Latest Blog Article: Cyclosporine Study Seeks Men and Women Who Have Failed Previous IC/BPS Therapies
    ICN Member

CYSTO and BLADDER stretching????

Okay, so I had my uro appointment yesterday, and felt I left and was so overwhelmed with the visit that I forgot to ask a ton of questions...man!
    So here I am with an appointment for surgery and lots of answered questions.
    I have to have a general anestetic (sp?) and he is going to stretch my bladder (putting water in it) and then check things out with a mini camera.

My question is....does this and will this allevaite my IC symptoms!? I am so confused....! He said this surgery may last two months of relief, and then I may have to have it again or it may last two years for relief....that everyone is different.

But I am thinking he means relief of urgency, right? I gues I am confused, becuase I pee every 30 minutes, a full pee, I have never had bit of pee dribbles, nadda...I pee a full pee, so is a bladder stretching what I need?

Will my IC symptoms be relieved...??

I am handling my IC through diet right now, and again using natural methods of UNDA drops (this takes a month to notice any change...)

Has anyone else just had the bladder stretching done, and that was it??

He also said he uses plain water to strech the bladder?? do I worry of complications??? ugh!

I worry becuase I have low platelets.....does this surgery cause bleeding? as this is where my issue of low platlets cause me stress...

HELP??? anyone have any advice....please let me know

thank you, kind regards,
    Last edited by bluetou; 11-13-2008 at 08:36 AM.

It sounds like the procedure planned is a hydrodistention. Not everyone has relief from the procedure, but I am one of the lucky ones. For me a hydrodistention can last anywhere from six months to two years. For the last several years it's been about a year before symptoms return. I still have to watch my diet and occasionally take antispasmodics, however.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Tanya...I think it would be a good idea to call the doctor's office Monday morning and maybe schedule a consult with the doctor or someone else who can sit with you so you can talk all of this out. Just in case you are able to do that, spend some time this weekend writing the questions on a piece of paper. If you are unable to get a consult appointment before the scheduled procedure, you might want to think about postponing it until you are able to talk with someone about your concerns.

Like Donna said, she and many others do get symptom relief from the hydro. I am not sure if the cysto/hydro was the cause, but I did feel better for awhile after it was done. I did not have much bleeding, just a tint of red when I urinated the first few times after the procedure.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    Thank you for the posts Sharon and Donna. Yes Sharon I should have been prepped with more questions...but I was a bit caught off gaurd with the quick date of my surgery, and the few things I wanted to ask him were out of my head....

Thank you Donna for sharing with me that this procedure worked for you. I need to feel that this will help me. thank you for sharing.

I forgot to ask if my cysts were related to ic at all/the pain...etc...

anyway...not sure if I can get another consultation, this guy is so busy and I was lucky to get in so quickly.....I need to do some of my own reasearch at this point....I mean my urologist is head of the LARGEST UNIVERSITY here, and he heads the department of UROLOGY at our Largest Hospital, so I know he is the best. So I do feel a bit at ease knowing this.

BUT I HAVE TO ASK.....ONE THING I need to know....WHEN I PEE, I PEE. NOT just a dribble, or an urge....I HAVE A FLOW OF PEE each time. I have measured it, it is a normal large pee. I drink tons of water, so my VOLUME OF PEE is normal I would say.....BUT my question is....is that PART OF IC???

I read on the boards that people have urgency, with drops of pee, nothing comes...etc...but this is not the case for me, I HAVE A HUGE VOLUME of pee, do you all have this, a normal pee.

I NEVER have just a dribble, or a nothing....

Can someone help me out on this question. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by bluetou; 11-13-2008 at 08:35 AM.

ICN Member
    I would definitely ask for a consult with your doctor before you jump into this blindly. Like Donna said, there are some who get relief and some who do not and some who have gotten worse after this procedure. It all really depends. Have you tried the less invasive things first such as medications, and diet? Have your tried elmiron? I would definitely give these a try first. Is he suggesting a hydro as a basis for a diagnosis or just for treatment?
    Jen

ICN Member
    hi jen, thanks for the info/advice.....i have yet to be diagnosed for IC, I have all the symptoms for ic, but have not had the cystoscopy to have it checked and confirmed...so this is happening the same time he does the "water" distention. He is not using anything but water to flush out the bladder.

You see I am not able to go under general anestetic many times...I have a low immune system and a low platelet problem....so the entire surgery is freaking me out to begin with....

I am so confused at this point, and just want relief I guess.

No i have not tried elmiron, was given this drug a month ago from my general practitioner, and I did not get it .....I do not want to take meds. ANd according to my urologist he states that elmiron works for 40 percent of his patients (and the general public) and it takes 6 months to work.

UGH....i don't know....I am going natural right now with UNDA drops, but am only two weeks into them, and it takes four weeks for them to begin to show results...

I am more confused....isn't that what IC does.....it can drive me crazy and make me consfused, make me depressed, make me angry.......

breathe....I need to go do some yoga....

kind regards,

ICN Member
    Thanks for your info. and insight.

I agree that this operation will help determine whether I have IC or not.
    I agree that the benifits out weight the risks....I am just scared....

Thanks for sharing with me that you have a high volume of pee and the amount of water your drink and go to the restroom. CHEERS....I believe we drink the same amount of water....sometimes I drink more...depending on if I am home and have access to the water cooler...etc...

