Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014
    ICN Member

pushing to force pee out

how many of you sometimes sit on the toilet for a long time, pushing to get any drop of pee out? well. i did that all day today and i noticed this make my bladder flare worse! I will never do this again. I have been drinking a lot more water because i have a uti and im on cipro. i feel horrible

i was told by a gynocologist to douche with bentadine medicated douche, because of my bacterial vaginosis. i did it and it caused me problems and i will never go to him again! douching is bad! i think thats how i got my uti! i have not had a uti in 14 years

I used to have to strain to get all my urine out, but I do not anymore since my uro put me on flomax, which is a drug for men to treat prostate issues, but it is used in women with IC now because flomax relaxes smooth muscles, like the bladder neck. so now when I sit down to pee, it just comes out!

and you should never ever push to pee!! I did not know this. and so I have given myself pelvic floor dysfunction. was pushing to pee for years and years. doing pfd physical therapy now. WHen I push and when I push to have a bowel movement I ALWAYS have a horrible flare immediately after.

hope your uro can discuss other ways to help you get all your urine out. and u could have pfd since pushing urine out puts you in such a bad flare. might wanna ask about it.

hope you feel better very soon!

~hilary~

Diagnosed w:
    Moderate/severe IC-unable to work or finish school
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
    Fibromyalgia
    IBS-C
    chronic low level strep in system
    severe allergies
    (Bioset program is curing my allergies)

I find if I try to relax and take a few slow, deep breaths plus (this sounds weird) if I lift my legs slightly - especially my left leg and sort of tilt over to the right - I get a really good flow going.
    This position doesn't always work so I adjust it. Sometimes leaning way over and resting my stomach on my thighs works.
    Sometimes I spread my legs way far apart and lean forward or back - depending on which one seems best.
    The worst thing for me is to just sit there upright and be tense - will not get a "good flow" going that way!
    Dx'd with PBS, PFD and uro genital atrophy in 4/07,
    Self dx - General Anxiety Disorder (all my life)
    Ulcerative colitis (one and only attack but a terrible one -almost lost my colon) 1999.
    Meds, etc.
    Asacol - 10 per day
    Estrace 1 gram, 3 x per week (for atrophic urogenital area.) I'm post-menopausal.
    Had 6 weeks of PFD therapy summer of 2007.
    Alternative medicine I practice:
    Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs (daily)
    Acupuncture/Traditional Chinese Medicine (MD) for above conditions one time per mo.
    Yoga (daily)
    Exercise - daily - used to run but now I walk a few miles or row for 1/2 hr.
    Meditation and prayer.
    Self hypnosis for stress and anxiety.
    Tai Chi - also, not as often as I should - few times a week.
    Homeopathy (cantharsis 30x for burning.)

It's never a good idea to strain to urinate --- it will only cause increased inflammation and swelling.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

its funny how things change...just a year ago I could go for hrs without the need to "go" now its like I have to go every 1/2hr..haha...I know the feeling of sitting on the toilet...waiting..thinking "yup, its coming...right now...soon...shoot!" then you feel that twinge...and voila....a few drops!!!! God help us! ...you have to laugh sometimes

IBS since 1989
    Fibromyalgia since 2001
    Ocular Rosacea since 2007
    IC July 2008
    Plantar Fasciitis

Meds:
    Tramacet
    Elmiron 100mg X3
    Heparin Instills (once every 3 weeks)

Blessed indeed is the woman who hears many gentle voices call her Mother!

meditation time

You have to laugh sometimes , I too have had to push to get my urine out but now know NEVER to do this again. I have started to try to relax, almost put myself into a meditative state to relax enough to allow the urine to come out.
    Crazy huh, meditate to pee !!
    What ever works, I guess
    with love, Katherine

IC onset 31 dx 37, dx with TMJ at 14, dx with IBS and PFD at 43
    current meds;
    150 mg Lyrica 2 x a day Plus 50 mg at bed time
    0.05mg Levothroid
    BC Pills and a ton of vitamins. (Glucosamine Condr. NO MSN, Niacin, Turmeric Force, 2000 IU Vitamin D3, Calcium Citrate, Fish oil, Anti-Oxident, Vit B complex)
    IC Diet ~ very limited
    Total Motion Release Therapy

*** was on 500 mg Morphine a day for 9 years***
    ***May 14th 2009= 2 year OFF morphine !!! ***
    *****THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE*****

I sometimes have hesitation problems. This is really going to sound strange, but I have learned to "tease" my urethra with toilet paper by gently wiping once or twice. For some odd reason, this seems to relax things enough to begin a stream. Even if that stream stops, I do this again until I am able to get the rest of the urine out.

Yep...What ever works. We are a strange bunch.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I used to have to lean forward chest to kness to get the pee out. I also used to press on the area between vagina and rectum to have a bowel movement.
    I have been pretty symptom free for 3 weeks and have no problems sitting upright to pee and no pressing on the area to have a bowel movement. I also quit taking Vesicare 3 weeks ago and have no hesitations...the urine just flows and I am no longer constipated all the time.

Thumbs up

That is happy news.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonA View Post
    I sometimes have hesitation problems. This is really going to sound strange, but I have learned to "tease" my urethra with toilet paper by gently wiping once or twice. For some odd reason, this seems to relax things enough to begin a stream. Even if that stream stops, I do this again until I am able to get the rest of the urine out.

Yep...What ever works. We are a strange bunch.
    Sharon, I LOL when I read your post! I do this too!!!!! How weird is that?!!! I always thought it was just a weird thing that worked for me, but didnt know anyone else did this too! We ARE a weird bunch alright! LOL! (I wonder how many others this works for too!)

I also use the old trick my Mom used to toilet train us kids....run the tap water!! It works all the time

IBS since 1989
    Fibromyalgia since 2001
    Ocular Rosacea since 2007
    IC July 2008
    Plantar Fasciitis

Meds:
    Tramacet
    Elmiron 100mg X3
    Heparin Instills (once every 3 weeks)

Blessed indeed is the woman who hears many gentle voices call her Mother!

ICN Member
    I had a nurse tell me that when she worked in the maturnity ward, they would tell the women who had a hard time peeing afterwards to get a glass of water and use a straw and blow bubbles while you are trying to pee, that this seemed to work for alot of the women.( I found that odd, but hey, if it works, it works and thats great.)
    Jen

Thread Information