Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014
    IC Friend

Pain When Sitting?

I have been suffering with this pain since April 27th. Originally, it was diagnosed as an UTI. After four bouts with antibiotics, with no relief (just a raging yeast infection) I went to a my old doctor, who did a culture sensitivity test, and said there is something going on there, and it's NOT a UTI.
    Ok - I'm between insurance companies right now, and my new insurance kicks in August 1. I had been self-paying through the other provider (Kaiser) and did not pick up Cobra, because I needed to get back with my own doctor.
    She has scheduled me for the first test on 8/9, which is a IV Paelograph (sp), which she said would be followed by other tests, and an appointment with a urologist if she couldn't determine what the problem is. She mentioned things like: Bladder Stones, divertiulitis, kidney stones (and avoided the "C" word). I have no blood or discharge with this "thing"
    My question here, to this very wonderful site, is if you think I might have IC. These are my symptoms: Throbbing bladder, burning urethra, sore lower back only in the morning, and a feeling like something is stuck up my butt in the rectal area (aching). These symptoms ONLY happen when I am in a sitting position (like now at my computer), or in a car. The pain can get terrible! My feet have started to hurt because I need to stand all the time, or lay down .... and I've taken a leave of absense from work because the pain was absolutely unbearable after an hour there (it's a desk job with a lot of computer work). Today is my first day off, as I just couldn't focus any more.
    Do my symptoms sound like IC, or anything else you might have heard of.
    Thank you so very much.
    jessica davis

ICN Member
    Hi,
    Actually, my pain is definitely much more pronounced when I am sitting also. I was diagnosed with hydro/cysto-and my symptoms were much like yours. I am now on Elavil, which has helped immensely. Good luck!

Just some ideas to research and talk about with your doctor: Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, Vulvodynia, Vulvar Vestibulitis, Pudenal Nerve Entrapment. These conditions can cause pain and irritation, especially while sitting, and often accompany IC. Best wishes. Hope you get some answers and relief soon. For easy and good symptom relief, try heating pad on your back and cold pack between your legs...I use a ziploc of frozen peas.

ICN Member
    HI Jessica, I have IC and Pelvic floor disfunction. I still have a hard time completly seperating my IC symptoms from my PFd symptoms, but I too have difficulties sitting (among many other symptoms) I have alot of vaginal and rectal pain and was told by my Doc that it was from PFD. Definately get checked out though. I was cleared for MANY things: Stones,tumors, cysts, VV, Vaginitis, endometriosis, problems with overies, etc. before I got my IC and PFD diagnoses. I second Briza recomendations of ice and heat. I ened up purchasing a pelvic seat cushion fromthis site and have no regrets. IT has helped me immensly on long car trips, getting through meetings, movies, sports events and on those horrible flare days that I can hardly sit for even a few minutes You may find just sitting on a pillow helps. That's what I do if I am at gone (usually at Doctor's office or someone's house) and don't have my cushion.
    You may want to check out the other threads, especaily for IC symptoms. Definately check out the IC handbook too. That helped me prepare for the many tests I needed to get a clear IC diagnosis.
    Good luck to you!
    Rachel
    DX's:
    IC; PFD; possible Fibromyalgia; IBS;

Symptoms: Frequency, Urgency, pelvic and bladder pain, bladder and pelvic spasms, difficulty starting urination, weak stream, incontinence, vaginal and urethral pain

I've Tried:
    three Hydrodistentions, various Rescue Installments; 6 DSMO treatments; Pyridium Plus; Proced; Detrol (patch); Elavil; Uricet K; Elmiron; Nortiptyline; Ultram; Allegra; Ditropan; Ditropan ER; Vesicare; regular Lidocain; Neurontin; Lyrica; and few more I can't remember!
    Currently using:
    Valium; Vicadin; Proced DS; Claritin; Buffered Lidocain; Cymbalta; Baclofen; Prazosin @ night (also on Prednisone and Adderall for my joint pain and severe fatigue)
    Heating pads; frozen water bottles; A&D ointment; Poise pads; IC dieter since 8/06; yoga; imagery & relaxation CD, Mindfullness, self healing CD's; hot baths; seat cushion; prayer
    I am 28 yrs old, dx'ed in '06, still trying to get my health undercontrol!!

I've only recently realized that sitting is a big trigger for pain for me, too. I always wondered why I had so much more pain on weekends (my job involves a lot of standing)--it's because I sit more on weekends! It took a 4 hour wait in a clinic for me to realize that yes, sitting is the trigger!

Hope everything goes well for you at the doctor's, and that you and your physician can figure out a way to alleviate your pain.

IC Friend

Thank you

I appreciate the feedback on my "sitting" problem. It's prevented me from going to work at this point in time, as my job consists of sitting in front of a computer. I tried standing, but that only works for short periods of time.
    Hopefully, I will know something next week after the IV Pyelogram(sp?).

Thanks for your responses

jess

You're very welcome. Have you considered buying a chair cushion from the ICN shop here? I keep one at work, covered with a floral pillow case,so it doesn't look like a special cushion, you know I also take it with me on long drives, and when at home I sit on a soft down pillow,with a firm pillow behind my back, to keep me in an upright/perched position and to prevent pressure on the painful areas. Is VERY helpful. Feel free to post or pm if you need any additional support or suggestions to help your situaition. Take care,
    Bri ALso and rx for lidocaine gel 2% and/or lidocaine patches used in your undies can give incredible relief...worth talking to your dr about. I know ibuprofen is not well tolerated by many IC patients, but I can handle it and it helps me tremendously with the inflamed feeling down there, esp when used before and after sex, if intercourse causes you more than the usual inflammation. Best wishes...talk to your dr abou some of these things. I carry a bottle of lidocaine gel with me always and it has saved the day more than once. Keep in touch and let us know how things are going. Take care,
    Bri

ICN Member
    I have serve pain from sitting and believe it is from the pelvic floor dysfunction. You might consider a sit-stand desk for work. If you employer is large enough, then by law they may have to accomodate you disability.

I use a Tempurpedic cushion and have had it for years.

ads

Smile

Thanks for that info, ads. I'm a teacher, so I'm sure my district is large enough. I'll bring that up with human resources.

Lightbulb just an idea

Maybe this thread would be more useful if moved to the PFD or Vulvodynia forum?

Thread Information