocaine on it's own is not doing much for me My doc done a pre for me on that one so will pick it up today - finger crossed!

Any other tips on how you went into remission would be great to hear! Anythings worth a try PM me anytime Briza

Thanks again & big healing hugs
    xx

ICN Member
    hi becky
    I'm from the UK too
    Uristat and AZO are an over the counter form. they are not licensed in the UK but maybe a urologist may be able to do it on a named patient basis.
    I have been unable to get this.

It is available in chemists in europe and the US.
    Even on UK ebay from US chemists!
    I and most UK ICers get theirs off the net.

Pyridium is the prescription form which I think is 300mg instead of 100mg.

Hope this helps!

Hi there & thanks for the tip There seems to be more & more ladies joining here from England so nice to "meet" you (not that it's a good thing that we're suffering ay!) I do shop off the net - not sure if I'm aloud to say where??? I've done a lot of research to find the cheapest place for all my products. You can PM me if you'd like to know where I'm gonna write a letter to my uro to see what he says - it sure would be cheaper to get these things on prescription ay!

Big healing hugs
    xx

ICN Member
    I am reviving this thread- anyone have NO EFFECT from AZO/PYRIDINE?

I just had it and it's not helping much- has anyone else ever experienced this?

Did you take just one dose? It sometimes takes multiple doses taken as directed to be most effective.

ICN Member
    i had just one pill. are we supposed to have two? (the packet says 95 mg i had one out of the packet).

Hi
    Yes, for the OTC pyridium in the little plastic packages, two pills = one dose.
    My prescription pyridium is one large 200 mg tablet, tho I have also gotten good enough relief with the smaller OTC dose but I always took both of the little tabs in the packet.

Briza is right, it might take up to 200 mg. I have the Rx also, mainly because it is cheaper.

Also, if you take it for a few days around the clock, you may find it has reduced effectiveness. I usually only take it at night to help me get to sleep if I need it. :-)
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC?

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Thread Information