Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

Kidney pain caused by ovarian cyst ??

I have a question for anyone .. I have a few ovarian complex cysts . When I was at my urio the other day I gtold him Ive been having flank pain , exactly where my kidney is and he did a urine test and said there wasnt anything there then he told me thats my kidney pain is coming from one of my ruptured cysts and that the fluid can somehow travel or bother my kidneys?? Have anyone ever heard of this before ? I never have and was wondering if IC can irritate your kidneys as well ?? Oh PS I have a history of kidney stones and i have one in my kidney but its very small and not traveling yet ... and my doc told me that it shouldnt cause me discomfort ?? HAs anyone have any ideas on this ??

Lauren

Gosh I don't know what to tell you, except maybe a second opinion. maybe do google search, or check web md.

ICN Member
    Did he do a Ct scan or an IVP to look at your kidneys? I have had MANY MANY kidney stones, and you do not forget what that awful pain feels like. I have had what my uro calls a "small stone" that has had me on my knees in pain. One time they put me in the hospital to remove a stone.They couldn't do it for a few days. The day of surgery I had a CT scan and the uro told me he didn't see the stone, did I still want to have the procedure? HECK YES, I had been straining ALL my urine, and that stone had not came out. Sure enough, after surgery the tell me it must have been kind of "HIDDEN" and they didnt see it in the CT scan. I still have "smallstones" and when I drink alot of liquid I still get flank pain. And then I wonder will this be the day from hell trying to get it out?

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_beautiful View Post
    Gosh I don't know what to tell you, except maybe a second opinion. maybe do google search, or check web md.
    I do want to get a second opinion from a Uriologist in general because the one I have told me that my severe pelvic pain would not be caused by my IC .. and I think it is because there is no other reason for my crazy pain . I will look on the web to see anything about the 2 together , thank you for the suggestion !!!

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by barbclay View Post
    Did he do a Ct scan or an IVP to look at your kidneys? I have had MANY MANY kidney stones, and you do not forget what that awful pain feels like. I have had what my uro calls a "small stone" that has had me on my knees in pain. One time they put me in the hospital to remove a stone.They couldn't do it for a few days. The day of surgery I had a CT scan and the uro told me he didn't see the stone, did I still want to have the procedure? HECK YES, I had been straining ALL my urine, and that stone had not came out. Sure enough, after surgery the tell me it must have been kind of "HIDDEN" and they didnt see it in the CT scan. I still have "smallstones" and when I drink alot of liquid I still get flank pain. And then I wonder will this be the day from hell trying to get it out?
    Oh I know what that pain that pain feels like there have been stones that made me want to jump in front of a truck cause of the pain !!!! And I had a ct scan at the ER about 3 weeks before that so thats the scan he went by so I dont know if it got bigger or maybe there more now ? IT isnt quite excuriatating yet but it is really bothersome and making me nauseous ... Ive also had kdney stones removed surgically yrs ago because I couldnt pass them , but I think this doctor is just really non chalant about most things ...

Lauren

ICN Member
    Oh I LOVE the answer "it SHOULDN'T cause you discomfort"...that doesn't mean it doesn't, or it won't! That certainly IMO could be the cause.

(Totally unrelated, but about docs and statements like that...I was discharging a patient who had surgery that day, and she did not have a prescription for pain pills to go home with. I called the surgeon so he could call one in, told him there wasn't a script on the chart and he said, "well, there should be one there." I thought, well yes, there SHOULD be one...but there isn't! D'oh)

I hope you're feeling better soon, honey. I'm not sure if your pain is from the cyst of the stone, but I just hope it goes away!!
    32 years old

former Med/Surg RN

endometriosis x 13 years (with attempted/ failed complete removal in June 2008), IC diagnosed with cysto/hydrodistention April 2007, second cysto/hydro in June 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy1218 View Post
    Oh I LOVE the answer "it SHOULDN'T cause you discomfort"...that doesn't mean it doesn't, or it won't! That certainly IMO could be the cause.

(Totally unrelated, but about docs and statements like that...I was discharging a patient who had surgery that day, and she did not have a prescription for pain pills to go home with. I called the surgeon so he could call one in, told him there wasn't a script on the chart and he said, "well, there should be one there." I thought, well yes, there SHOULD be one...but there isn't! D'oh)

I hope you're feeling better soon, honey. I'm not sure if your pain is from the cyst of the stone, but I just hope it goes away!!
    LOL I felt like saying to the doctor " oh ok so because YOU SAY it shouldnt, I feel all better now thanks !!! " but Im not that much of an outward smartass to someone who has the potential to help me even if his ans is ditzy !!!

well now my urine is severly cloudy ,I still have flank pain , and a bunch of tissue debri in it , and I think I was running a fever last night but my kids stashed the thermometer somewhere again so I couldnt find out . So yeah I think its time to call him back and politley re-explain that I feel like crap still . I swear I wonder where some doc get their md ? cracker jack boxes ??? and I see your a nurse !! Kudos to you , I know thats not an easy job by any means ! Im very fond of nurses because they are truly the patients advocates Im sure you have had your fill of frustrating doctors in both employment and your personal life !!! ( Im an EMT and I love how while no I dont have a huge extensive knowledge in the medical field , I have some , considering I have had to put together patient assessments , past history etc etc in the field prior to even getting to the hospital and when Im the patient they look at me like I have 3 heads when I give them my own assessment but take me on my word for patients I have brought in !! So now I just play dumb it seems to go over easier that way ! I was a volunteer at a local fire co but because of my health I resigned .) Thanks for the well wishes !!! I hope you are well too

Lauren

ICN Member
    Sounds like you have something going on with that kidney??

