Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014
    No longer active

Adderall has aspartate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

I read a post a few days ago by someone named Jeff, I believe. He was unsuccessfully with Adderall for his IC.

When I looked on the Wiki link above, I found that aspartate is contained in Adderall.

Does anyone with a chem background know if aspartate is chemically related to aspartamine enough that it would be detrimental to IC?

On the Elmiron site, and Dr. Parsons also tells patients taking Elmiron that aspartame and other artificial sweeteners chemically BLOCK Elmiron.

That got me thinking....wonder if that's why Adderall was aggravating Jeff's IC???? or anyone else that has tried it????

Cut and pasted from WIKI:

Specifically, Adderall XR is composed of the following proportions of active ingredients[5]:

1/4 dextroamphetamine saccharate
    1/4 dextroamphetamine sulfate
    1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-amphetamine) aspartate monohydrate
    1/4 (racemic dextro/levo-amphetamine) sulfate
    These four salts are metabolized at different rates and possess diverse half lives, therefore resulting in a less dramatic onset and termination of therapeutic action; as compared to single-salt amphetamine preparations.[4]

The average elimination half-life in adults for dextroamphetamine and levoamphetamine is 10 hours and 13 hours respectively. Breakdown rates are affected by many factors including urinary and stomach pH, weight, gender, other medications being taken, and age.

Urinary and stomach pH levels can have the strongest effect on DL-amphetamine excretion and absorption. Co-administration of acidic substances (e.g. citric acid) causes an accelerated excretion of DL-amphetamine while co-administration of alkaline agents (e.g. antacids) causes a marked increase in both retention and absorption of amphetamines potentially resulting in dangerously high serum amphetamine levels.

Adderall's effects are similar to other CNS stimulants of the same class and preparation (see amphetamine for details).
    Last edited by justice4j; 07-18-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: left out words

Thread Information