Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Angel watching over us born2swim's Avatar

"soothing foods"

Are there foods that are supposed to help calm down the bladder?
    [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Personally, I'm not very sensetive to diet, so I can't really speak from experience. But chamomile tea, mint tea, and almond milk seem to have a reputation for having a calming effect on the bladder.

Medical Conditions: interstitial cystitis, bipolar disorder (type I), hypothryoidism, tachycardia (chronic)

Other Occasional Health Problems: blepharitis and allergies

Current IC Treatments: just avoidance of triggers

Current BP I Treatments: Seroquel and lithium orotate

Current Thyroid Treatments: Natural Sources Raw Thyroid

Current Tachycardia Treatments: Metoprolol

Past IC Treaments:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen
    Hydroxyzine
    Elmiron
    Urocit-K
    pelvic floor therapy
    avoidance of flare-causing beverages

cystoscopy with hydrodistention
    Detrol LA
    MSM Sulfur Dietary Supplement
    Prelief
    Neurontin
    Pyridium
    adherence to the traditional IC diet

Elavil
    DMSO
    Ditropan XL
    Levbid
    & the herb dandelion, although the tea tasted good

I do my best to avoid the "banned" foods, but I've found that I do OK with the tropicana low acid orange juice, caffeine free tea and Sprite. Tomatoes don't bother me all that horribly. For the most part, I only drink water, but there are some days when water just doesn't cut it. I've also learned that grapes and yogurt are completely out of the question and will cause a major flare up with just a few bites. Once diagnosed and shown what I "should" be eating, it was the worst feeling. I had just cut out all processed foods and junk foods and was primarily eating fruits, veggies and chicken. Now I can't eat most fruits without suffering the consequences.
    Meds regimen: Elmiron 100mg Daily, Allegra 180mg Daily, Nuvaring, a probiotic

other medical issues- IC, IBS, Migraines, Eczema, Asthma, Allergies, Syncopal episodes (that they still don't know what causes them...) and extremely loose joints

Drink choices: water, and the occasional caffeine free pop

Quote Originally Posted by green_the_fish View Post
    Personally, I'm not very sensetive to diet, so I can't really speak from experience. But chamomile tea, mint tea, and almond milk seem to have a reputation for having a calming effect on the bladder.
    I am not diet sensitive either... but the fact is that there are irritants going into the urine, even if I can't feel the difference. So, I thought what might help soothe the bladder (diet wise). I do have the 3 things you listed, so I will try those and see if there is any difference! Doing the IC diet didn't help reduce my urgency/frequency, so I added some things back and never felt a difference. I still avoid most of the avoid things, but if I have ketchup, tomatoes, ranch dressing, certain seasoning, etc, I can without repercussions. I can even eat chocolate! I am scared to try coffee/tea/citrus. I had OJ the other day and that was a noticeable worsening.

Thanks for the suggestions!

[

ICN Member
    Scrambled eggs are one of my bladder soothers. Also baked potatoes.

ICN Member
    mine is a vanilla milk shake or some licorice

Quote Originally Posted by lorenab View Post
    mine is a vanilla milk shake or some licorice
    Ok... so I didn't know if it was just my sweet tooth or whatnot... but a milk shake seems to agree with my bladder a little bit. I don't want to have one every day... but I do notice my frequency is reduced for a little bit after drinking one...

[

Vanilla Milk Shakes our my favorites bladder calmers... When I am flaring bad and just dont feel like eating, Thats what I go and get..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Vanilla ice cream and milk, or like you guys said----vanilla milkshakes!!! mmmm mmmm mmmm
    Lee Ann
    Current Rx Meds:
    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
    Hooray for babies!
    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
    Didn't work for me:
    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

ICN Member

Soothing foods

I haven't tried a lot of the herbal teas but I have tried cammamille tea and made my own corn silk tea out of a recipe I found in an old home remedies book and to my surprise it did not taste that bad or either I was just so tired of water that it was good, but I did see a good deal of ease of pain in the bladder. I will go buy some some. I miss it now that I am out of the corn silks that I made the tea out of myself.

I do hope you find something to help you.

JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
    Vanilla ice cream and milk, or like you guys said----vanilla milkshakes!!! mmmm mmmm mmmm
    I wonder what it is about milk shakes (or vanilla ice cream) that is soothing for a bunch of us. I don't want one every day (controlling my weight wise), but I do because my bladder feels less irritated when I do...

I wonder what is in those things that makes an improvement. Milk doesn't do it for me, so what is it about ice cream that does? Is it one of the additives that helps? I am curious...

I am thinking about trying mint or some other herbal tea... but I am afraid to since it can hurt some people!

[

ICN Member
    How come milk seems to irritate me, but vanilla milk shakes don't. It's so weird...I've been trying to drink milk lately just to have something else to drink besides water, but it seems to be bothering me, does it bother anyone else?

Kari
    Kari

I'm 47 years old, married 27 years. I have two wonderful boys and two wonderful grandchildren. I was diagnosed in 1994. Life has certainly thrown me many many surprises, all of which I'm trying to stay positive and hopeful, and I try to think about my blessings not my misfortunes, when possible. Stay Strong!

Oh dear God, don't tell me milk can be a problem...

That is one thing I have every day. You know how some people can't give up their coffee... well, I can't give up my milk! LOL! I tried skipping it for 2-3 days and didn't notice a change... but maybe a week or two would be a better test...?

[

For me, scrambled eggs is the first thing I go for. After all of these years, my husband has finally caught on too. When he knows I have had a bad night (and he knows!) he will often make me scrambled eggs without me even saying anything the next morning.

I am also a vanilla shake girl. Never was until the IC. It also gives me something I can get pretty much anywhere when I am traveling. (No wonder I can't get rid of this extra weight! lol)
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

ICN Member
    I do vanilla ice cream.. or ginger tea.. I make it myself.. I by the fresh root.. I cut a chunk into my tea and put a little sugar and poor hot water into it.. always sooths it all.. my tummy too
    Healing thoughts

Bea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information