Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baking soda??

baking soda??

i read a tip that drinking baking soda dissolved in water can really help reduce the acidity of food and allow a person with ic to expand their diet. has anyone tried this? does it work? i tried it once but the taste was so horrible that i couldn't finish the glass haha. if it works, though, it would be worth it to put the baking soda in gelatin capsules and swallow it or something. any thoughts? and yes, i've tried prelief and it works pretty well. i'm just wondering about other options. thanks!
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night"

21 year old Boston College student
    Communications major
    Women's Studies minor

Diagnosed IC and PFD December 2007
    Also have: Lyme Disease, Hypoglycemia, recurring Ovarian Cysts, and high cholesterol.

ICN Member
    I've only used the baking soda and water remedy when my bladder is flaring. I've never thought of using it like Prelief.
    Cathy

My sweet little doglet!

I'm not too sure this would be appropriate for long term or everyday use since baking soda is so high in sodium.
    I believe the people who you've read about using it only use it when in a bad flare, or feel a flare coming on.
    If you have any health issues that require you to avoid sodium/salt intake, this would not be appropriate for you.

Wishing you well....
    Diana

No longer active

Too much baking soda - diarrhea

Hi,

Because of the body's inherent need to keep our blood at a certain range in terms of pH, too much baking soda can cause diarrhea. I've experienced it personally in the beginning of IC before Prelief.

If you put it in very cold water with ice chips, it's much more tolerable. And, it does relieve burning sometimes very well.

If you read the baking soda box, it even gives the dose for use as a laxative.

Hope that helps.

ICN Member

baking soda

If you google baking soda and uti's you'll get a lot of helpful info on the correlation between the two. For me, baking soda is a lifesaver during a flare. But I have no problems with high blood pressure or any other salt restrictive issues.

ICN Member
    I use baking soda when ever I have a flare,and it helps me big time .

It really isn't a good idea to routinely take baking soda (Ask your doctor). I can't take it at all; it has too much sodium and I have controlled high blood pressure. For me Tums are safer. And I don't have a problem with Prelief.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Baking soda doesn't allow you to expand your diet any more than using something like tums. Sometimes I will use both tums and and baking soda at the same time when I've had some pasta with spaghetti sauce.

I use the baking soda occasionally, not everyday. Also baking soda needs to be diluted, not taken in capsule form, and shouldn't be used if you have over ate, as the baking soda will interact with the acid and cause more expansion in the stomach.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."
    Mary Anne Radmacher

ICN Member

baking soda & yeast infections

Just another thought to add -- sometimes when I take a baking soda bath, I wind up with a yeast infection because it can alter the body's pH that much. So I think it's more powerful than it appears! Just be careful about using it.

ICN Member
    what kind of tums do you buy? are they ok to eat? i though i saw citric acid in them

thanks
    susan

ICN Member
    I do this only if I Am in a flare or feel one coming on.Is not good to do this alot because you need your natural stomach acids to digest your food and the baking doda will mess with them!!

Take Care of You!!

Dd

ICN Member
    I have heard that alka seltzer works good too!!

What kind of tums Peppermint??

DD

I buy the peppermint Tums.

I also use baking soda during a flare, but only 1/2 teaspoon to a glass. I drain the first glass all at once, then mix up another which I sip slowly. YUCK! -But it seems to work! A full teaspoon of it makes me gag!

Vicki

ICN Member

club soda

club soda works well for me to reduce burning. Just thought I'd pass it along

ICN Member

Club Soda

What about the carbonation it doesnt bother you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information