Latest Blog Article: Vaginal Mesh Sling Complications and IC?

Vagina is burning (not yeast or uti)...any suggestions for relief?

Wise folks...my vagina is on fire. It's not a yeast infection, nor is it a UTI. It's likely a flare from PT (some internal trigger point work). That said, what are your best suggestions for finding a bit of relief? Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
    mom_in_ma

First of all water, water, water. The next thing I suggest if you are not already is to stay strictly on the IC diet while you are flaring. And tums always sems to help reduce the the acid which in turn helps with the burning. I would also suggest you call and get your dr to write you a script of Lidocaine Gel, I do not no what I would do without it when I am burning. Im sure some others will have some more tips.. Remb also if possible use filtered water, some tap water might have chemicals in it and that will also cause you to burn.. Good luck..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

If it is from PT than I suspect is PFD. Alternate heat and cold, take a bath, breath deaply, chamomile, do rescue instillation since that can help get the muscles to relax too, focus as much as you can on relaxing....and I suggest asking your PT for a prescription for lidocaine gel to help you with with post therapy PFD flare after therapy!!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

ICN Member
    Avoid baths and take luke warm showers.

Whenever you urinate, pour a bottle of room temp water over your genital area as you "go." Just keep an empty bottle by the toilet and fill it either the last time you went or before you do so next time.

Its very cooling.

Also, after your shower, run cool (but not cold) water over your genital area.

Sleep with no undies and try to go without them as much as possible.

If they used any kind of lubricant for the therapy, it may be it is a problem for you. When you have your next session, you might ask if they can try something different.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I get this too and I recommend aloe vera gel kept in the fridge and using that. My doctor recommended it to me two years ago and I cant live without it now!!!
    Started with symptoms 2004 after a severe infection.
    Was diagnosed with IC Feb 2006 after cystoscopy.
    Diagnosed with vulvodyina and PN in july 2006.
    Dignosed with ME and IBS Oct 2006.
    Currently taking Amytriptaline 50mg, regular pain killers and birth control!
    Also doing IC diet and regular use of heat packs.
    Still struggling with IC and controling my symptoms so looking for some help

also recently had abnormal pap, CIN III and just had LEEP done 2007

I use Band-Aid Hurt Free Wash all the time for stuff like this. It's on the aisle with the neosporin. It's actually used for cuts & scrapes, but feels works wonders for burning, and it's OTC so you don't have to wait on your Dr. It has lidocaine in it and is very cool when you squirt it on. I use probably a bottle every few days when things are bad and don't know what I'd do without it! Be sure to pay extra & get the Band-Aid brand and not the generic. I've found that the generic doesn't seem to work as well. Hope you get relief soon!
    Elle

ice, lidocaine gel, off your feet always helped me. i had my cervix removed due to prolaspse and since then (knock on wood) no more burning! . good luck!
    mom to 3 wonderful kids

IC symptoms 7/03,
    hysterectomy 11/04,
    prolapse cervix 7/07
    diagnosed: IC 2007
    IBS 2008

Lidocaine helps me when that happens after PT. I have one spot that burns all the time. I am on my 12th session with my PT and she has released the musclel some what, but still tight as heck.

Good luck..
    Minds are like parachutes-they ony function when they are open.
    -Thomas DeWar-

ICN Newbie Volunteer

*ICN Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

People are all giving you great ideas, including Donna's. I have problems with a lot of gels, lubes, stuff, "down" there.

I also swear by Epsom salts baths and chamomile tea. The good news is that they are cheap fixes for me.

Good luck,

Julie
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member

Unhappy Burning!

I feel as if I am on fire. So far the desitin seems to help but is there something else that isn't so messy

ICN Member
    I'm suffering from the same thing right now! Took a walk this morning, my vagina hurt so bad - everything around there look red, inflamed. I've been pouring luke warm water on the area after I pee, even put an ice pack, and go without undies as much as I can, it's been going on for 2 days now.

What is this?? Not a yeast infection and not an UTI, but it burns like hell and it hurts to pee. Is this common with IC?
    Dg. with IC 2/15/10

Other conditions: depression, ADHD, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS-C.

Medications I'm on: Vyvanse 70mg, Xanax 1 mg as needed, Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain, Microgestin 1/20 continuously.

Supplements I'm taking: Chondroitin Sulfate, N-acetyl-glucosamine, MSM 3gr/day, Pancreatin, B-5, Ester-C, and marshmallow root tea

i have found a couple of things have worked well for me.

first as mentioned no undies and loose cotton bottoms at home, mens boxers, or cotton pj bottoms.

i bought from a pharmacy a jar of the base they use when making medicated ontiments, you can buy it in a big jar at costco, has no preservatives or additives etc. can't remember the name right now but can get it if you want it, i think it is called galaxo base, but not sure.

i got a rx for rx hemoriod ont, it works well, it has bit of ab's, freezing, antiinflmitory, all theses work well on inflammed skin in this area. but needs to be the rx kind, the otc has stuff in it that can make you worse.

a pfd therapist said to use slippery stuff as a lube, i find it less irritating than others.

i also went back to using just plain ordinary tide laudry soap.

hope some of these suggestions work for you.

mg

ICN Member
    Did your PT use a lubricant? Every lube I have tried causes my vagina to burn. My doc said these lubes can effect the ph/flora of the vagina and suggested plain yoghurt in the vagina/ vulva. I tried that along with atarax( antihistamine) and after 6 weeks the pain was gone. I now apply plain yogurt once a week as a preventative measure. Of course, consult your doctor first.
    current meds- ditropan 5mg xl, neurontin 300 mg. zanaflex for pelvic floor spasms Most meds, IC meds included, cause me bladder pain

previous med- elmiron( nothing after 8 months), atarax ( to sleepy), ditropan ( retention), Cymbalta, cystoprotek( worsened flare) has helped many others, aloe vera ( worsened flare), lyrica( irritated bladder.

interstim implant (reduces my ic pain)January,2007

Thread Information