Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: vesicare

ICN Member

vesicare

does anyone here take vesicare? If so, have you noticed increased constipation from taking it? I am at my wit's end with the incessant peeing. I managed a better day today, but I still went way over 20 times. No matter where I am, I am searching out a bathroom or thinking about one because I am so uncomfortable. I was given the vesicare by my uro, but since ditropan and detrol never worked for the urgency and made me constipated, I'm afraid that vesicare will do the same. Frankly, the IBS-C is horrible and I know that these two problems are related somehow. The bladder pressure is greatly relieved when I am regular, but still, the pressure and urine frequency are out of control. Anyone take vesicare with any semblance of success? And...what about the constipation issue? If it isn't one thing......!!!!!!!!

HI! Yep Vesicare caused constipation for me too. Have you tried Elavil for the urgency and frequency? It works great! I couldn't take Detrol or Ditropan because it caused retention. Hope you get it all figured out! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Angel watching over us born2swim's Avatar
    You know... none of the OAB meds helped me. In fact they gave me retention. In terms of the constipation... I know someone that has chronic constipation (not because of diet or activity or meds... just a genetic thing I guess). Her doctor gave her lactulose which as made a world of difference to her. I'd research that and see if that is a possibility for you. I don't know if it is contraindicated for IC or not... but you can always ask or research. Constipation is terrible. I've had it 5 times in my life (once where I needed to get a Fleet enema because it got compacted). That was torture. I hope you get relief!
    [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

ICN Member
    I have to find something to work for one or the other of these problems. I was trying to help my daughter move today and I wanted this to be such a fun time. We were supposed to shop for stuff together and get her apartment all set up, but I spent the day in the car going back and forth from home to her apt. (she was not with me in the car), just crying my eyes out because I feel so miserable between the frequency and the IBS-C. I am spiraling down and I don't know how to help myself. My husband mentioned a family vacation tonight at dinner and everyone was so enthusiastic, but I quietly left and went into the BR for my 4th pee during dinner and another cry. I have to wipe my eyes, fix my makeup and put on a smile before I see everyone again and the 'act' is doing me in. I must be OCD because all I can think about is potty issues! Not that my bladder will let me do anything else. I'm afraid that whatever meds I take for my bladder will constipate me and whatever I take for the constipation affects my bladder. No doctor seems to get the connection and my life is literally in the toilet. All of you on this list are wonderful and true lifesavers because no doctor gets how horrible this is. It is an existence, not a life.

I have had IBS since I was I was 19.......I'm 51 now. I too have had to use Fleet ememas too. Many dr.s told me I needed more fiber to end the constipation. I tried every over the counter and prescription......finally I listened to my dr. and tried prunes! They worked! I eat 4-6 prunes every morning with my breakfast and I don't have to take any meds for IBS now. It was amazing for me! You might try that if you haven't already. You have to eat them every day or you go back to the IBS problems. I have 2 friends now who eat their prunes every morning because they suffered for years too.
    As for the frequency.......you need Elavil. I used to know where every bathroom for every store was! It was awful! I was living bathroom to bathroom! That's no way to live life. Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Angel watching over us born2swim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nogo View Post
    I have to find something to work for one or the other of these problems. I was trying to help my daughter move today and I wanted this to be such a fun time. We were supposed to shop for stuff together and get her apartment all set up, but I spent the day in the car going back and forth from home to her apt. (she was not with me in the car), just crying my eyes out because I feel so miserable between the frequency and the IBS-C. I am spiraling down and I don't know how to help myself. My husband mentioned a family vacation tonight at dinner and everyone was so enthusiastic, but I quietly left and went into the BR for my 4th pee during dinner and another cry. I have to wipe my eyes, fix my makeup and put on a smile before I see everyone again and the 'act' is doing me in. I must be OCD because all I can think about is potty issues! Not that my bladder will let me do anything else. I'm afraid that whatever meds I take for my bladder will constipate me and whatever I take for the constipation affects my bladder. No doctor seems to get the connection and my life is literally in the toilet. All of you on this list are wonderful and true lifesavers because no doctor gets how horrible this is. It is an existence, not a life.
    First of all, you are not OCD because all you can think about is potty issues. It is not natural for the body to feel like it has to pee constantly or have a blockage in the intestine. Please, try to have faith that something will help your IBS and/or IC. Look into the Lactulose. I don't know much about it except for it being a accepted for long term use for chonric constipation sufferers. It has done amazing things for the person I mentioned. Don't give up. Keep trying. Communicate with your doctors. Research the meds you are on. Talk with your pharmacist. You will be able to find something to help you!
    [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

