Latest Blog Article: Interstitial cystitis is more of an injury to the bladder

Abilify by itself?

Like many of you, I cannot find an antidepressant I can tolerate. My doc has me starting Abilify this weekend. Abilify is a bipolar disorder drug, and is now being used in 2 mg. doses to support an antidepressant for people with Moderate Depressive Disorder. I have Fibro, which about amounts to the same chemical brain imbalance.

The thing is, she wants me to take the 2 mg. Abilify by itself, since we can't find an antidepressant that doesn't set my bladder on fire, which I am certainly willing to try. I was just wondering if anyone else is taking the Abilify by itself for depression, whether it helps them, and if their bladder tolerates it. Wouldn't it be great to find something that worked for more of us?

HUGS,
    July Wolfe

DIAGNOSES: (All in 1990 or before)
    All the "Fibro Five": Fibromyalgia, IC
    (but IBS, Endometriosis and CFS now all dormant).
    MEDS:
    Been on 100 mg. x3 Elmiron off and on for 17 years
    Tramadol (pain) 50 mg. every 6 hours
    Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) 800 mg. x2 daily
    Imipramine (generic for Tofranil) 50 mg.
    Tapering off Ambien
    Back on Estrace after 3 years off (thank God!)
    Am very faithful to Prelief

i can't tolerate any of the anti depressants especially ssri my bladder goes into major retention. Just elavil and I just quit that as I gaine too much weight.

I had one pscy md try me on abilify it is a mood stabilizer- yes used also very depression not soley bi polar. I don't remember my dose starting off maybe 10mg. I am VERY sensitive to meds. I know never try anything without having the day off the next day. Take it on a Friday night . Well I did not and I could not get out of bed the next day and had to call fmla. I took one dose and never took it again. Hope it works for you. I just could not get past the side effects of the drug possible ones. We all tolerate drugs different. I tried lamictal a mood stabilizer first dru anyone gave me that I felt in 2 years was working............ boom I get the adverse most serious side effect the rash which can be fatal and the blister in my mouth. Trial and error with these drugs. So I have suffered from major depression after losing my job and career to ic and 1 year later still I am not on anti depressants. I do have a new pscy md trying. He mentioned possibly topomax. Vicky Good Luck.
    He would have tried abilify next but I told him I would not take it.

Gosh, Vicky, I hope you find something that works for you. I know how miserable it is, and I know it's worse for you than it is for me. Thanks for your input. Now I know not to take it until Friday night because I have to get up during the week.

I'll keep posting here about how I'm doing on it once I start. I'm pretty sensitive too, and usually start things at half strength. Fortunately, this is just 2 mg., so maybe I'll be okay. I'm just wishing really hard that this turns out to be an answer for lots of us.

HUGS,
    July Wolfe

MEDS:
    Tapering off Ambien

my pscy md says a lot of pt's on abilify for depression. I know the young girl who checks out ahead of me in the med clinic for psy she has free samples of abilify with her. I was scared to try lamictal same thing mood stabilizer but used not only for bipolar but for depression as well. My NP friend also prescribes it alot. It was doing good I had cut the dose in half. day 8 I got the serious can be fatal rash and the blister in my mouth. Too bad I felt not only was it helping my depression but my bladder pain. Vicky

All I know is that I was once prescribed Abilify and became a zombie. I think I was started on a higher dose as well, but I don't believe it helped my IC. It really could work for you, and as suggested above, please don't try it until you have a couple days off, like the weekend, or its equivalent. I really do hope it helps and if not, I wish you a swift discovery of something much better. Warmest regards
    Love is a fruit in season at all times, within reach of every hand. ~ The Blessed Mother Teresa

Status: Diagnosed October 2006 via cystoscopy with hydrodistention. Max anesthetized bladder capacity only 250 cc's. Mast cells and pinpoint bleeding found.

Remission for me means less pain for more days than not. Frequency is inevitable with a bladder this tiny! That is ok though. The difference between when I was diagnosed and now, is that I have embraced that fact. Me and the loo, we are one.

My doc too says she uses it a lot for depression, but those people are all taking an antidepressant TOO, so we're not sure the Abilify is going to work on it's own.

I hadn't thought, really, about Abilify doing anything for the IC, but maybe it will. I just need help with the depression. I found a thread under the "remission" section about people having good IC results with dextroamphetamine sulfate. I'm going to ask my doc about that, because they also use it for Fibro. Maybe we could kill 6 symptoms with 1 drug here!

HUGS,
    July Wolfe

MEDS:
    Tapering off Ambien

Okay, sorry it has taken me so long to report about the Abilify. I started it Friday (today is Wednesday) but was flaring badly. I went in for a DMSO treatment Monday.

So far, I think the Abilify might be helping with mood, which is what I need it for. I usually slip into that familiar "black hole" while not taking an antidepressant, and I don't feel anywhere near that right now. I was irritable going off the Wellbutrin, but feel much better now. Hey, Abilify might be the answer.

It isn't making it difficult for me to get up in the morning, but again, I'm only taking 2 mg. I wake a lot during the night, and though I take Ambien, it's often difficult to go back to sleep. The Abilify seems to be helping with that too, though it might not once I get more used to it.

I hope this proves helpful for others out there who have trouble with antidepressants. I'll let you know if Abilify continues to help.

HUGS,
    July Wolfe

MEDS:
    Tapering off Ambien

Update: I can't say the Abilify has helped "a lot" with the depression, but at least I'm not waking up every morning wishing I hadn't. That's enough improvement for me. For those of you who can't tolerate antidepressants, I would recommend you talk to your doc about trying the Abilify alone.

I will say that combined with Ambien, I sleep really hard and wake groggy if I don't stay asleep for at least 6 hours. Please check for contraindications with any drugs you are currently taking. I'm overly cautious about mixing drugs, and sometimes docs aren't paying attention.

I'd still like to find an antidepressant (or something else) that would give me back my motivation, plus help with the terrible brain fog of Fibromyalgia. Gosh, I miss being able to finish sentences and remember what I entered a room for! Grocery shopping is a nightmare, LOL.

HUGS,
    July Wolfe

MEDS:
    Tapering off Ambien

Thread Information