Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News

Why do my teeth keep breaking?!?!

I'm going nuts here!!! Monday I was eating and felt something in my teeth, felt like a piece of popcorn, but I hadn't had popcorn lately, and when I pulled it out it was a piece of my tooth!!!! Doesn't hurt yet. Just a little tender when I really chew on it. So this morning I'm thinking I'll chew some gum on the other side. Took one bite and CRACK a big chunk of another tooth came out!!! I've always had bad teeth, I tell my mom its because I'm a crack baby -If you knew her you'd understand-she's the most prim and proper gal in the world-very uncracked out, but it riles her up so I get a good laugh at telling her that
    I just don't know what to do. They're on opposite sides, so now I'm going to have to make at least two appointments and probably have the one crowned Why is it just when things are starting to look good and you can start socking some extra $ away something like this happens!!!! Guess I'm going to be eating pudding for a while!

I'm the type of person that clenches my jaw when I'm stressed (as if having IC and IBS on top of everyday life issues is stressful!). Even though I'm conscious of this and try hard to stop when I notice it happening, it does affect my teeth. Last year my dentist noticed at a regular cleaning that one of my teeth was starting to crack and would soon break on it's own. So that had to have a crown - but at least it didn't break and cause pain.

Hopefully you can find the cause of your problem so you don't break any more teeth!

ICN Member
    Hi.
    I am sorry to hear about your cracked tooth OUCH! I know all about teeth problems. I had my wisdom teeth taken out last Feburary of 2006, and OMG, I had awful complications afterwards and still do today. It cause me nerve pain in all my teeth that I still have today over a year later. I also had severe dry socket after having them pulled, and I did everything that he told me to do( no drinking out of straws etc), but still got it. I had it for over three weeks. I dont know if you ever had dry socket before, but that is the worst type of pain I ever had, until Now of course with this IC, that has it beat all to heck as far as pain is concerned. The dry socket would be a dream compared to this IC in my opinion. I hope if you need a crown, it all goes well.
    Jen

meme
    the first thing that comes to mind is calcium/vitamin d definceny (sp) Try having some extra tums. I don't think the tums will hurt you so even if that isn't the problem they could help your ic and your bones!

Erika
    IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
    Interstim Since 5/25/07!
    Birth Control

I had the greatest teeth til I weaned my 3rd baby. I blame it on breastfeeding, but it's probably my own body and I don't have enough calcium, or something. At least I can give my kids a hard time about it anyway...makes it be something to laugh at even though it's REALLY not funny. My teeth break and I've had more root canals, crowns, etc, than I can count. I've got a referral to an oral surgeon that my GP is making for me because it's gotten way out of hand. I'm actually losing teeth and it can't keep on. I don't know what this guy is going to do for me, either yank them all out and give me beautiful implants, or it's going to be the denture route for me. I'm only 43, too young for this mess, but I have no choice at the moment.

I'd get your mouth looked at now, while you're still young enough and before you have more trouble. See if they can find the reason they're breaking before it gets out of hand like mine are.
    *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
    *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
    *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

When I was young, I chewed ice. My dentists tell me that is why my teeth have small crackes in them. I have had two break so far. I pay attention when I am chewing and try not to bite down hard on things.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Friend
    I never even had a cavity until I was 44 years old. All the meds I take for my IC pain cause severe dry mouth(I use Oasis) and my dentist said that was excessively hard on the teeth b/c there is no saliva to wash away the bacteria. That and my use of Actiq has really taken a toll on my teeth. Now my dentist wants me to come in every 3 months for an exam b/c I can look fine today, go back in 3 months and have cavities. Had an exam last September & all was fine. Went back yesterday and found that I had 7 cavities and needed 2 crowns. Shocker!

I too cracked a back molar while eating a tortilla chip. It had a cavity in it that I didn't know about. Luckily I escaped having to see the endodontist and only had to have the crown.