I know my bladder does empty as when they did an u/s on my stomach a month ago....i had a full bladder, then I was asked to pee, and she did the u/s again after I emptied my bladder and it showed just about empty...

I dunno...I do know when I pee.....it seems as though I am finished...and then if i bring my upper body forward a bit, gentle pressure as I exhale into my abdomen...more pee comes out....and then if I put pressure into my feet like a standing squat, even more pee will come out.....I am the PEE machine! that just keeps on peeing....It is such a frustration of rhyme and riddle for me to pee and get my bladder empty....only to repeat the cycle 30 minutes later.

I thank you for your info
    Kind regards,

Hi Tanya,
    I'm Julie and I just had a cysto/ Hydro distention this past Monday!!! And, I believe this is the same procedure you will be having done! Yes, it is to help the bladder in both pain and urgency!! At least that is how my Uro explained it to me. Making the bladder larger not only give you more room for urine, but also makes it bigger so the urine (which is acidic) want irititate the hemorrahges (?) in your bladder!! I tell you about my experinces so you will know what to except, since I just had mine:
    When I woke up I was in pain, but the nurse were quick to bring my pain level down! And, thank goodness for IV's because you can feel the med's almost immediately!! I had to stay the night bc my procedure was so late in the day. (4pm) I do not know if this is standard, but my doctor said he wasn't sending me home with a cath and plus I could keep the IV in and that could control my pain overnight!! To be honest, after the intial waking up and figuring out where you are and what you had done, my pain wasnt' to bad!! At first it was very painful when I woke up, I can remember crying, but like I said the nurses were right there to take care of the pain. After that I wa Flying High!!! When I finally got discharged my mom and I went to drop off my script at Target and we shopped for awhile!! I was feeling great because they had loaded me up on pain med's before I left!
    But, after the intial waking up you will be fine! Your doc will give you pain meds for home and you will be out of work a week! at least that is what my uro has made me be out!! He told me no ands ifs or buts!! But, I work for the post office and deliver mail so i don't think he wanted me lifting!
    But, FYI!! When you do get discharged and just bc at the moment you feel like superwoman bc of the med's, go home and go to bed!
    Me being smart, after shopping at target I came home watered all my plants (lifting those heavy watering jugs) and the next day I couldn't move! So, when they say NO LIFTING they mean NO LIFTING!!! I got a small but large lecture from my doctor when I called and told him I counldn't move, and when he asked if I had went home and went to bed, and I said no, he lectured me!! We have a 27yr relationship!! I'm 31 now, I was 4 when I started seeing him!! He can talk to me like my dad and get away with it!!
    But, RESULTS!!!! Today I only took advil and that was bc of my period! My bladder isn't hurting!!!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: You do not know how long it has been for me to say those words! My bladder isn't hurting!! I don't care that I'm cramping, at least it isn't my bladder!!
    And, like Donna said it depends on each pt how long this procedure lasts!! my doctor said alot of his pts have lasted 10mths! BUT, IT WAS WORTH EVERY BIT OF PAIN IN THE RECOVERY ROOM, TO BE SITTING HERE ALMOST A WEEK LATER PAIN FREE!!!!:woohoo:
    I hope and pray I stay pain free because IC sucks!! And, I hope and pray that you will have the same results as me and in a few weeks you will PM me and tell me how well you are doing!! Good luck!! If you have any questions or I didn't make since PM and I will be glad to give you my advice!! It is just my experience but I know what you are going thru!!
    Julie

Tanya,
    Julie Again!! I just read about being put to sleep! The whole procedure last 25-35 minutes if that! Takes longer to get you in the right position and fully asleep then the procedure takes! Everytime I'm put to sleep I ask the Anesthesologist am I going to wake up? And, they all tell me the same thing, it's my job!! Then I go on to tell them if I don't my family is going to sue them!!: And, one said that's why your going to wake up!! They always give me the medicine that puts me out after that, I wonder why???
    I promise you are going to be fine!! Surgery is scary whether it is your 1st or your 50th!! No one wants to be put to sleep, it's weird and scary all at the same time! One minute your talking to people in the OR, then you are waking up screaming pain med's! And, trying to figure out where the time went??? But, you will "A" okay!!! You need to find out what is wrong with your bladder, so they can help you! Trust me, there are many med's out there to help with going 30-60 times aday!! That is why I was first diagnosised in 2004 was for going 30-60 x's a day or more. It wasn't till march of this year the pain of IC set in and I hope you never have to experience the pain of IC bc it really does stink!! My Doctor put me on Vesicare for urgency and it is a miracle drugs! I take 20mg twice a day! If i do not take it, I can tell! We are all here for you morning, noon and night to talk! Your are definitely never alone!!
    Julie

ICN Member
    OH Julie, once again thank you so much for your post and information (very detailed, just what I needed)
    I forgot to ask you, so you mention having relief (yeah!), does the uro do a follow up appointment with you, did he give you an idea of how long your relief may last (as mine did).
    AND....when your symptoms do return back (let us hope they do not), but if they do....what does the URO do then...does he do it again..?? and is it general anestic again?? I guess I wonder how many times can one person be put under to have a bladder distention. Especially where relief may be only the 2 months as suggested....or do they do a local freeze and do it in office...etc...??
    Do you know?
    Does anyone know this answer?
    thanks again!
    Peace,

Thread Information