Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long does Elavil take to work?

I have been to my second uro now who I met for the first time a couple of days ago. She examined me and listened closely to my symptoms (no pain or burning just constant urge to pee) and she prescribed 25mg of Elavil to take for one month. She thinks I may have started out with a UTI but that my bladder got hypersensitive like a switch that was turned on and got stuck. So she thinks the Elavil will calm my bladder and the symptoms should go away and my bladder should get back to normal. I only have frequency and urgency...no noticeable difference in diet changes and no pain with intimacy. She's not ruling out IC yet but wants to try this first....any advice on whether or not this treatment is correct? Has anyone ever had this kind of symptoms and took Elavil? If so how long did it take to calm down?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I was started at 10mg and gradually went up to 50mg and then back down to 25mg. All of this over a couple of months. You might want to talk with the doctor about this. You may feel very foggy the next morning at 25mg.

Now, back to your question. I felt a difference in my pain level the next morning after the first 10mg.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I have been taking it now for two nights.....

and I dont feel tired but I dont really feel any difference which is why I'm a little depressed because I was hoping I guess like I did with all the other meds that this was it...and I would be cured the next day...I know it doesnt always work like that but god it's a let down when you dont notice any changes and then you go back to thinking your gonna be like this forever....she did say one month though so I'm gonna try and keep my spirits up....

Don't let this get you down. There are plenty of people who have said it took longer to feel the effects of Elavil. Give it the 30 days. Please notice that my doctor and I were playing around with the dosage for a couple of months until I settled down to 25mg.

I hope it works for you.
    Sharon

Link to the IC Diet:

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member

Wink hey there

Yeah you should give it time.....
    With a lot of meds it doesn't work right away...only painkillers are supposed to do that.....
    You could just take painkillers when you really need it and just let the elavil kick in.....
    but don't give up....its better to be on meds like elavil or others like it for a long term solution for the pain than be on painkillers too much....
    Not saying people still don't need painkillers i am just saying that it would be a better long term solution.....
    I am still hoping i can cut down my painkillers but i still need them still but at least i don't take them as much at the max. dosage.....
    well hope you are doing well
    take great care
    hugs n better body days
    I am a cat lover----wouldn't be here without em

been having a bad time so now trying meds to help the situation but its an uphill battle

One day we will all have relief from pain....i do believe that but it doesn't come fast enough....

Okay.....I feel better now....

I will wait the 30 days like my doc said...the bummer is that we are taking our first cruise April 5 and I'm so scared I wont be able to do anything....btw....I also have been reading alot that Elavil causes weight gain which scares the heck out of me since I just lost 15 pounds....has anyone taken Elavil and not gained weight????? Just wondering...

Oh and thank you so much for all your advice and encouragement...I have been coming here for advice and info since Jan. and still going thru the process of elimination before the dreaded words "cysto with hydro." I like that this uro is trying all options before this procedure as I am scared to death....I mean really scared to death of being put under.......

ICN Member

Cool hi there again

I don't think you should really worry about the weight gain if it indeed does start helping you.....
    Just walk more....and if you feel munchy then munch on healthy things rather than cakes and such.....
    Just see if it works first......
    I gained a bit but i have been having fattening things and my stomach doesn't work so well....but i had initially lost weight.....so i wouldn't worry about it....
    just my two cents....
    well hope it starts workin......and talk to your doc in a couple weeks if you feel you need to up the dose.....sometimes that happens too....since right now i am at 50 mgs.....i started on 10 and went up ten mgs every couple weeks....
    but of course i am on effexor too so it wasn't a big deal....
    anyway hope that helps....
    and don't worry about being put 'under' i have had that done quite a bit and haven't had any problems.......
    i hope you start getting relief
    take care
    hugs n better body days
    I am a cat lover----wouldn't be here without em

been having a bad time so now trying meds to help the situation but its an uphill battle

One day we will all have relief from pain....i do believe that but it doesn't come fast enough....

I have gained some "extra bulk" over the years of taking it, but I am slowly getting rid of it. It would be a good idea to begin watching the fat and calories now. If you are careful and don't give in to some cravings, you will probably be alright and not gain. It's the "knowing" that really helps you not gain.
    Sharon

Link to the IC Diet:

elavil

I took 50 mg of elavil and it was 3 months before I noticed a difference. the side effects were not pleasant, morning tiredness, no energy but i kept at it. It put me in remission. I am now down to 5 mg with no side effects.

Thank you so much......

wow I feel so much more relieved now....you just get anxious hoping for an instant cure....and to think you are in remission.....that's so encouraging......

ICN Member
    MISHKKA17, my uro/gyn said the same thing to me --- he prescribed Elavil in a 10mg dose along with Urelle to "calm down the bladder." I have the same symptoms as yours except now I have urethral pain after I pee. But I felt this way two years ago without the urethral pain (just the frequency/urge). I'm in the same frustrated boat though - I haven't started the Elavil but I guess I'm going to.

So your symptoms got worse?

So you have had these symptoms (constant urge to urinate) for 2 years now? Did your docs ever give you anything during the two years or run any tests? Gosh I cant imagine going two years like this and I am scared it's gonna start burning. After everything I have heard from the responses here I know I need to wait the full month before I can say it doesnt work. But the Uro I have has already told me if this doesnt work we are going forward with other tests, she hasnt ruled out IC yet but wants to see my cystoscopy and CT results from the previous Uro (who thought I ate something two months ago and it ****** off my bladder.) She also wants an MRI done during the month wait. BTW, I've been reading that a pinched nerve or compressed spine in the cervix area of the neck could also cause urinary frequency/urgency.....has anyone ever experienced this?

ICN Member
    No, thankfully my symptoms went away after a couple months and I didn't have them til now. I didn't use any treatments then - they just sorta subsided. Which was good then, but annoying now since I didn't figure out what the problem was. I'm with you on the not wanting to wait though. This sucks!

East Central IL (near Champaign and Bloomington)
    I tried 10mg last year. I took it for a month and never got out of the fog. I went to the doc on Monday. He now has me on 5mg. I havent had the foggy feeling yet, and Im feeling better. Hope you feel better soon!
    Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

Okay it's now day 5........

and I still have this constant spasm/urge in the background.....it's driving me crazy......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information