Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ICN Member

Unhappy weird urine smell?

I've only been on Elmiron for a few days. Beside a bit of indigestion and a headache, it hasn't been too bad. Actually having a bit of a flare right now. Boo.

But I've noticed a terribly strong smell to my urine. It's quite foul. Has anyone else noticed this while on Elmiron or should I be worried about something else? It's not the "fish" smell associated with yeast infections though.

Sorry for being graphic, but these questions have gotta be asked!

Thanks for your help, as always.

I didnt seem to have this when I started Elmiron.. If I were you I would drink alot more water to dilute my urine and see if this helps, if not I would go get checked for an infection..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

If I were you, I'd talk my uro into doing a culture. I've been battling staph in my bladder for over a year. The test they did in office showed "no infection" but urine had blood and alot of white cells. When we send it to the lab, it grows staph. The smell mine has is almost like stale urine. Best of luck to you.
    Jamey

dx
    IC, endometriosis, cervical dysplasia, bi-polar, trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder), scoliosis, fibroid breast disorder, chronic fatigue, arthritis in hands, temporal lobe seizures
    meds
    buspar 30mg, atarax 100mg, norco 10mg 30/week for pain, vimpat 100mg 2/day, trileptal 600mg 2/day
    flare strategyestrace cream, lidocaine jelly, and ice pack on urethra. ativan .5mg for severe flares only

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
    (and looking for rainbows)

notmybestday

Quote Originally Posted by notmybestday View Post
    I've only been on Elmiron for a few days. Beside a bit of indigestion and a headache, it hasn't been too bad. Actually having a bit of a flare right now. Boo.

But I've noticed a terribly strong smell to my urine. It's quite foul. Has anyone else noticed this while on Elmiron or should I be worried about something else? It's not the "fish" smell associated with yeast infections though.

Sorry for being graphic, but these questions have gotta be asked!

Thanks for your help, as always.
    YES...I've noticed a strange smell too. At first I didn't know what it could be, but now I think it is the meds. I am drinking nothing but water and milk every day, so maybe this will help. Hopefully it is just something that will bother me and no one else needs to know about it.

Have you eaten any asparagus? It will make your urine smell almost like burnt rubber.
    Miss Bessie

Galatians 6:2 - Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Hebrews 13:2 - Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by doing so some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Proverbs 4:23 - Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life

No, not me. I rarely eat asparagus and haven't for sure since I've been on this IC diet for the past 3 weeks. Never noticed this weird smell before going on the medication.

ICN Member

Urine Smell

I have noticed the same thing. I have been taking elmiron for about 2 months. Also has anyone noticed that there urine has turned very yellow? Its just started a couple of days ago and its yellow enought little spots are staining my clothes

IC Friend
    I am newly diagnosed and have been on the Elmiron for a month now and noticed the smell and cloudiness at 3 weeks or so. I am just pushing more water and trying to get used to it. I figured it was partly due to being sick of drinking water so lack of. I have been extremely lucky in finding pure blueberry and pear juice with no additives though! I go in to learn the self cath. next week......stress.

ICN Member
    I noticed the smell after being on Elmiron. Thought I was the only one! I wondered if it was part of the disease itself. I stopped Elmiron, and it's gone for now. I also noticed another odor if I was going 25 times a day etc. That was because it's impossible to stay as clean as before I guess.

I've noticed that smell, and I'm not on Elmiron. Strange. My urine is also usually very yellow (even when I'm not flaring) unless I drink a ton of water.
    I have: Interstitial Cystitis,Eustacian Tube Dysfunction, IBS, Sciatica.

I take: Elavil 50 mgs, Balziva birth control, and Elmiron instillations.

I am: Not my disease.

My Myspace Page: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=4249067

ICN Member

yellow urine

I think that means it is consentrated and you might be dehydrated. To me I think the smell might be a uti or something you are eating. I know asparagus (I can not spell to save my life) makes urine smell.
    Daily Meds:

IC-Meds
    Ditropan XL 5 BID, Elavil 50 QD, Elmiron 200 BID, Hydroxine 50 BID. As Needed: Bacofen 20, Prosed DS, Hydrocodone/Apap.

Other Meds
    Adderal 10 QD, Remmeron 37 QD (I take 1 1/2 of 25 mg)

With the help of my doctor moving my meds around a bit by increasing this and decreasing that I have found a good combination of meds (for now and I pray a long time from now).

If it is anomina smell, if you drink more water it will go away.

Hugs, Trish

Talking

If the color is very yellow , have you happened to just add a multi vitiman in the mix there? That will also cause a color change.
    Hugs Sandra
    "Never Give Up."

To view pictures of my creative interests and Maine Coon kittens click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7769467@N03/

My Photobucket Link:
    http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...ramack_photos/

ICN Member
    Well the smell is largely gone. I'm not sure what it was. It wasn't dehydration for sure. I'm very consciously drinking a lot of water since my diagnosis. Who knows...

if you have any more problems I would call your Dr's office to drop a urine by. I would ask for it to be sent to the lab to be double sure its not an infections, but if your taking a low dose of anti. or something that helps with bladders spasm that has dye in it. It can tamper with the results of the lab test. my Dr's office always tells me to make sure not to take any of the above for at least three days before coming in to give a sample.
    I do hope things will continue to improve for you. Hang in their never give up.
    it takes time, but you will find the right treatments that works best for you.
    Rhonda
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information