Foods that make urine acidic/alkaline

Hi there,

What do you think about this articule:

I find it very strange, example:

"Orange juice is a highly acidic food due to its high citrus acid content, but after being metabolized it will cause urine to become alkaline."

Isn't all that all against all our charts??
    Last edited by SharonA; 08-14-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: deleted link to online sales...This is not allowed on the ICNetwork Forums

I don't think the charts are telling us which foods are alkaline producing and which are acid producing. I think the charts were a culmination of information from actual IC sufferers saying which foods cause them the most pain. So, the usually problematic column isn't problematic for everyone, but the majority polled. And the usually okay column is usually ok for most, but I'm certain there are some foods in that column that irritate some ICers.

I wouldn't put too much stock in trying to get your urine alkaline. Afterall, alkaline urine is a sign of a problem, usually an infection. So, I think making your urine alkaline on a non stop basis would cause other issues like vaginal pH changes and could allow bacteria in the bladder to profusely reproduce.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

I know it's not best to have alkaline urine, but I found some indication on "normal PH values" around 7.

mine is 5.
    Last edited by SharonA; 08-14-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: deleted link to online sales...This in not allowed on the ICNetwork Forums

I've not seen urine pH to be 7 normally. However, I have read many articles that say it should ideally be about 6, but labs will tell you the range is 4.5 - 8.0 Slightly acidic appears to be best. Yours does seem to be pretty acidic. Do you eat a lot of meat? Or are you on a low carb diet? Are you only checking pH of first morning urine which is always the most acidic? Or is it consistenly 5 all day every day? I only ask this because the kidneys balance your acid-base balance by removal of sodium and potassium, so your pH value should vary. Your kidneys adjust to the need of the body at the time.

I do believe I read once that high sodium diets tend to produce acidic urine, but I can't find the publication.

I have read before that a diet high in vegetables, legumes, and dairy help to increase the pH of urine. Mostly vegetarians would achieve this easily.

You could also try a water that has a higher pH to help neutralize your acidic state. I drink Essentia, which has a pH of 9.5.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Thanks a lot for the information..

I checked for a couple of days, despite the IC diet the PH is about 5 all day long.

I don't eat much meat and a lot of vegetables and carboidrates, but maybe too much salt..

From today, I started to drink Evian, so let's see how it goes..

I'll discuss it with the doctor, i guess!

Thanks again
    April

Thread Information