It is no fun, I agree. Some doctors do understand how horrible it is. Finding the right one is the challenge. They are out there. When life gets so oppressive, it's hard to think about anything but where the next restroom is, or how whether you'll make it there. There is a thread on here about vacations - but that might be running ahead of things for you.
    There are ways to cope with all the stuff that IC throws our way.
    It means taking some time to sit quietly and sort things through. Look at the things you can control.
    Can you anticipate times when you have a bathroom available?
    Can you think ahead to choose something that will allow you the least level of stress - like perhaps today maybe staying at the apartment and fixing up what other people bring to you. Then you have a bathroom right there and you don't need to be concerned about finding one or getting there on time. I know how it can be though. When my sister died I really hesitated to go to the cemetery. I couldn't see how I could make the drive all the way across the city - Baltimore from the North east side to the South west side - to bury her and then back again for the reception at the church. I was panicking over that. I decided not to go in the limo, but to go in a private car and luckily - since it was so cold (January), my nephew had to stop - we ended up stopping at a grocery store and 3 of us actually ran out of the car and lined up outside of the fish department to wait for the bathroom.
    I have been going to a psychologist who specializes in stress management. That has been one of the biggest helps to me.
    I think that the stress of the disease makes it even worse. I know where all the bathrooms are in any of the chain stores, gas stations and rest stops - and I know which ones are clean and which ones to avoid. That gives me a level of comfort when travelling, shopping or being out and about.
    Deep breathing is another thing that both the psych and the physical therapist have recommended. Breathe deeply through your nose - but breathe into your belly - don't raise your shoulders - make your belly rise. Then let it out slowly. Do that several times - my psych says for 5 minutes - I haven't been able to do it for that long. I get tired. But it does work. It helps me center myself and get perspective on things.
    Don't let this disease define you. I am a control freak - so I will fight with IC until I get it where I want it.
    I'm rambling, but I my major message is that relaxation and quieting our minds helps to put the disease and our lives in the right place so that we can live and love in the way we so desire.

Vesicare was not good for me because I stay constipated. Also, I have adhesions from endo. I got horrible abdominal pains. -V
    Blessings and Hope

Current Meds.
    OFF MY MEDS
    Vivelle Dot: .10 changed every 72 hours
    Compoounded Progesterone 25mg/night

Current Supplements
    Hydroeye: 2 pills AM

Diagnosed
    1995: Endometriosis
    1998: Interstitial Cystitis
    2006: Bladder Endometriosis, Total Hysterectomy and Bowel Re-Section
    2008: Removal of Ovarian Remnant and Endometrial Cyst That was Obstructing Ureter
    2012: Laparoscopic Removal of Adhesions and Staples

ICN Member
    thank you for all your suggestions. I was up 7 times in the night to go pee and I have not been able to stop crying. I can't believe I am STILL waking up to pee with ambien and 2 mg. of xanax on board. The Xanax was originally prescribed for the spastic bladder and the ambien is to help me sleep since I have developed horrible insomnia through all this. I am fighting hard to get myself and this problem under control, but it is wearing me down. The short trips back and forth to anywhere are a nightmare because even though I know where the bathrooms are, I am in agony driving to get to them and can't wait to burst in there and go, only to find that the minute I get back to the car, I have to go again! It's a sort of chinese water torture. I'm calling my nephrologist today to beg for help.

Hutto, Texas (30 miles or so outside of Austin)
    I take Vesicare, and yes, it does make me a little constipated, BUT, since I have IBS-D, it evens it out. Vesicare does help however with the urgency/frequency. I used to go all the time during the day and up to 6 times a night- which wasn't doing any good for me since I work full time. Now I get up and go once or twice a night. All the other medications that I tried didn't help me, so since I'm having success with this I'll stay on it.

I took Ambien once after I had to have shoulder surgery. It really threw my bladder into flare. You might try going without it for a few days and see if things are better. Elavil and Hydroxyzine help me sleep. Otherwise, Elavil and Ativan. I had terrible nocturia. It is much better now. Elmiron also seems to really help at night. Unfortunately, I had to stop using it as my hair was falling out so badly while I was on it. -Vicki
    Blessings and Hope

Current Meds.
    OFF MY MEDS
    Vivelle Dot: .10 changed every 72 hours
    Compoounded Progesterone 25mg/night

Current Supplements
    Hydroeye: 2 pills AM

Diagnosed
    1995: Endometriosis
    1998: Interstitial Cystitis
    2006: Bladder Endometriosis, Total Hysterectomy and Bowel Re-Section
    2008: Removal of Ovarian Remnant and Endometrial Cyst That was Obstructing Ureter
    2012: Laparoscopic Removal of Adhesions and Staples

Hang in there, nogo

Dear nogo,

I think we're on the same page - I also have IBS-C issues and the trips to the bathroom for my now semi-confirmed IC are driving me nuts. I use Michael Mahoney's IBS hypnotherapy CDs and they're sometimes the only time in the day I can somewhat relax. I also felt a little better the day I saw my acupuncturist.

I am not sure how yet, but we need to try and get through this. Elavil is not an option for me as I am already on 50mg nortryptiline and still run to the bathroom all the time. It sounds from other people's stories like they have been where we are (or even worse) and have found a way back to a fairly normal life. I try to remember that when I get hopeless.

-- Jamie

Ps

Also, I would give Azo a shot as a short-term remedy.

Make sure none of your IBS meds contain problematic items for the IC (I stopped taking Equalactin because of the citric acid and replaced it with Miralax; also replaced Citrucel with Acacia Tummy Fiber).

ICN Member
    jamie, I have just started Michael Mahoney's tapes as I am absoutely desperate. I don't see any hope or help out there and this is so unlike me. I have never, ever felt this hopeless, anxious and miserable before. I just saw the post about ambien and I may try to do without that. But, I have been on Ambien for over a year and this bladder issue is new. Still, I will try anything. I don't have Elavil, but I was prescribed Xanax for the bladder as I mentioned above and I have tried several times to cut down the dose and get off of it because I hate taking drugs like that, but each time I have had bad bladder issues, so I have had to go back up to the usual dose. Now, even that isn't doing anything. I am leaving to see my Nephrologist in a few minutes and I will ask him about Elavil and ambien. Thank you all for your support.. I will let you know what the Nephrologist says today.

ICN Member
    one more thing.......does the miralax aggravate your bladder at all? I find the hyper activity in my bowels (though no relief from the constipation), really upsets my bladder. How much miralax do you take? And when?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information