myofascial release

hey... i'm starting "myofascial release" therapy next week, and i was wondering if anyone else could share their experiences? i don't really know what to expect so really anything would help. also, my doctor thinks it would be good if my boyfriend came to learn... any opinions? it kind of makes me want to laugh at the strangeness of the whole situation, but my boyfriend is all for it and really wants to be involved and understand and help out (which i guess is good...). i just don't know if it could be too weird and maybe i should have him wait until the second or third trips? we've been together over a year and i fully expect to be with him for the long run, so it's not anything doubtful like that. i just don't want to put him in a weird situation where he's going to look at me all clinically from now on. i don't even know if i'm making sense. thoughts??
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night"

21 year old Boston College student
    Communications major
    Women's Studies minor

Diagnosed IC and PFD December 2007
    Also have: Lyme Disease, Hypoglycemia, recurring Ovarian Cysts, and high cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by samanthalacey View Post
    hey... i'm starting "myofascial release" therapy next week, and i was wondering if anyone else could share their experiences? i don't really know what to expect so really anything would help. also, my doctor thinks it would be good if my boyfriend came to learn... any opinions? it kind of makes me want to laugh at the strangeness of the whole situation, but my boyfriend is all for it and really wants to be involved and understand and help out (which i guess is good...). i just don't know if it could be too weird and maybe i should have him wait until the second or third trips? we've been together over a year and i fully expect to be with him for the long run, so it's not anything doubtful like that. i just don't want to put him in a weird situation where he's going to look at me all clinically from now on. i don't even know if i'm making sense. thoughts??
    Its not weird at all!! The only weird part you might not want him in the room for (and it might not bother you) is when they do the biofeedback!! If you have ever had an ekg or seen one done, it's like that!! They put these things like an ekg but on your pelvic area, external vagnia and rectum. all external. Then you hold and release! etc.
    Back to the Myofasical Release they only go internal as a last resort. It is all external. They barely and I mean barely rub in circular motion and very lightly feel until they feel hard tissue and then they rub gently in circular motion. You honestly think,"this can't be working" but it helps!! Ive haven't been able to go the past month bc I have been in so much pain, I don't even think her gently rubbing would be good at this point!!
    But, as i said all EXTERNAL nothing to weird where your boyfriend couldn't go. I think it would be great. Maybe she/he could show him how to do some of the gently rubbing at home!!! Put the Boy to WORK!!!!!:woohoo:

I think that is quite thoughtful of your boyfriend to want to go with you. My husband of almost 18 years wouldn't have asked. He tells me I look good. duh,

I am glad someone explained about the masio..massage. Sorry, forgot how to spell. That is what the doctor ordered for me. I felt nervous about internal pokies.
    bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

ICN Member

therapy really helping

I have had four sessions of PFD therapy with an excellent therapist. She does internal as well as external work. I really felt the sensitive trigger points when she massaged internally, and though I don't like it, I must say it's been extremely successful. I felt a difference after three sessions, and a huge reduction in pain after the fourth. I had terrible pain after sex, lasting several days. I also feel I void in greater amounts and less often, without pain afterwards. I don't think I would want anyone in the room with me, though - I think this is something best left to a professional. Painkillers alone, and even elmiron is not a solution if the underlying pelvic floor problem is not addressed. I'm so happy I'm doing this.

Well, I faxed the pelvic floor therapy request to my primary care doctor to see if my insurance covers it. I am hoping the pelvic floor therapy brings some relief to my chronic burning.
    bunnykinb

6/04 dx Mild IC; 3/06 2nd hydro/cysto w/2nd uro; Moderate IC now. IBS dx 11/03. 6/08 dx Vulva Vestibulitis/Pelvic Floor Spasms

tried & failed treatments: Urocit K 2x/day, Prelief & Atarax 25 mg 3/05-6/06; elavil 10mg 11/30/06-2/28/07 (stopped due to hunger); elmiron orally but had throat tightness;heparin instills 1x/mo 9/04-2/05;elmiron instills every 2 wks 7/05-2/06;20 DMSO 7/28/06-9/07.nortriptyline 10mg 4/07-10/07current meds/treatments:Tofrinal 25mg;Yasmin bc. Heparin instills every 2 weeks 2/08-present. Mix: 8cc lidocaine, 8cc heparin (40,000 units), & 3cc sodium bicarb. main symptoms: frequency & labia/clitorial burning

I have heard from many that things are way better if a loved one does it for you. I know I got better results when done to me than trying to do so to myself...too preocupied to be good at doing it and feel....it so helps to have someone helping you. I would expect that there will be feeling around for tender or tight spots....a constant pressure of your comfortable choice is put on this area...and from this pressure your muscles start to release. It can be ammazing and even scary the difference it makes.

My husband was there and learned but never did it outside of the office which I would have liked. Regardless I have heard many people feel that their partner better understood what they were going through from doing this since they physically can feel the tightness and it is like extra proof of what is going on.

Either way the right time for this is totally up to you. Do what you are comfortable with! This is a new therapy for you so your learning now too....learning together can be nice but if your more comfortable with being comfortable with the therapy first I totally get that too! I so hope you get great results!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

thanks so much for all the replies! i'm really excited to start the therapy... i've had the pelvic pain for so long and none of the ic drugs have helped with it. i'm kind of upset because it was originally scheduled for next week and my boyfriend cleared his schedule to come with me, but now they've canceled it and can't reschedule for a few weeks . i just hope they can get started before i have to go back to school. ughhh i'm relieved to finally be doing this but aggravated that it's taking so long!!!
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night"

21 year old Boston College student
    Communications major
    Women's Studies minor

Diagnosed IC and PFD December 2007
    Also have: Lyme Disease, Hypoglycemia, recurring Ovarian Cysts, and high cholesterol.

ICN Member
    That's really nice and supportive that he wants to come with you. The only reason that I would suggest waiting is because the first few times that I had PT, I was screaming really loudly during the session because it was so painful - I had trigger point release and myofascial therapy. I never brought family members to those early sessions because I didn't want to scare them. It can be kind of rough the first few times until they can work out the kinks and your body get used to it. You may also want to ask your PT if it's okay to bring your boyfriend for this purpose - as a licensed therapist, they may not feel comfortable teaching a non-therapist their techniques because it could open them up to liability - if he does it wrong, you might try to sue the PT, claiming they didn't teach the technique properly. So I could see why a PT would deny your request.

Thread Information