Meme.. I know you are off the Elavil right now but, I have heard that it can cause you to have bad teeth, due to dry mouth..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

I have had this same problem too...I have five cracked and broken teeth and my bottom four front teeth are starting to decay. I went to a dentist and right off the bat, by just talking to me, she asked me if I had GERD. I said yes and she told me this was my problem. Acid. She gave me a special toothpast to use on them, but I don't know if it is actually helping.

AnnieMac

Leah,
    My teeth are the same way. I have had atleast 5 pulled. At this moment I have 5 busted teeth and to of them at gum line. There is no way possible to take care of them right now, I have to have a complete upper plate. Whats not cracked, busted or missing has a cavity.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

ICN Member

Bad teeth

I too have bad teeth. I have had 4 root canals this year. I am getting two more next week. I am actually getting them in teeth that already had root canals. One developed an infection and the other one never took. I think they left the fourth canal. To many of us have bad teeth. There has to be some sort of connection.

12 cracked teeth and 6 porcelin veneers for me. In 3 years. Had beautiful healthy teeth prior to this IC mess.
    With Lots of Love and Wishes for Pain Free Days~Heather

~I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis at the age of 23, 4 months after getting married. I also have severe Endometriosis, Adhesion Disease and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. All of which were diagnosed AFTER being diagnosed with IC. Before IC my only health issues were a history of migraines since I was a child and a battle with cervical dysplasia. I had a LEEP in 2007 and have been clear of the cancerous cells since.~

~Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions, concerns or comments. Or if you just need a friend, someone to listen. I am almost always lurking around online somewhere. LOL~

Wherever the wind blows us as we love to travel! Originally from the Dayton, Ohio area. We now call Georgetown, TX home.
    Two crowns replaced and a root canal just this year for me. Dry mouth has been deadly to my teeth. I use Biotene products for dry mouth and daily use a prescription toothpaste designed for those with dry mouth. Even with the utmost precautions, the problems are continuing for me. Grrrr!!!!!!!!!
    Annie

IC
    Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Smile

Yeah, definitely a lot of drugs out there can discolor your teeth and even make them weak and brittle. I agree with the dry mouth thing....my dentist was telling me to either brush my teeth with biotene or rise with water regularly to keep the saliva from getting all thick and ropey...which could result in cavities because the saliva wouldn't be there to keep food and tartar from building up....I used the gum instead...Biotene makes products to help restore *wetness* to you mouth, they even have artificial saliva....again I used the gum, it was easier to carry around.
    Somewhere there's a reason /Why things go like they do /Somewhere there's a reason /Why some things just fall through /We don't always see them /For what they really are /But I know there's a reason /Just can't see it from this far /Maybe I don't like it, /But I have no choice /I know that somewhere, /Someone hears my voice / I thought I knew it all /I thought I had it made /How could it end this way? /I thought I knew Somewhere there's a reason /Why things don't go my way /Somewhere there's a reason /That I cannot explain /Just like the change of season, /Just may not be my turn /But I know there's a reason, /The lesson's mine to learn

I never even had a cavity until after I had my 2nd child! I have bad teeth now as well. I blame it on my 2nd child and being anemic. I used to be very anemic and crunched ice almost constantly! Drove my hubby crazy. I had 4 root canals due to the broken teeth. I make sure that I take my iron EVERY day and I have seen a huge difference in my ice crunching. Of course the damage is done, but I am very careful about what I eat. I have a few teeth that need work on now, but I hate the dentist (isn't that stupid with all we go through??). My dentist that I grew up going to retired, so a youngster took his place. I just don't like the new one! Plus he fusses at me when the other denist knew my history, so he was more understanding about my meds and what I was going through.

I haven't thought about Tums. I may try that since I absolutely hate milk! Thanks for that pointer Erika!

My front 2 teeth are veneers, but that is from when I was a kid and hit my teeth on the monkey bars. I have to be very careful with them!

Thread Information