Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #14: Surgery is Rarely Used To Treat IC/BPS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stem cell?

ICN Member

Stem cell?

Hey anyone else out there curious about stem cell treatment and IC? I mean if they can make a partially new bladder with stem cells don't you think that there is a posibility it could be used for IC? I have tried to research it but can't find anything anywhere that they are even trying it. I even found a Dr. it sounds like that is able to replace diseased urethras (Dr. Anthony Atala at the Wake Institute for Regenerative Medicine) with stem cells...hmmmm...anyone else out there curious or have info? I am thinking about spending my time writing these Dr.'s letters on behalf of IC patients...even if they just glance at them I would feel like I am doing SOMETHING productive.

Stacy

ICN Member

Just FYI

The stem cells they are having the most success with are from a persons own body (so there is no rejection)...just thought I would put that out there in case people are against stem cell because they come from embrios!

I've thought about that too. But I wonder, if I were able to get a new bladder, would I develop IC in the new bladder as well? Since we don't have a clear answer on what causes IC, it's hard to know.

Just thought I'd throw that into the discussion.
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

ICN Member
    My thought is that you wouldn't have to get a whole new bladder -- in fact it would probaby be better to have your old bladder so they can harvest healthy cells from it. From what I understand with other therapies is they put in healthy cells and the healthy cells kind of take over. I have heard for some diseases that they will use the stem cells and it will work for a while then the disease comes back...but at least they KNOW. I am curious as to why I can't find any research on it. Has someone tried something and it didn't work or have they never tried anything...?

Stacy

I heard a long time ago that they were working on it, but like I said, it was a long time ago. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

What a wonderful, glorious feeling it will be when the real cure is found.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I think stem cells or healthy cells to create a bladder is a wonderful way to get better. I did contact someone about using healthy cells that can create a bladder but was told that they don't know if this will work for IC. They take healthy cells out and create a bladder with it. It takes time but afterward they can put the new bladder in to replace the damage bladder.

I wish they would do more research on both ways, the stem cells and healthy cells.

Hugs, Trishann

Today Show episode

I had seen a show almost a year ago, I think on the Today Show, where a surgeon had taken a certain amount of a person's intestine and somehow created a new bladder. They had done this in about 10 people and all of them were doing well. I remember the show b/c I had a foot of intestine removed about 2 months prior and I was ticked that the show wasn't on prior...Could have hit 2 birds with 1 stone during that surgery.....Anyways, I haven't heard anymore about the bowel to bladder surgery, but it would be amazing if this is actually possible in the future for us all!!

ICN Member
    This is really interesting. I agree with the posters, though who mention that the underlying reason for the pain and problems would need to be determined before a real cure could probably be found. A new bladder would probably be attacked just like an old one if the problem for some is autoimmune, or a parasympathetic nerve dysfunction.

I come from a long line of "gut" thinking ladies. My "gut" tells me that in our lifetimes there will be significant movement on this disease, however.

Ettegirb21, I think you are talking about the internal pouch (know as Koch, Florida, or Indiana pouch) constructed by a bowel segment. This procedure will only be done for those who bladder is beyond repair or help. Complications of these prodecures are kidney infections, kidney damage, metabolic disturbance, increased mucus production, as well as recurrence of IC on the bowel tissue. Unfortunately sometimes this have to be done because there is no other option I believe at this time. Some do well and some do not do so well.

Hopefully research will be done to find a better way without so many complications during the surgery and years after.

I am guessing this is what you are talking about.

Hugs, Trishann

ICN Member
    I know that if the underlying problem were..let's say..autoimmune...then the body would still attack the bladder -- kind of like what we see when some people get a new bladder made out of intestine. BUT wouldn't it be cool to even know just that, like stem cells don't work because the body is still attacking the bladder...I think right there would intrigue some scientists to do more research. It frustrates me a little though that they can build a NEW bladder but I can't find any research being done on repairing the diseased one (with stem cells) which honestly to me sounds easier...now if it doesn't work it doesn't work...but it would be REALLY nice to find research that someone has tried....

Stacy

There is only one word I can say Stacy "Amen" to what you said.

Sending hugs, Trishann

I've wondered about stem cell too. I'm all for it if it would help us out, even for a little bit. I haven't found any research on it either yet. If they made a new bladder from stem cells, do you think that if a person started right away watching the diet and avoiding triggers and trying to keep healthy and fight infections that it would keep the bladder healthier longer? Since I had my chlorpactin treatment I have been doing better (not perfect, but better!) and I think that a lot of that is because I've tried not to irritate my bladder and I've been taking antibiotics to avoid infection. I'm sure that the cranberry juice that all my doctors before were shoving down me did nothing but make it worse! Just a thought!
    Also, my uro talked about the pouch made from intestine, but she said that was a last resort.

new bladder

I was dx about 7 years ago. When I first researched IC I read about people who had their bladders removed and they still had IC. And I know every person is different but my IC started in my kidneys.
    I pray for a cure every day. Stem cells my be the answer.
    I know we will get there :woohoo:

Kat, how did you know that IC started in your kidneys. Did you have a certain test done? Just wonder because I heard of people having kidney damage because of IC in the bladder so I am guessing it can be the other way too. I don't think this is the norm but it can happen.

Hugs, Trishann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information