Latest Blog Article: Vaginal Mesh Sling Complications and IC?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hydroxyzine hcl & wght gain

is this drug linked to wght gain? or does it make you feel hungry??? i eat all the time. any suggestions?
    Coopsmom

"Through God All Things Are Possible"

Topamax for Migraines 50
    Elavil 12.5 mg
    Lidocaine 2% 10 cc
    Sodium Bicarb 8.4% 5 cc
    Heprain 20,000 Units
    Hydroxyzine 25 mgs
    Valium Sup. 10 mgs.
    Phenegran 25 mgs.
    Amerge 2.5 mgs.
    Lidocaine Gel 2%

for me I am on atarax, elavil and neurontin. I gained 25lbs on elavil and 11 lbs on neurontin. My friend is a NP and she went to a lecture last week by Dr. Parsons. SHe told me he doesn't care for neurontin and there is huge weight gain in neurontin. For me I would say elavil and neurontin both

The receptionist at my family md just got diagonosed with IC. She told me she in on elavil also but she said she could not take atarax because she gained so much weight on it. First time I had heard that so now you as well. See different drugs affect everyone differently that is for sure. Vicky

Well for me, it started an eating binge that led to 60+ pounds of weight gain. I was on it for 2 years and couldn't figure out why I was starved and craved sweets so much. My IC started to get more under control so I stopped the hydroxyzine about a month ago and the compulsvie overeating has somewhat diminished. I'm sure a lot of people can stay on it and not eat like a horse but I was not one of them. Now I have a huge amount of weight to try to get off and it is very discouraging. Good luck with the medicine. If you see your weight is going totally out of control see if they can find something else for you. No use having another terrible problem to contend with (I now have high cholesterol and borderline high blood pressure)
    hugs,
    Janie

Wow! I took the Vistaril version of hydroxyzine and have not had any weight troubles with it at all - lol, my weight troubles are all my own fault I wonder if there's some difference in the formulations of it???
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

traceann,
    I doubt if there is any difference in the formulation . . . it is probably just how drugs affect people in different ways. Some people will get a side effect that won't bother others.
    hugs,
    Janie

ICN Member
    No, but I bet it's making you kind of sleepy so you're not moving as much in general. Not necessarily exercise, but movement. I know it can slow me down esp in the mornings. Now cytotec really made me eat, eat, eat and I know some people say this about amytriptaline too.

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coopsmom View Post
    is this drug linked to wght gain? or does it make you feel hungry??? i eat all the time. any suggestions?
    Many antihistamines are linked to weight gain. If you read up on one like Benadryl, people have tremendous trouble with it if they take it regularly. It is thought that the histamine brain pathway affects appetite and metabolism. Docs don't quite understand how it all works, but hormones, histamines, etc. are intimately connected in the brain.

As far as eating all the time, I do exercise extreme caution. I don't keep anything in the house that I could just eat mindlessly.

ICN Member
    I've taken it for 10 years and hadn't gained any weight with it. Nor did it make me hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Janie Miranda View Post
    traceann,
    I doubt if there is any difference in the formulation . . . it is probably just how drugs affect people in different ways. Some people will get a side effect that won't bother others.
    Ah how right you are Janie!!! I know there's a difference in formulations between the Atarax version and the Vistaril version of hydroxyzine, but probably not enough to cause one to go one way and the other to go another, lol. So yep, it's got to boil back down to how we all react differently to meds!!! Geesh that can make things difficult can't it?
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

and very frustrating.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

hmm...i am not sure, i am now wondering the same thing myself...i thought it was the lyrica, but it could be the Hydroxyzine...i started them w/ in a few weeks of each other and i gained weight and feel hungry all the time too... the lyrica says its a common side effect though...
    Jenn

IC, endometriosis, vulvodynia, PFD, kidney stones, migraines, chronic uti's, ovarian cysts, seizures.

Meds:
    Elmiron 300mg a day
    a day)
    Singulair 10mg a day
    Seasonale

Prevacid OTC
    Xanax-helps pain at times.

too many pills for my age!!!

"If it wasn't this it would be something else"

"There's a happiness to be gained from being able to accept that there are some things that cannot be changed."

OH you just started Lyrica? I would say Lyrica is the weight gain more then the atarax. lyrica can cause you to swell and retain water. Neurontin does the same thing water retention = wt gain. Since they are in the same class of drugs I would bet the lyrica is where your wt. gain is coming from =water retention. Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by Janie Miranda View Post
    Well for me, it started an eating binge that led to 60+ pounds of weight gain. I was on it for 2 years and couldn't figure out why I was starved and craved sweets so much. My IC started to get more under control so I stopped the hydroxyzine about a month ago and the compulsvie overeating has somewhat diminished. I'm sure a lot of people can stay on it and not eat like a horse but I was not one of them. Now I have a huge amount of weight to try to get off and it is very discouraging. Good luck with the medicine. If you see your weight is going totally out of control see if they can find something else for you. No use having another terrible problem to contend with (I now have high cholesterol and borderline high blood pressure)
    I recently asked my uro if I could quit the elavil. I gained 30lbs on it. So, I know how Janie feels. I quit elavil a month ago. I also now have high blood pressure. I should take my blood pressure being off elavil a month now as I swore that elavil put my bp over the brink on that borderline wall. Vicky

ICN Member
    i want to ask if there is any relation between ic & weight gain, i mean i have gained weight since i was diagnosed more than i gained during pregenancy, though i take Elmiron, pain killers?

ICN Member

weight gain

Since starting hydroxyzine about a year ago, I have gained 11 pounds. For most of my adult life, I have been a size 4 and now 6 is snug. I walk two miles five days a week and lift light weights. Hydroxyzine is placed in the Equine Smart Pak to make horses gain weight. Undoubtedly, it makes we humans also gain weight.

Melina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information