Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014
    ICN Member

Milk of Magnesia

After reading several raves about the stuff, I decided to give MOM a try for my semi chronic constipation. I was under the impression that people were taking it every day, but on the bottle it seems to be a temporary kind of thing. I'm looking for some feedback about how people are using MOM. Do you take it every day, or just as needed? Is there a magnesium supplement that can be taken daily instead? (I'm sure it would be cheaper and easier). And does anyone know if MOM can be taken during pregnancy? I'm not pregnant but may become so and would like to know if I should stop it if I do. Lastly, I found that a daily stool softener made me really dehydrated after a few days. Does anyone have this issue with MOM?

Thanks in advance,
    Jen
    If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

I have used it everyday (normally) and not had any issues. My doctor advised me to use it. I was taking a prescription which was fiber stuff that I mix in water and I found that MOM did better with no cramping. I don't fill the entire cup, just about half.

Don't know anything about while you are pregnant. Not been that way in a long time.

Hope you find what works!

I was thinking about trying that new cheese that they are advertising..that you will feel "normal" in 14 days or your money back. I haven't checked the ingredients, but it looks like white cheese and I can normally handle that.
    Tracey

I would ask your doc about what kind of "usage" would be good for you - I used it as needed, and like Tracey83, I didn't use the full dose, lol. Even half a dose was a bit too much for me, so knocked it down to a 1/4 of what a regular dose is.

I've been using the cheese stuff too! They have the mozz I believe (the sticks) - but I haven't looked at the ingredients so can't offer any input there, lol.
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

ICN Member
    speaking of the cheese stuff Traceann, tht activia works wonders and I really like the taste!

Hi. Whats the cheese stuff? I never heard of it. As for the MOM, I do not take it every night, I take it maybe 3-4 times a week. It has worked great for me. I would ask your doctor what he recomends and I have no idea if thats safe to take with pregnancy. I would ask your doc that also. Mom works great for me because it doesn't make me gassy. Lisa
    Lisa
    Current meds:Elavil, Lortab as needed, Vivelle dot hormone patch 0.1mg, estrace cream, lidocaine ointment, pepcid
    Diagnosis: IC in 1999 , IBS, Pelvic floor dysfunction, vulvodynia, vestibulitis, chronic low back pain, scoliosis, hunners ulcers on bladder, hysterectomy 2/08, fibro 3/08, sciataca

Me and my girls, my son, me and my wonderful fiance, and our puppy Miley (who loves to cuddle).

Could someone tell me more about this chesse stuff?..lol
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

lol, Ronda I just posted about that also. lol I never heard of it. I wonder if its for constipation.
    Lisa
    Current meds:Elavil, Lortab as needed, Vivelle dot hormone patch 0.1mg, estrace cream, lidocaine ointment, pepcid
    Diagnosis: IC in 1999 , IBS, Pelvic floor dysfunction, vulvodynia, vestibulitis, chronic low back pain, scoliosis, hunners ulcers on bladder, hysterectomy 2/08, fibro 3/08, sciataca

Me and my girls, my son, me and my wonderful fiance, and our puppy Miley (who loves to cuddle).

Milk of M

Is the Activia IC safe? I need something. I go 7 or 8 days without going to the bathroom. It's miserable.
    Pam

It's been advertised lately and is alot like the yogurt that is supposed to help your digestive system. It's looks like string cheese. I am going to go buy some tonight if I have the energy to go to the grocery store when I get off work. I am not much of a cheese fan, but I like string mozzerella cheese at times so that might be a good snack and "good" for me as well. I have no idea who makes it...haven't paid that close attention to the commercials, but I am sure I can find it pretty easily.

T83

I think the "cheese stuff" is Activia.

I think it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor before taking any laxative full time.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I've used the Activia yogurt and loved it, but I got tired of eating the same old thing every day, lol. Then I switched to the LiveActive cheese products. I am able to tolerate the colby-jack cubes, but I have noticed that they have sticks in mozz I believe and another cheese version, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is, lol. I think the LiveActive stuff is by Kraft, and I found it in my regular cheese section at the dairy aisle of my grocery store

Both the Activia and the LiveActive have the "active live" probiotic critters in them to help "promote reguarity" (that's how they describe it, lol) - it's basically a vehicle for the probiotics. I can say it doesn't work like a laxative, so it's not the "quick fix" sort of solution like MOM etc., so like Donna said if that's the route you need - definitely talk to the doc about using one etc!
    Hugs,
    Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Others:

My GI doctor said I could take milk of mag every day. I also take Miralax 4 times a day. That is what my doctor told me to do at this point though because I have lots of issues with fissures and constipation. There are many times I still do not go though for 5-6 days. Everyone is different!
    Current diagnosis
    Severe IC, Severe Endometriosis(keeps growing back all over despite surgeries and treatment), Chronic ovarian cysts, Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome,Fibromyalgia,Inguinal hernia, bursititis of the hip, Migraines, IBS, Celiac disease, CROHN'S Disease, Chronic Constipation, Chronic anal fissures, Vulvodynia, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Pirisformis muscle spasms,vulvar vestibulitis, chronic insomnia, Burning Mouth Syndrome, Brain TUMOR, Chronic Lyme Disease,Temporomandibular Joint Disorder,Degenerative disc disease,Arthritis.
    Allergies: Elmiron, Levaquin, Sulfa-Anaphylactic shock,Morphine, Doxyclycline,Cipro

Treatments I have tried:Bladder instillations, Oral meds-Elmiron, Elavil (amitryptyline), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril & Atarax), Ditropan, Levsin, Urispas, Urised, Pyridium, Cystoprotek, Desert HarvestAloe,antibiotics,Ultram,Neurontin,Valium,Tramadol,Lunesta,Ketor olac,Cipro,Meloxicam,Dilaudid,Morphine,Vicoden,Darvocet,oxycontin,Lyri ca,Cymbalta,Nortriptyline,Enblex,Baclofen,Clonidine,oxybutynin,Detrol, Nitroglycerine ,Vesicare,Sanctura(there are more but this is enough)
    Physcial Therapy, Cystoscopy with Hydrodistentions, Numerous Nerve Blocks, Neuromodulation-including Sacral neuromodulation(Interstim) and post-tibial nerve stimulation (Urgent PC-12week), Botox, bladder instills, physical therapy, natural(herbs)Current meds: Long list..just email if you are interested
    Interstim implants--8 plus surgeries for them.
    I am selling IC awareness bracelets, keychains, pens and pins..if interested please email me! ThanksFeel free to email me at mlzippy7@yahoo.com.
    One day at a time

Mom

I have been taking it every other day and it works great, I just wish it tasted better. Does anyone take the Cherry flavor? I just take the original.

I bought the cherry flavor - it's not too bad either!
    Hugs,
    Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Others:

ICN Member
    Has anyone ever tried the Phillips' Caplets? I had such a hard time swallowing the MOM plus it would make me feel sick at times. I even tired the cherry. The thought of drinking anymore of that stuff made me feel sick. I decided to try the caplets and I found there was a difference and they do not make me feel sick to my stomach. I feel they are less harsh. I started out taking two a day now I am down to 1/2 per day. Has anyone else tried these? Does MOM work better for you or the same?

MOM contain magnesium hydroxide-400mg
    Phillips' Caplets contain magnesium -500mg

My mother in law eats Activia and she says it works really good. It sure it worth a try. I have been constipated my whole life I will try anything. My doctor know what I take I have told him and it is alright.

Paula

Thread Information