How are you feeling today? (I know it's been a couple days now since you posted this)

I had a UTI a couple of years ago; I ignored the symptoms (they were sort of like my endo symptoms and I also had my period, so I figured I would wait and see if they went away...). BAD IDEA. I ended up developing an abcess on my kidney. I worked a full night shift with just some back pain, went home, took some pain pills, and laid down. Woke up an hour later with chills, horrible pain, and a temp of 100, which I watched climb to 103 over the next hour. I was sick for 2 weeks! Point being...I would definitely get your doc's office back on the horn and let them know what else is going on, or head to the ER or a walk in, especially if you have a fever...a regular UTI I don't think will usually cause a fever, and if you have a pyelonephritis, you'll want to start on an antibiotic ASAP!

I hope you're feeling better soon!!!

Thanks for your thoughts on nurses...I definitely try to advocate for my patients! I had a good talk with a gal who last night who came in for pain control who has IC (I don't see many of them!). She was frustrated and didn't know what to do. I don't usually share my personal experiences with patients, but I did in this case, it helps to know sometimes when you're not alone, I think. I just wanted her to know that someone DID understand what she was going though. I have a TON of respect for EMT's, when you first meet your patients you have no idea what's going on with them, and things have the potential to go bad quickly...you don't know if that chest pain is indigestion or a massive MI! You're going in totally blind, and that is SO hard to do. What a remarkable job.
    32 years old

former Med/Surg RN

endometriosis x 13 years (with attempted/ failed complete removal in June 2008), IC diagnosed with cysto/hydrodistention April 2007, second cysto/hydro in June 2008

crkshnks79...Have you been tested for a UTI or a Kidney Infection? If not, please don't wait to have this done. Also, please post as to how you are doing. (((Hugs)))
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonA View Post
    crkshnks79...Have you been tested for a UTI or a Kidney Infection? If not, please don't wait to have this done. Also, please post as to how you are doing. (((Hugs)))
    I have and nothing is there , no sign of infection . But I have had many , many cyst that have burst over the years and NONE of them ever caused me kidney discomfort but my uro refuses to believe that anything is wrong .... Im not doing well at all right now , Im waiting for my fiancee to get home from work so I can go to the ER ( yet again !) because Im in so much pain I cant handle it ( I think another one of my cysts are bursting or leaking ) the pain is all down my left lower front abdomen into my labia and internal vagina , into my groin and upper thigh . [I] cant get off the couch . I would love to take a hot bath but Im afraid I wont beable to get out of the tub once I get in !! Thank you for the reply and advice , I will keep you updated . Hope you are feeling well . ~ Lauren

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy1218 View Post
    Sounds like you have something going on with that kidney??

How are you feeling today? (I know it's been a couple days now since you posted this)

I had a UTI a couple of years ago; I ignored the symptoms (they were sort of like my endo symptoms and I also had my period, so I figured I would wait and see if they went away...). BAD IDEA. I ended up developing an abcess on my kidney. I worked a full night shift with just some back pain, went home, took some pain pills, and laid down. Woke up an hour later with chills, horrible pain, and a temp of 100, which I watched climb to 103 over the next hour. I was sick for 2 weeks! Point being...I would definitely get your doc's office back on the horn and let them know what else is going on, or head to the ER or a walk in, especially if you have a fever...a regular UTI I don't think will usually cause a fever, and if you have a pyelonephritis, you'll want to start on an antibiotic ASAP!

I hope you're feeling better soon!!!

Thanks for your thoughts on nurses...I definitely try to advocate for my patients! I had a good talk with a gal who last night who came in for pain control who has IC (I don't see many of them!). She was frustrated and didn't know what to do. I don't usually share my personal experiences with patients, but I did in this case, it helps to know sometimes when you're not alone, I think. I just wanted her to know that someone DID understand what she was going though. I have a TON of respect for EMT's, when you first meet your patients you have no idea what's going on with them, and things have the potential to go bad quickly...you don't know if that chest pain is indigestion or a massive MI! You're going in totally blind, and that is SO hard to do. What a remarkable job.
    Hey Breezy ,
    Its not a UTI or a kidney infection I cleared all those tests . My Uro said it was probably from one of my cysts leaking and the fluid could be irritating my kidney and just about everything else , and honestly I thought that was bull but now Im not so sure ? I had a bog ovarian cyst rupture on me last night and had a lot of free fluid in my back and pelvis . And now my Kidney hurts again !!!(come to think of it everything hurts from my kidneys down ... like alot of pressure and aching ) They gave me 12 vicodin from the ER and Im taking motrin 800 as much as my stomach can tolerate . They told me to saty home from work til mon ... which is good because Im a full time hairdresser and standing all day would have KILLED me !!! ( ps they loaded me up w deludid and holy sh%* !!! I feel asleep standing up in the hallway trying to get to the bathroom !! But I had such sharp pains ( like a lightning storm ) going all over my pelvic region and actually into my vagina and labia , so I knew it had to be a cyst cause my IC doesnt usually cause that .

I can understand talking to that patient about yourself . I do think it helps to know that your not alone ... until I found this site I thought I was losing my mind ! Now I know better !!. As for EMT's thanks ! I used to volunteer but I cant do it anymore w my health and I miss it . But that was one of the things that scared the crap out of me , not knowing what I would be walking into half the time !! Especially when a call went out as just " sick person " no details , so you have no idea of whats going on til your onscene . I actually wanted to be a nurse but I wanted to work in L&D , maybe some day when I have time to go back to school !!

Lauren

Thread Information