Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available

Is this sharp, sudden pain in my right side normal for IC?

Hey guys. I have a question! I posted it in the IBS thread awhile ago, thinking I might be developing IBS (and I'm still not sure if I am or not), but some people said this pain was typical for IC'ers, so I thought I'd post it here too.

Since a little before Christmas I've been having some very strange pain. It's a little below my navel, three-four inches to the right; close to my hip/side but not ON my side. It's a very sudden, sharp stabbing pain that's occurs on and off, never for more than a few minutes. At first I only had it a few times a week, 2-3 times a day, but now I'm getting it every day. It's not so bad that I'm curled up on the floor crying, but sometimes it can take my breath away a little.

I went to see a general doctor and she didn't do a pelvic exam - she could tell I was terrified as I have vulvodynia, and minor swab tests for things like yeast infections are UNBELIEVABLY painful. She also said she thought it wasn't necessary since I wasn't sexually active. She pressed on my abdomen, stomach, and lower back, but she didn't feel anything unusual and I did NOT feel pain with the pressure. She also had a urine test done as well as some blood work, but everything came up negative. She told me it was probably nothing to worry about and sent me home.

I know constipation can cause this type of pain, and I have been constipated on and off for the past three weeks or so, but I figured it wasn't related since I've had this pain for months.

I'm wondering if this pain is typical for people with IC, even when they're NOT flaring. I've never had pain with IC before, but now I've developed this side pain, and I have had two short episodes (2 minutes tops) of sharp bladder pain in the past few weeks. Maybe my IC is getting worse?

Depending on people's tips here, I may demand some more tests be done, like an ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts or something. I don't want to make an appointment with my special IC doctor just yet since she works at a hospital and actually doesn't like me coming to see her that often. Which is pretty stupid, but...
    20-year-old college student from Wisconsin studying strategic communication, East Asia, and Mandarin.

Diseases
    Interstitial Cystitis (5 years)
    Vulvodynia/VVS (5 years)
    Possible mild IBS
    Anal fissure (1 year)

Symptoms
    Bladder pressure and spasms
    Frequency and urgency
    Burning with urination
    Vaginal itching, burning, and soreness
    Intense stinging upon penetration
    Anal itching
    Constipation/Diarrhea when nervous
    Sharp, stabbing pain in lower right side

Prescription Medication
    Amitriptyline
    Servira
    Estrace

I always have lower right quadrant pain. It gets worse throughout the day and if I am active at all. The doctors don't really have an answer for me but they blame it on all my issues listed below.
    Current diagnosis
    Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
    Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
    Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
    Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
    I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at mlzippy7@yahoo.com.
    One day at a time

ICN Member
    That sounds really painful. Sorry to hear that!

I didn't initially have pain either, but I also started having pain in the area you're describing a few months ago. I was worried my IC was getting worse, but I've been VERY strict with diet and taking supplements and now hydroxyzine, and I seem to be feeling better most days. I don't have the sharp pains but more aching pains.

Wow, your doctor actually tells you that she doesn't want to see you too often. That's not very encouraging or supportive, even it it's true!
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by karen10 View Post
    I was worried my IC was getting worse, but I've been VERY strict with diet and taking supplements and now hydroxyzine, and I seem to be feeling better most days. I don't have the sharp pains but more aching pains.
    May I ask what hydroxyzine is?
    20-year-old college student from Wisconsin studying strategic communication, East Asia, and Mandarin.

Diseases
    Vulvodynia/VVS (5 years)
    Possible mild IBS
    Anal fissure (1 year)

Symptoms
    Frequency and urgency
    Burning with urination
    Anal itching

Prescription Medication
    Amitriptyline
    Servira
    Estrace

IC & Hydroxyzine

Drug Information
    Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine and mild anti-anxiety drug. It affects mast cell degranulation, which is thought to play a part in some interstitial cystitis (IC) patients’ symptoms, especially those who have a history of allergies, migraines and irritable bowel syndrome. Hydroxyzine has been shown to improve these conditions, as well as IC.

