Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving

Thread: Alkaline Water

ICN Member

Alkaline Water

I am getting relief from drinking alkaline water I found at Whole Foods. It says it's 100 times more alkaline than neutral waters. PH is 9. Has anyone else ever tried this? I'm only voiding 7 times/day since I started. I was going 12 times/day before. Also, I have cut out all coffee, tea, soft drinks.

ICN Member

yes, alkaline water is good!

RE: question about alkaline water: Yes. It was a big help to me. Still is. You may not need that specific brand of water. Try anything with a PH that's 7 or higher (7 is alkaline; below 7 is acidic), which includes Evian and Fiji water. When my bladder was really inflamed I only drank water with a PH of 7 or higher (including Evian and Fiji-- you can find lists of others). At the time I was on a strict IC diet (including no coffee, tea, soda, juice) and taking Aloe vera from Desert Harvest and Cystoprotek, both of which I still take. After a month of these supplements and the diet and the water, I was about 400% better--actually felt normal. It took another 3-4 months of this regimen to sleep through the night and eat whatever I want (in small doses) and drink small doses of coffee (very small) with my daily Caffix (which is a great coffee substitute-I have come to love it!), and very small glasses of white wine on occasion. I still try to only drink high PH waters these now that I'm better but sometimes drink Poland Spring (whose water has all different PHs), tap water, and NYC tap through a Brita filter. But yes, if you're inflamed, stick to the high PH stuff till your bladder is calmed down. If you go back to tap water and you feel crummy, try the Fiji or Evian for a few days and you may notice a big difference. I have. If you can add the aloe vera capsules (NOT juice, it's acidic) from Desert Harvest, also sold on this website, you may find even more improvement! (read about it at www.desertharvest.com). Good luck!!

ICN Member
    I just received the aloe vera from Dessert Harvest in the mail a few days ago. I haven't taken any yet because I wanted to check with my Uro first. Of course, he isn't calling me back and I'm getting impatient. I may just start taking it. Any side effects for you? I'm not allergic to anything I know of.

I had a flare last night after eating asparagus. Guess I better add that to the list of foods I can't eat.

ICN Member

how did you find the water?

I went to our whole foods store in NJ. I looked at their water section and couldn't find any water bottles or containers that said alkaline water or anything of that nature. I asked several of the store workers and they looked at me like I was nuts. I also asked if maybe they sold drops that I can add to my water to make it alkaline. Again, blank stares! What is the name of the water you bought? Thanks.

ICN Member

Evian, Fiji, Volvic

Water with a PH of 7 or higher is considered alkaline, as opposed to acid. These waters include Evian, Fiji, Volvic, and lots of others. Go on-line and read about the PH spectrum, which means acidity vs. alkaline. It a basic biochemical measurement that applies to everything, not just water. To help IC symptoms, eat and drink things that are alkaline rather than acid. There's lots to read about this in all kinds of publications. But start with these kinds of water. TO my knowledge there are no drops you can put in water to make it alkaline. There are plenty of expensive water filter systems you can install for many hundreds of dollars, but start with the bottled stuff from the store. Acid foods and drinks irritate the bladder, hence, no citrus, tomatoes, wine, coffee, tea, etc.

The high PH water also tastes much better -- bec. there's no acid in it (or acidic taste.) I learned a lot from a book I found in the health food store called the Acid-Alkaline Diet, by Christopher Vasey, but there is info in lots of places. You should be able to go to the websites of the various brands of water and find out what the PH is. Or find the phone number you can call on the website and ask them what the PH is. I did this with Poland Spring water and learned that Pol Spring water PH varies from bottle to bottle depending on which springs it comes from, from 6.2 to 7, so P.S. is not a reliable water to take when you've got a really inflamed bladder, though it's okay once your bladder is calmed down.

