Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

Antibiotics that treat Ecoli UTI's??

I was just wondering, what are all the antibiotics used to treat UTI's? The reason I ask is because, I am having issues with either having reactions or the bacteria being resistant.
    For example, I cannot take macrobid, or bactrim, or trimethoprim due to severe side effects. Cipro and amoxicllin my bacteria is resistant to now so that is out. I am now taking keflex, but do not think it is working to well. What other choices are out there. I am getting scared because I dont know what other drugs they can use.
    It seems all the drugs they mention they use for UTI,s which are macrobid,bactrim,amoxicillin, cipro, gentamicin, trimeth, I cannot take. Are there any other meds out there that work for UTI's?
    Jen

The best way to find out the most effective treatment for an infection is to have a culture and sensitivity test, then talk to your doctor about your allergies --- hopefully you and your doctor can find an effective one. I understand how tough it is to have medication allergies; I have them too.

Warm hugs,

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    Thanks Donna,
    Well, I am hanging in here and just waiting to see how things go. My doctor said that if I got any worse to go to the ER and that I would have to have IV antibitoics since there really is nothing else for me to take. This is very frustrating ang worrisome. Thanks for the support.
    Jen

Hi Jen, Sorry to hear about the ongoing UTI"S, I've got the same problem, resistance to certain antibiotics because of overuse. But I totally agree with Donna, you must have a sensitivity test done and a bacterial culture, that will tell your Dr. what antibiotics will work on the e-coli. I really hope that you can avoid the ER and IV antibiotics. I've been thru that, as well and was hospitalized with kidney infection because my UTI had become resistant to all the oral antibiotics and the residual from my bladder had backed up in to my kidneys. So wishing you the best of luck and please let me know how you're doing. Hang in there. Sending lots of hugs and prayers your way.

ICN Member
    Jen,

I am currently battling an ecoli uti and I'm on Levaquin. I didn't see that one listed on your post and (provided its not just another name for one in your post) you can talk to the doctor about that one.

Cipro and/or amoxicillin should help, if you aren't allergic or resistent....but then now we have all the worries of cipro's side effects. Ugh....

I agree that having a culture to test the sensitivity to different antibiotics is a good idea. That's what I did, and they found out that the amoxicillin would get rid of my infection, so I switched prescriptions.
    Holly
    1/19/2006 diagnosed with PBS/possible IC
    2/1/2006 Elmiron & Elavil 50mg
    3/2006 began PN symptoms
    7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
    09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
    10/20/2006 - lyrica for PN pain (didn't last)
    11/20/2006 - cymbalta for PN (didn't last)
    12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
    UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!
    UPDATE 2/16/2010 - completely pain free!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

Septra is another drug used for UTI's. It's a sulfa based drug I think. When I get Uti's I always have a culture done ,it's always e coli,but sometimes it's resistant to Septra,sometimes Septra is fine. Go figure. hope your Doc can help you. ((HUGS))

ICN Member
    I also had a severe side effect to trimethoprim. What side effects did you have? My doctor said that he even gives it to pregnant women and that it is a very benign antibiotic but I couldn't handle it. So I'm interested to hear of someone else who felt it wasn't for them! Makes me feel more "normal"!

The only side effect I've had is rashes, but now that they are talking about tendon ruptures, makes me wonder if my tendonitis could have been caused by cipro.
    Holly
    1/19/2006 diagnosed with PBS/possible IC
    2/1/2006 Elmiron & Elavil 50mg
    3/2006 began PN symptoms
    7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
    09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
    10/20/2006 - lyrica for PN pain (didn't last)
    11/20/2006 - cymbalta for PN (didn't last)
    12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
    UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!
    UPDATE 2/16/2010 - completely pain free!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

ICN Member
    This UTI I have right now is resistant to cipro,levaquin, amoxicillin, and gentamicin. I also cannot take macrobid, or bactrim(sulfa drugs), as I had severe side effects. I am on keflex now. Not sure how well it is working though. This is pretty scary to me though as I have no clue how they are going to treat my UTI's in the future since I cannot take anything.
    Jen

I got mine from my local combination grocery, clothing, pharmacy, store. It's a Northwest chain store (Fred Meyer).

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    Thanks Donna.
    I am going to do a search and see if any of the stores around here carry that UTI kit.
    Jen

ICN Member

UTI Kit

The UTI Kit referred to, is that a kit that you can use at home to find out if you have a bladder infection? How does it work? I am in Canada and I am interested in finding a kit here, so I don't always have to run to the doctor. I am just at the tail end of my bladder infection. I was on Cipro, which made by stomach very upset and my IC a lot worse, but I kept on with the Cipro because I wanted to persevere to kill that bacteria. The name of the bacteria on my sensitivity test is called "klebsiella". I wonder if that is ecoli as well.

Uti

Jen,
    I hope you are finally past your infections. It can get to be depressing and frustrating. I feel for you.

For years I was on Bactrim and even then I would get infections while on it. Then after I went on Cranberry pills, no more UTIs. But with the IC diagnosis 6 years ago, I stopped taking the Cranberry pills and after the medicine was put into my bladder I was o.k. for awhile. Once in awhile I would have one, but when one infection started, the Urologist sent me right to a Infectious Disease dr. and he sent me to have a PICC line put in. So it was a trip to the hospital for antibiotics to be put in every day for a number of weeks.

There are still infections and I was just diagnosed with the third in the last few months, but I still try everything to not get the infections, yet there they are. Sometimes I wonder how we can get so many infections. It is difficult to tell whether it is a flare of IC or an infection.

May God be with you and grant you healing.
    Frieda

ICN Member
    Hi Frieda. Thanks for your reply to my post. I truly feel for you. I believe my bladder infection has now cleared up, but somehow the bladder infection made my IC a lot worse. It seems my progress for the last 2 years has disappeared. All that work to try to improve. I can't believe all that you are going through. You're a trooper. I wish no more UTIs for all of us. It's just awful. Like you say, you guess at yourself, is it a UTI or is it IC? By the time you think about it, the bacteria has gotten worse. It's bad enough for a normal person to get UTIs, without IC, but coupled that up with IC, it's just horrible. I never want a catheter near me. Each time one goes in me, it is guaranteed that I get a bladder infection. I used to use Bactrim for my UTIs, but I had to go stronger antibiotic, into Cipro. I suffered with the Cipro in hopes of killing my UTI, even though Cipro made my IC hurt worse. I just knew I had to bear it more in order to kill this bacteria.

Frieda, keep strong and god heal you as well. All the best, Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information