Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial

Thread: chills

chills

Does anyone have "chills" alot. I've been diagnosed with IC since 2000 but just recently have started experiencing frequent "chills" just that feeling of being bone cold and not being able to warm up. Don't have fever.....and just the usual IC / IBS stuff, but no other new symptoms. Anyone else experience this?? just curious.

IC ( dx'd 2000)
    Endometriosis (4 laparoscopies, hysterectomy 2000)
    inguinal hernias (surgery in 2001)
    IBS (dx'd 2006)
    hydro w/ distention
    migraines
    arthritis

meds: topamax, nuerontin, valium (prn), pyridium (my bf , elavil, vesicare, at home instillations

discontinued meds: elmiron, atarax, utira, various other frequency meds and muscle relaxers

ICN Member
    I have never experienced chills. I have had IC for little over a year. When I first starting taking some of my medication, not sure exactly which one caused it but I did experience some mild perspiration.

Ya I was cold all day today, and even turned up my thermometer at work. I thought my boss was going to throttle me!!! Seemed chilled to the bone too, and I have aches and pains everywhere, and of course my bladder is bothering me. I don't think it's the flu or anything because other than that I'm fine, but it is really cold here right now and has been for a while, and I really could use some warm weather. I have cabin fever. I hope you warm up soon. I'm going to heat up my magic bag in the microwave, and go to bed. Sweet dreams.

The last few Winters have been hard on me. I get cold and don't warm up unless I am in the shower or in bed. I used to love the cold weather but not so much the older I get. I have discovered that cold hurts me. It hurts my hands, my feet, my face, my entire body. There is truth in the saying that the older one gets the thinner the skin. I am living proof of that. Spring is on the way and if there be Spring, there be warmer weather on its way. Oh happy day!!!
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Yes

Before I got IC I would walk around my house in the winter with a shirt off (I'm male) and with bare feet. After I got IC I was constantly cold all the time. I would constantly get chills. I had to buy space heaters and just sit in front of them in some of my previous livings quarters in college. The room that I live in now is cold...But It isn't as bad as it used to be.

I don't know if you get an regular exercise, but that and muscle massage work a lot. I had a lot of tight core muscles, my abdominals, and my leg adductor muscles. When the muscles are tight, blood flow is restricted and it is much easier to get cold, and then you tend to tense up the muscle, precipitating the whole process. Keeping your core temperature high is really important, and adequate bloodflow.

Also, I don't know if you have heard of this, but you may want to try L-arginine. It is an alternative therapy that Doctor Moldwin mentions in his book. You can get it at vitamin shoppe. L-arginine is an essential amino acid that acts as a vasodilator, and helps open up blood vessels for better blood flow. It helped me a lot with the cold feeling but I don't think it was great for my bladder. Some find it very therapeutic for both though. Vasodilation can cause lowering of blood pressure, so as always you should consult your doctor before you try it.

Onset of symptoms 1/04 after laproscopic appendectomy
    Diagnosed with prostatitis 3/04, again 6/04, again 9/04, went through various cycles of anti-biotics.
    Self diagnosed with PFD 6/05, received PT on and off for a year with good results but recurring symptoms.
    Self diagnosed with IC 2/07, officially diagnosed via potasium test 3/07

Current meds:

Uracyst
    Benedryl

Having great results with Uracyst

Alex

Hi there....

I know you said you don't have a fever, but for the record, when I get chills with my IC, that is one of the signals to me that I have a UTI on top of the IC. It may not hurt to get your urine tested.......

just my 2 cents........
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

I get chills every time I pee. I think it is the pain in my urethra. It is so piercing it just gives me chills. The only way to get rid of the chills is to take a hot bath.
    DeAnna:

IC
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    FIBROMYALGIA
    and more......

PLEASE FORGIVE SPELLING

I am always cold natured. We have a pool and I don't even swim in it until it's over 90 degrees and that's pushing it. I really like it when it's 95 degrees. When everyone else says it like swimming in bath water (and I live in the south!). I only swim during the day as well. I always freeze at work so I always have my heating pad on and my sweater and I drink hot water. I even had to buy a sweatshirt to wear at Disney World last summer after it had rained earlier. I take a small blanket to the movie theater...always cold in there! When I get cold, my bladder acts up, so I do whatever I can to not be cold. I keep waiting for the time in my life that I will have hot flashes. Everyone says I will eat my words, but the way I feel, I doubt it! The bad thing is that my mother has always been cold natured as well. She never had hot flashes. So my issue of being cold may just be genetic.

Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Cadyfatcat View Post
    Before I got IC I would walk around my house in the winter with a shirt off (I'm male) and with bare feet. After I got IC I was constantly cold all the time. I would constantly get chills. I had to buy space heaters and just sit in front of them in some of my previous livings quarters in college. The room that I live in now is cold...But It isn't as bad as it used to be.

I don't know if you get an regular exercise, but that and muscle massage work a lot. I had a lot of tight core muscles, my abdominals, and my leg adductor muscles. When the muscles are tight, blood flow is restricted and it is much easier to get cold, and then you tend to tense up the muscle, precipitating the whole process. Keeping your core temperature high is really important, and adequate bloodflow.

Also, I don't know if you have heard of this, but you may want to try L-arginine. It is an alternative therapy that Doctor Moldwin mentions in his book. You can get it at vitamin shoppe. L-arginine is an essential amino acid that acts as a vasodilator, and helps open up blood vessels for better blood flow. It helped me a lot with the cold feeling but I don't think it was great for my bladder. Some find it very therapeutic for both though. Vasodilation can cause lowering of blood pressure, so as always you should consult your doctor before you try it.
    How much L- arginine do you take? I take 2 500mg at bedtime. Mabye I should take 2000mg a day. DO you know the recomended dose? Good I just started bp meds in November.L- arginine maybe it will help my bp if it is a vasodilator it should help bp. It makes me a little sleepy. How about you?

Vicky

Hi, I also live in Alabama.

Chills, bone cold?.......Sometimes this can be a symptom of having a low thyroid. I had this and was cold all the first part of my life. My family thought it was very funny that my hands and feet were like ice blocks. Not funny when you are a small child and have no one to turn to for help.
    I remember in my math class, my hands turned deep blue because the teacher decided that students could learn better with colder room temps. and turned the heat way down. When other students noticed my blue hands, they began screaming. I was so cold and just too paralyzed to run out and look for help or warmth. Later, after the class, my Mom came and picked me up and once home I took a hot shower and got under blankets to warm up. I think I was close to real hypothermia that day. My Doctor told me he has seen a lot of people die from this kind of hypothermia as they just were alone at home and the house became to cold. Once in a hypothyroid coma, the person has only a 50/50 chance of survival. Usually, these are the elderly folks who have little money to pay for heating.

I suffered with bone-cold chills for years, and finally I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I now take a thyroid hormone and I can deal with cold temperatures better. When I attend my water exercise classes, I hear others complain about how cold the water is, and It is always the same 84 degrees. It feels like a tropical vacation to me. It takes a lot for me to shiver with the chills now that I am treated. I no longer feel bone cold.

I sure feel that anyone with extreme sensitivity to cold or problems with a lower body temperature should mention this to their Doctor.

I never realized that this could be a symptom of the very serious health problem, hypothyroidism. I learned much too late, that when low thyroid is not treated, edema will slowly block vascular blood flow to nerves and thus causes nerve damage. In very severe cases, death may result, and this happens sometimes to the elderly poor and the homeless. Brrrrrrrr......cat:

lots of good info. thanks for everyone's input

I went through many tests including my thyroid when I was losing my hair, which was caused by Elmiron and the stress, pain and all the freaking meds I was on. My iron level was better than it is most of the time and my Thyroid tested fine. My core temperature is also about always lower than 98.6 when they take my temperature, so I guess I am just cold blooded. My boss (who did have Thyroid problems and surgery, etc) and I are both sitting with mostly men in our area of the building and during this fall/winter we have both been wearing an extra sweater all the time. We aren't allowed to have space heaters unless we have a note from our doctor, so when I go this Monday to my uro/gyno, I am going to ask him to write me a note.

Like DeAnna mentioned, I experience chills when I urinate during a flare. Very strange sensation! It seems like it's an involuntary reaction to the pain. (I'm in a flare at the moment and so the last chill memory is quite recent with a new one soon to come. WAAAH!)

Vicki

ICN Member
    I know this is an old thread, but this how i am feeling right now, been in flare a couple of months now. Going to see uro in about 3.5 weeks.
    I have had my thyroid checked several times, and its fine, I am not anemic. I do not turn blue when i get the chills. I can have not fever or a low grade one, any time of the day. Its seems the more pain I am in the worst the chills, are. Being mid August, when i would usually have the air way down due to the high temps to keep me cool, i i barley have it on. Anyone else experiencing this lately?

ICN Member
    Started having chills this weekend, mild internal ones. IC seems to be flaring today (Monday). Am starting 2 new Doctor's next week. Uro & GP don't wanna run to a clinic this week, can't I catch a break from worry and the never ending cycle of what is going on now?

I have been feeling achy so it may be infection. I need to be at work and not home or at DR's... Sick of this.

Thread Information