Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial Seeks Women with Moderate To Severe Bladder Pain
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone here use a Vaginal Estrogen Cream

Does anyone here use a Vaginal Estrogen cream? My GYN put me on that before the diagnosis of IC.....I've been tracking my food and symptoms and shucks,it may be that the cream is aggravating my vagina...that or the soap I have to use to wash the applicator afterwards.I have a slight burning feeling but in the vagina not from the bladder I don't think.
    I use the cream 3 nights a week. It has helped with the dryness I was experiencng and GYn said it would eventually help my urethra and the"'twitching" feeling I get and it seems to have done that so I would hate to quit taking it. Jo

I was rx'd Estrace vaginal cream 4.5 yrs ago; I havent had any issues with it. Perhaps like you said, its the soap you're cleaning the applicator with thats causing the burning. I suppose the only way to test this theory is to change soaps. It would be a shame to have to stop using this as it seems to be helping you.

Hopefully you'll figure whats going on very soon.
    Wishing you well...
    Diana

I've been taking it for a year and have had no problems. I just wash it with a tiny dab of mild hand soap and rinse it a lot with cool water. Then I lightly wrap it up in tp and put it in the medicine cabinet. Seems to work for me.

Do you take any progesterone with it? Are you menopausal or post-menopausal?
    Dx'd with PBS, PFD and uro genital atrophy in 4/07,
    Self dx - General Anxiety Disorder (all my life)
    Ulcerative colitis (one and only attack but a terrible one -almost lost my colon) 1999.
    Meds, etc.
    Asacol - 10 per day
    Estrace 1 gram, 3 x per week (for atrophic urogenital area.) I'm post-menopausal.
    Had 6 weeks of PFD therapy summer of 2007.
    Alternative medicine I practice:
    Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs (daily)
    Acupuncture/Traditional Chinese Medicine (MD) for above conditions one time per mo.
    Yoga (daily)
    Exercise - daily - used to run but now I walk a few miles or row for 1/2 hr.
    Meditation and prayer.
    Self hypnosis for stress and anxiety.
    Tai Chi - also, not as often as I should - few times a week.
    Homeopathy (cantharsis 30x for burning.)

I am definitely post menopausal...66 years old. I strongley suspect the liquid hand soap..and I think it's antibacterial as well!! I'm going to try some very mild soap and I am getting a refill on prescription and will get a new applicator with it and start fresh with that one.(Just in case the soap I have been using penetrated the plastic applicator in some way.) Jo

ICN Member

Estrace

Use vaginal cream two times a week and smear it around vulvar area as well. Love it, it has helped me greatly. Just because you take oral estrogen does not mean your vagina and vulva have enough.
    Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
    Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

I had been using Vagifem, but now I am on Estrace every day. The Uro gyno that I went to said that the Vagifem was not enough and wanted me to use the Estrace every night before I go to bed until my next Dr's appt on the 14th of this month. I have no trouble with either one of them. I wash the applicator with regular liguid hand soap, not the anti-bacterial kind.
    Meds I take:
    Elmiron, Elavil, Vagifem- for IC
    Albuterol, Flovent, Atrovent- for Asthma and lung problems
    Paxil, Clonazepam- for depression and Anxiety
    Atenolol- for rapid heart rate
    Nexium- for Gerd
    Levothyroxin- for Hypothyroidism
    Lasix, Pottasium- for edema
    Lipitor- for High Cholesterol
    I coated aspirin
    02 at bedtime

ICN Member

Had burning reaction also!

I'm post-menopausal and my gyno also prescribed estrogen cream. First it was Premarin. I had vaginal burning so I asked him to prescribe Estrace. He was amazed that I had burning. I guess it's not a common symptom. Sure enough the Estrace caused burning also but I continued to take it for awhile since I was not sure if it was vaginal burning or IC related.

During the period I went to a urogyn and described the burning symptom and he prescribed vagifem (pills vaginally inserted). That seemed to relieve the burning for awhile but it started up again.

I did a lot of research and decided that the propylene glycol in the creams and also in the vagifem were causing my problems. I called a local compounding pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist who was a very understanding compassionate lady. She called my gyn and compounded the estrogen without propylene glycol in a mild base.

It has worked wonders and I feel so much better! I think that post-menopausal women have very sensitive tissue and sometimes the ingredients in commerical estrogen cream aggrevate the skin. My skin was red and very irritated. I dreaded using the estrogen cream and skipped it often. Now I feel much better!

I hope you find relief...

Yes, Premarin burns like fire for me, so I also have a compounded estriol in petroleum jelly. I do not use that internally, only on the vulva and urethra for now.

I experience a slight burn when I put the estrogen on the vulva because I have atrophic vaginitis and I read that if your tissues are low on estrogen, it may burn a bit when they first start absorbing it. I don't know if that is medically true as I have not researched that further.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Thanks for all the input.I got the new applicator and bought some hypo-allergenic baby wash and used it last night. So far so good. No burning.It is Premarin I'm using.

ICN Member
    I use Estrace Cream. It used to burn a little, but it doesn't happen very often now that I've been on it for a few months. It has helped my bladder considerably.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

estrace and weight gain

Since I have been on estrace for vestibulitis I have gained a signifcant amoutnt of weight. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem?

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by judy45 View Post
    Since I have been on estrace for vestibulitis I have gained a signifcant amoutnt of weight. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem?
    Judy, I've been using Estrace Cream since April, and have not put on any weight.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

I have not gained any weight from Premarin cream either.

Vagina Atrophy

I'm menopausal and told I have terrible vaginal atrophy. It hurts and burns and my bladder feels awful at times. No infection. Thought I had yeast--but no evidence seen by doctor.

Was given Estrace to use. I didn't realize it helps the bladder as well. How long does it take before you feel relief?

Thanks,
    T
    Diagnosed With:
    Myofascial Pain Disorder/Chronic Fatigue Immune Disorder
    Benign Positional Vertigo
    Moderate IC & Vulvodynia

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TKC View Post
    I'm menopausal and told I have terrible vaginal atrophy. It hurts and burns and my bladder feels awful at times. No infection. Thought I had yeast--but no evidence seen by doctor.

Was given Estrace to use. I didn't realize it helps the bladder as well. How long does it take before you feel relief?

Thanks,
    T
    Last April, I started out using 2 grams (1/2 of the applicator) every night for 2 weeks, then went to every other night for another 2 weeks. I am down to using the Estrace Cream 3 times a week, and am still using 2 grams. I should only be using 1 gram twice a week by now, but I find that I need to continue on with what I am currently doing. (And my Dr. is okay with that).

The bladder infections stopped immediately, but it probably took about a month-or-so to get the full effects. I also started taking FemHRT 0.5/2.5 not long after I had started the Estrace Cream.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information