Hydroxyzine has been found to:

decrease nocturia (night time voiding)
    decrease daytime frequency
    decrease pain (burning, pressure, painful intercourse)
    Hydroxyzine is available in the following two oral forms:

Generic name: hydroxyzine pamoate
    Brand name: Vistaril®
    Generic name: hydroxyzine hydrochloride
    Brand name: Atarax®
    Hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) has a slightly higher absorption rate. Hydroxyzine-HCL is a liquid form available for patients allergic to fillers or dyes used in the capsules or pills.

Dosage
    Most patients start with a 10 to 25 mg dosage of Atarax, Vistaril or their generic equivalent at bedtime every night for 1 week, and progress to 50 mg every night the second week. Ideally, within one month the dosage is increased to 75 mg, 50 mg taken at night and 25 mg taken during the day. Benefits of hydroxyzine may be seen within a few weeks to two months after initiating therapy. To decrease the sedating side effects, some patients start hydroxyzine therapy at a 10 mg dosage, available with Atarax or in the liquid form, and work their way up, gradually, to a maximum dosage of 50 - 75 mg After one year some patients are able to decrease their dosage by one-half without increasing symptoms. Others report that upon reducing their dosage, symptoms will return within a few days.
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

right quadrant pain

Hi:

I had this for several months and didn't relay it till it became unbearable. Uro ran a kidney scan nothing. I have severe retention. I think that might be part of this issue. He ruled it out to fibro issues, and wanted to order PT, if I wanted, I have done that route many times. I had it bad this weekend. but he gave me some flomax which considerably helps with the retentention (a huge bag of samples.).

Quote Originally Posted by calypsogirl View Post
    Hi:

I had this for several months and didn't relay it till it became unbearable. Uro ran a kidney scan nothing. I have severe retention. I think that might be part of this issue. He ruled it out to fibro issues, and wanted to order PT, if I wanted, I have done that route many times. I had it bad this weekend. but he gave me some flomax which considerably helps with the retentention (a huge bag of samples.).
    Hmm... I've been checked for urine retention a few times at the doctors office, and they said I didn't have any retention at all. Of course, I'm sure that can change.

Diseases
    Vulvodynia/VVS (5 years)
    Possible mild IBS
    Anal fissure (1 year)

Symptoms
    Frequency and urgency
    Burning with urination
    Anal itching

Prescription Medication
    Amitriptyline
    Servira
    Estrace

Ow. It sounds like a kidney stone to me. But I do get pain on one side (left) more than the other, just IC pain, so who knows? I hope it eases up for you.
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Quote Originally Posted by Berkshire Road View Post
    Ow. It sounds like a kidney stone to me. But I do get pain on one side (left) more than the other, just IC pain, so who knows? I hope it eases up for you.
    I was wondering if it was a kidney stone or an ovarian cyst. How do they check for kidney stones?

Diseases
    Vulvodynia/VVS (5 years)
    Possible mild IBS
    Anal fissure (1 year)

Symptoms
    Frequency and urgency
    Burning with urination
    Anal itching

Prescription Medication
    Amitriptyline
    Servira
    Estrace

ICN Member
    i was told by my doctor that the pain from constipation usually runs along the left side of the body b/c that is where your intestines are, so when they clog there is pressure created there.

If the pain persists I would go back in and insist on more tests. I know worriesome a "mystery" pain can be so I sympathize with you I hope you find out what is going on.

Sarah
    Current meds; , effexor 37.5 mg 2 times a day, and lyrica 100 mg 3 times a day, lots of reading and snuggling with the pets!

ICN Member
    I have had a lot of pain in the right side, but I also have had two c-sections, gallbladder removed, hysterectomy with both ovaries removed, cervix, etc. I just had a diagnostic laparoscopy done Feb 12 and the Gyn said my appendix was stuck down with adhesions and my intestines had all shifted to the left stuck everywhere with adhesions. If you've had previous abdominal surgeries, adhesions could be a cause of the pain. I get the pain so bad even while driving and would have to pull off the road.

I hope you get some answers and relief soon.

Thread Information