A book about IC that focuses on this is: THe Interstitial Cystitis Puzzle, by a holistic nurse named Amrit Willis. Which you can also read about on Amazon. She proposes a radical diet that heals the bladder naturally, including taking aloe vera capsules (DO NOT GET THEM AT THE HEALTH FOOD STORE: You NEED A PURE KIND FOR PEOPLE WITH IC--try www.desertharvest.com, also for sale at IC Network store) The radical diet is highly alkaline (high vegs, no fruits). I myself have had great success with the standard IC diet, aloe vera capsules, and Cystoprotek, all natural ingredients, no drugs. AND the hi PH water.

pH

Actually, a pH of 7 is neutral, not alkaline or acidic. Above 7.0 is alkaline and below 7.0 is acidic. I used to teach chemistry. I find it really strange that water with a pH of 9 is considered drinkable but perhaps it is. I seriously doubt it though. That leaves me scratching my head b/c a common household item with a pH of 9 would be soap. Milk has a pH of less than 7---it's around 6.5, so technically milk is an acid, albeit a very weak one. Soda is very acidic at 2.5. With that said, most people with IC can tolerate milk just fine. I know I can. Milk and water are the only things I can drink but I definitely drink spring water ONLY. I don't drink tap and I think this makes a difference. I think tap water has too many impurities and minerals that can be irritating. You have to be careful though b/c Aquafina for sure is just plain tap water that is bottled. And I'm pretty sure the same is for Dasani. But you can tell by reading the label b/c I saw on the news the other day that bottled waters are marked with the letters "P.S.W." which stands for "public water source." Which is their fancy way of saying TAP WATER, ha ha ha, aren't they clever! Actually I had already heard that about Aquafina and Dasani but I didn't realize that the letters PSW meant anything. I have been checking difference brands just for fun and it's surprising how many companies just bottle up tap water and sell it for the same price as natural spring water.

patsagan, what brand is this water? pH is on a logarithmic scale just like the earthquake scale, so for example an earthquake of a 5 is actually ten times worse than a 4. So for your water to be 100 times more alkaline than plain water (which is 7) it would have to be a 9 just like you a saying. But gosh that just seems high to me. I guess if you feel fine and it doesn't taste funny I guess it's working so that's good!~
    Lee Ann
    Current Rx Meds:
    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
    Hooray for babies!
    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
    Didn't work for me:
    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

alkalife

I read about some drops called Alkalife that you can add to tap water to make it more alkaline. You can google it if you're interested in it. I've never used it though.
    Lee Ann
    Current Rx Meds:
    Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
    Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
    Hooray for babies!
    Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
    Didn't work for me:
    Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
    IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

ICN Member
    Aquafina is tap water but it is put through a reverse osmosis filter so it is purified this way. I have one of these filters at home and they are great. They take our softened well water and make it delicious.

ICN Member

Alkaline Water

The water I found at Whole Foods is called Evamor. I found a website: evamor.com. The water tastes great and it has helped tremendously! It comes in a 1.5 liter bottle. Perhaps all the Whole Foods stores don't carry the same merchandise. I'm in Colorado and they sell it here.

ICN Member
    You can make your water more alkaline by adding baking soda. That is why the baking soda and water help with flares. The alkaline water that I have seen at the health food store is very expensive. I may try to add a little baking soda to my water to see if the helps, maybe not the 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per glass I take when I have a flare, but a little to make the water more alkaline. Has anyone else tried this?

ICN Member
    When I first started researching water I was amazed it could be acidic...
    I was drinking ozarka (acidic) and I thought I was doing good because it was water??
    You are correct, alkaline or neutral water helped me too. Something else that helped was eating something green in the morning. This may sound gross but I would have cucumbers. I tried broccoli but yuk--o. I was desperate for pain relief.
    past meds:
    elmiron 100mg 3 x a day
    cystoprotek 6 a day
    elavil 10 mg
    Femcon fe
    non-shellfish vegetarian glucosamine HCL
    750mg once a day

ICN Member
    Thanks for the reply swarr. I think we are all desperate for relief. I tried the water. I found some at a heath food store that was ph 10, so I gave it a try. I didn't have much sucess with it, it didn't make me flare, but it made me have that "uncomfortable tickle" that I sometimes get, so I stopped drinking it after a day and the tickle cleared up. I find that I do better if I take Prelief before I eat or drink things. It seems to keep the acid down in stuff. I am trying to find just how much works for what foods. This is a "learning" experience for sure. Good luck on you journey. I will try the cukes.

ICN Member

tried alkalife

Tried Alkalife drops. Like has happened before with new treatments, I peed GREAT after taking(at first) but the effect wears down. I am worried because of the potassium in it, so I never used it a lot. I use 3 drops instead of four. Good luck, I do recommend trying it at least.

Thread Information