Latest Blog Article: New IC Awareness Month Contest - What's Your IC Story? $100 Prize

Thread: Prednisone

ICN Member

Prednisone

Hi! So my rheumy put me on prednisone (which can also act as an immunosuppresant) because of all of the other issues I am having (joint pain, poss ANA, neuropathy) but I had read a study that prednisne can also help IC. I can find it if you want. Here is my problem...I took the prednisone today and it totally flares up my bladder. I am so dissapointed because how am I ever going to get better if my bladder can't tolerate anything? I feel a bit hopeless....anyone out there holding out for stem cell research? Hee-hee...just kidding...well not really....

Stacy

No longer active
    Just a thought, Stacy, but have you ever been tested for Lyme Disease? It affects the bladder plus joints and neurological functions. If you search for symptoms of Lyme you'll see the connections. I know several bladder patients who found out they also had Lyme - it weakens the immune system and you can be more susceptible.

Martha

Good point - Martha - although my Dr. is of the opinion that the Lyme came first, but that they are interlinked. Chin up, Stacy! Hang in there!
    Christina J. Werdebaugh, Director & Support Group Leader
    [B]West Virginia IC Support Center
    Phone: 304-692-9199
    [B]Email: cjes2000@hotmail.com

"When life knocks you to your knees--well, that's the best position in which to pray, isn't it?" Ethel Barrymore (1879-1959)

hi
    thought i'd add to this post

am trying prednisolone for a month and week 2 am flaring like mad- burning urethra, constant urgency, bladder pain...

before prednisolone my symptoms were low level and just low capacity and frequency...

i am on no other meds so can't attribute it to anything else..things have beeen going slowly downhil over the 2 weeks and now awful

but from what i have read, ic is meant to go into remission with prednisolone??? and is an ant inflammatory?

yet my capacity is nil at the moment!

any ideas????

others who have been on it??
    IC diagnosis: Aug 2005
    Symptoms: Urgency, urge and irritation and urethral symptoms
    Flareup for 1 year til July 2007 (had constant urge and pain et al....)

Elmiron 100mg 3x daily April 2006 - present
    Enablex 7.5mg nightly Sep 2007 -present
    Atarax, Elavil 10mg nightly (Dec 2007)
    Acupuncture - November 2007 - present

(Past meds for IC- Cystistat, Elavil 30mg, Ditropan, long term a/bs, Prednisolone, Cimetidine, Neurontin)

anyone?
    IC diagnosis: Aug 2005
    Symptoms: Urgency, urge and irritation and urethral symptoms
    Flareup for 1 year til July 2007 (had constant urge and pain et al....)

Elmiron 100mg 3x daily April 2006 - present
    Enablex 7.5mg nightly Sep 2007 -present
    Atarax, Elavil 10mg nightly (Dec 2007)
    Acupuncture - November 2007 - present

(Past meds for IC- Cystistat, Elavil 30mg, Ditropan, long term a/bs, Prednisolone, Cimetidine, Neurontin)

Prednisone

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I was prescribed Prednisone for something unrelated to IC and I found that my symptoms were about 90% better. I'm currently trying to get my urologist to prescribe it for me, otherwise I'm heading towards trying the interstim therapy.

Jessica

IC Friend

prednsone

I was taking predsone for my hands...did not work but shortly after hand surgery my bladder flared up mabe it was my weakend system and stress 5 weeks now..

ICN Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetangel2080 View Post
    hi
    thought i'd add to this post

am trying prednisolone for a month and week 2 am flaring like mad- burning urethra, constant urgency, bladder pain...

before prednisolone my symptoms were low level and just low capacity and frequency...

i am on no other meds so can't attribute it to anything else..things have beeen going slowly downhil over the 2 weeks and now awful

but from what i have read, ic is meant to go into remission with prednisolone??? and is an ant inflammatory?

yet my capacity is nil at the moment!

any ideas????

others who have been on it??
    Wow, I just started prednisolone this morning, and I'm a mess. I am having really bad frequency--but actually have a lot to urinate out! Perhaps this stuff is also a diuretic??

I felt it was worth a shot, since if this is autoimmune in nature, yes, the steroids are supposed to temper them.

But, we are all different. I bet a lot of us wish we weren't from time to time...this hit or miss stuff has me in tears today.

Wow. Do you know, I never thought about the connection! I have been doing really, really well with IC symptoms over the past two or three weeks. Then I had to do prednisone, just for one week we hope, because of a flare-up of arthritis in my knees and a couple of other places. The prednisone is helping the joints a lot. But, last night I was up with pain; I've had increased frequency, not terrible but at least once an hour -- and I just never even thought that the prednisone could be the trigger! Well, fortunately, this is Day 4 of 7. I'll try to remember to post after I finish the course of steroids, to let you guys know if my IC subsides again or not.

Thanks for the thought!
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

I just now saw this post three months after originally posted, but I too, have flared from prednisone my allergist prescribed for me when I got a case of "hives" or some other type of contact allergic reaction on my face.
    Sonja

Dx: Idiopathic Dilated Cardiomyopathy/Congestive Heart Failure-1997, Vulvar Vestibulitis-2006, IC-Feb 2007, Atrophic Vaginitis 08, Heavy Long and Painful Periods leading to Partial Hysterectomy-2007, Rectal Fissure-2007, Pelvic Floor Dysfuntion-2008, Post-Menopausal-2010

Meds: Coreg, Elmiron, Elestrin, Est/Test Topical Gel, Valium Suppositories, Lyrica, Dyrenium to counteract edema from Lyrica, Pain Meds.

IC Diet: Very diet sensitive, esp. to spices.

Anytime I am asked if I have am allergic to meds I put down prednisone. I was given a shot of this a few years ago. This is before I knew I had IC and it swelled me up down there. I also have VV but I had the worse reaction to this medicine.
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

wow - sooo glad I found this!!! I have IC and have 2 interstim boxes in my back which have really been helping my frequency and even my pain wich is so amazing (since they are not very reloiable for pain control). I also have Lupus. This past week I developed trouble breathing so they put me on a high dose of prednisone yesterday which has already cleared up my chest but I was soooo incredibly uncomfortable with low back pain and pain radiatig into my hips and legs. I have never had pain quite like this .. but also my frequency was super worse yesterday and all night. I need to breath so I don't now what to do!
    " If I really cared as I thought I did, about the sorrows of the world, I should not have been so overwhelmed when my own sorrow came." ~ CS Lewis

Prednisone made my bladder go spastic.

I am End Stage IC. Predisone helped me but I can't get my urologist to perscribe it. She said it would cause wieght gain and possible adrenal shut down. I'm already obese so its depressing she won't perscribe it.
    Sariah

[SIZE="1"]I pee (a teaspoon and drops) on average 60 times per day (still). Pelvic Floor Dysfunction (urinary retention due to a botched urological surgery) and chronic pelvic pain 40 years.

Thread Information