Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014

Stabbing pain in urethral and around vulva

Hi,

What do you guys do for stabbing/stitching pain in the urethral and around the vulva area? It feels like someone is stabbing a knife in it.
    It hurts when my bladder fills up...its like my urethra is pulling everything together and then when the pee comes out it s a sharp pain...during peeing my urin is hot but does not hurt too much. Then after peeing once i am dressed again..it starts stabbing..a really really sharp pain.
    What can i do against this?? I use lidocain gel sometimes. it helps for the outside for like an hour but then comes back.
    I really need your guys help. I thought i have an infection but i only haver higher leucocytes but no bacterial...

I am not on a Pain therapy yet. Will go to docs next week...do i have to start with the strong staff right away? Here in Germany almost everyone is on opiate/opium...that cant be the solution can it?

I use the water bottle which helps a bit. Its weird, from May 16th till 2 weeks ago i was sooo fine. On May 16th i started a estradiol creme and Calcium Citrate and suddenly i was fine. Then i had Oral Sex 1 day after a installation and boom i had feeling of a bad bladder infection which did not show any bacterials but higher leucos. Since then(2weeks) everything hurts sooo much down there!!!! Please help!!!!!

Anja

Sounds like you need a antispasms medicine.. But I am no dr so your best bet would be to call your dr and see what he suggest

Ronda
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Friend

pain around urethral and vulva area

Well, I find that heat helps alot!!! Plus pain medication. But the heat is the best, for me anyway.
    I just did this yesterday for the first time, and it really did relieve most of the pain.
    Connie

stabbing pain

It all just confuses me. I dont know if the pain is from the IC or Vulvodynia....why do i have both????? Dont you think one should be enough pain?
    I will have to ask for a medicine against spasm.....i will fly back to Germany(lived in england) on Saturday and see my doc a week later. Cant wait.

Does anyone have other suggestions????
    I use the heat too and it does help!!! But i cant walk as it hurts its like a sharp pain in my urethral and bladder....outch...

What painkillers ( strong ones) do you use????

only thing I use is Darvocets < for pain and Ulmar-t < spasms and of course all my other IC meds...
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I had similar pain and have found that the antidepressant Desipramine has helped kill a lot of my pain--it kills the nerve pain. I am presently on 50mg but the dr. upped it to 75mg. as of yesterday. Also, I find Azo for urinary infections numbs some of the pain. Heat or ice can help, too. I have a pain killer that I take as needed, but I do not take it on a regular basis because I am an addiction phobic!

ICN Member
    How old are you? I had pains like that and needed vaginal estrogen cream (Estrace) and now I don't have them anymore. I've been taking it for 2 months.

I get stabbing pains too. They can hit me out of nowhere. On Sunday I walked into the store and had to stop dead in my tracks and bring my leg up because it felt like my urethra was twisting. I *think* it's spasms but it's hard to tell. Have you tried Pyridium? I can't tell it if really helps me or not.
    The combo of things that brought me out of remission were artificial sweetners, liquid vitamins with citric acid, tight pants, lower body workouts and stopping all my allergy meds cold turkey during height of allergy season. I wish I knew back then what I know now about IC
    First IC symptoms Spring of 2000; In-office cystoscopy 2002 -negative; Remission until 2007 (yeah!!); Negative PST spring of 2007; IC diagnosed via Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention 7/24/07; Another In-office cystoscopy 4/9/10 with biopsy showed inflammation
    Treatments for my IC/PFD: Elmiron 400 mg per day; walking, Zyrtec, Claritin, Singulair, Neurontin 100 mg per day; Ice packs and laying down; About to try Cytotec
    Tried and Failed: Heat (always makes me worse!), Heparin instills -too painful for my urethra; Atarax (interfered with my quality of sleep first time, second time dried my bladder out; Elavil makes me sick, lidocaine patches (just plain don't work), Cystoprotek (only tried a couple months but didn't seem to do much), Aloe Vera caps, pelvic floor therapy, trigger point work flared me worse, Lyrica (bad stomach pain)
    Other Diagnoses: PFD 2009; Fibromyalgia 2006, Osteopenia 2012, GERD 2006, Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) Anxiety: Other medications: Ambien, Dexilant, Ibuprofren, Necon 1/35, Voltaren gel for tailbone
    BABY GIRL 10/28/08 *** BABY BOY 7/8/11

No longer active
    Consider seeing a physical therapist who specializes in the pelvic muscles. Often those of us with bladder pain hold our muscles tight (even unknowingly) and they get out of whack. A therapist can tell and can give you some stretches/exercises to loosen these muscles. As one explained to me, the nerves go through the muscles and send pain messages to the brain. We may think the pain is coming from one place and it is really another. In my case I was told the pirifomis muscle was the source of my problem, although I felt it was the urethra.

Martha F

thanks guys. i am glad not to be alone.
    Well i am only 29 years old. Its funny on May 16th i started Calcium citrate and estradiol creme. 2 days later i was painfree!!!!!! No stabbin. Oh yeah at the same day i also started the bottle with water in it after each urinating. That helps a lot!!! I was good for the last 2 months! It was sooooo gooooood!!!
    Anyway...i had a bladder installation tuesdays, oral sex wednesday and thursday the UTI started! I only had leucocytes but no bacterials. i took 2 different kinds of Antibiotic but none helped. It took 2 weeks to get a bit better. Its been better since the last weekend...but i still have burning and stabbing in my urethra..usually i can void 260ml but the last few days i had a horrible urge at already 150ml! And my urethral pulls together and cramps when my bladder is full! its a bad pain then in it...ahhhhh
    dont know what is going on...maybe it takes a awhile to get better?

Thread Information