Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

WBC and Blood in urine, but no bacteria

I'm new to this board. A friend had suggested that I check our this website because she knows that I am at my wits end with what the doctors are saying is the never ending UTI (presence of white blood cells and blood) even though I have no bacteria in my urine. It all started in the end of December and I took one round of antibiotics. The symptoms persisted so the doctor ran a urine culture and found white blood cells and blood in my urine, but no bacteria. I saw the doctor two days after I had finished the first course of antibiotics so she said that was probably the reason for the lack of bacteria in the culture and put me on cipro for three days. I ended up back at the doctors again two weeks later because I was still having some symptoms and I developed a skin infection at the site of my belly button ring. I have had the piercing for over 7 years and I had never had an infection or issue with it and all of a sudden it was spilling puss. I was put on a 7 day course of antibiotics that I finished last Friday morning. At that point the only symptoms that I was having was a burning sensation after I urinate first thing in the morning. The burning/discomfort generally last for about an hour or two and then I am fine until the next morning.

This past week was actually a good week, the discomfort was very minor in the beginning of the week and non-existent by Thursday. I went to the doctors on Friday morning for a follow up culture and it came back that there was still white blood cells and blood in my urine so I am now on 500 mg of Cipro two times a day for 7 days. I asked about possible contamination issues and the doctor said not with these numbers and she would be shocked if no bacteria was found. Normal WBC numbers are 0-5 and mine was 247 and normal red blood cells is 0-2 and I came back with 9. As usual there was no bacteria found in the culture. I am getting to my wits end Is there is a chance that this could be IC ? At this point I would just like to get some answers. I made an appointment with a Urogynocologist and will be seen in March. I was tested for STDs and everything has come back clean.

Thanks!
    Amy

Sorry this was so long! I wanted to try and get all of the information in there. I should add that I am not have any urgency issues and I don't feel like my bladder isn't empty. Generally when I go I have a decent amount of urine comes out (not like with a UTI where its a couple of drops) and expect for first thing in the morning there is no burning or discomfort.

Thanks!!

Hmmm... this could be IC, but I'm not a doctor.

I do think you should ask for a referral to a urologist though. Obviously, something is going on if your WBC/RBC counts are that high, and the urologist will be able to do some testing to see what's up in there.

to the ICN!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member

Blood and White cells

If you had red cells in the urine say even 9 in the field, with few or no white blood cells, I sure would be suspicious of IC. A white cell count that high makes me wonder about something else going on. I agree with Jen, if it were me I would want a urology work up, something isnt right.
    Sammi

I had WBC and blood in my urine for over 8 years off and on before someone diagnosed me with IC. I was on antibiotics on & off constantly. If you feel that your doctor is being thorough, get a second opinion. High usage of antibiotics is not good for anyone. As a result of my usage, I have developed allergies and there are hardly any that I can take. Good luck, I hope you get some answers soon!!!!

~~Heidi~~
    My issues:
    Adenomyosis -Diagnosed 2010
    Fibromyalgia - Diagnosed 2009
    IBS - Diagnosed 2007
    IC - Diagnosed 2003
    Endo - Diagnosed 1998
    Cystic Acne
    Migraines

My meds:
    Elmiron orally 100 mg 2x per day
    Effexor 75mg 1x perday
    Welburtin 150 mg 1x per day
    Maxalt (as needed for migraines)
    birth control pills

IC Friend

positive WBC test

Hi all,

Whenever I am in a flare (like right now) I take an over the counter urine test to see if I have an infection. The strange thing is it always comes out positive for the WBC count, and usually negative for the nitrates.

I have been diagnosed with I.C. but sometimes I wonder if something else is going on, or maybe everyone with I.C. has a high WBC count.

Please let me know if anyone else experiences the high WBC.

Thanks,
    Shantaba

HI Shantaba,

What OTC do you use? I went to the pharmacy and could not find any urine test kits for use at home. And the young guy tried to tell me it is by Rx only. Which I know is not true because I have read so many posts about doing it at home. I just don't know what brand I'm looking for.

~~Heidi~~
    My issues:
    Adenomyosis -Diagnosed 2010
    Fibromyalgia - Diagnosed 2009
    IBS - Diagnosed 2007
    IC - Diagnosed 2003
    Endo - Diagnosed 1998
    Cystic Acne
    Migraines

My meds:
    Elmiron orally 100 mg 2x per day
    Effexor 75mg 1x perday
    Welburtin 150 mg 1x per day
    Maxalt (as needed for migraines)
    birth control pills

IC Friend

Testing Strips

Hi babygirl,

I use AZO Test strips. We can get them here in Ca. at RiteAid. They test for WBC and nitrates.

Shantaba

ICN Member

Post your question in the antibiotic section of the ICN

Regular urine cultures are best at picking up on e.coli. If you have something other than e.coli chances are it won't show up. Or even if it does show up some doctors dismiss the bacteria as a contaminant or say it's not in high enough level to cause symptoms. You could do a broth culture test through United Medical lab. You might get more of a response to your question in the Antibiotic forum. Scroll down and you'll see it.

Even if the test shows no bacteria I wouldn't necessarily take that as truth. Also the tests for STDs aren't that great. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this but standard testing for STDs is kind of like the regular urine culture it misses a bunch of stuff. These tests are definitely not perfect.

-pj

Hello!
    I think the ICN shop sells UTI Test strips. I got a box of 5 strips for about 10 bucks. I think it was at the shop.

Kennedy

HI My cultures always come back that I don't have a UTI but my Urosurgeon who specializes in IC puts me on 3 days of Cipro 500 mg. and that gets me thru the pain.
    Aetna insurance is fighting the idea that IC patients should be given an antibiotic when the tests doesn't show a uti......they are going to reeveluate the whole thing in Oct......hopefully they'll see Cipro does work for a lot of people wtih IC. Good luck! Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
    Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
    Dx'd Hypothyroid
    Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
    June 2007
    Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
    First Cysto 1979
    First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
    Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
    Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
    Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
    Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
    Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
    Bladder surgery 2000
    Dx'd: IBS 2000
    Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
    Laminectomy 1989
    Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
    I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

IC Friend

cipro

Hi Roxie,

I know it seems weird, but cipro does seem to help me too, a little with a flare. I know taking too many antibiodics are bad, but sometimes they ease the pain. My urologist said maybe they help bring down the inflamation.

Sometimes I wonder if bacteria does play some kind of role in this. Maybe when the bladder is all inflamed it gives bacteria the opportunity to settle in.

Take care,

Shantaba

Registered User MyDaughterHasIC's Avatar
    heather has increased white blood cells her urine without bacteria for four years... duh to all the doctors who blew her off.. i'm still so angry..:woohoo:
    Forget the potholes in the road, enjoy the journey
    Heather was dx feb 1 2007
    My daughter's med's
    elmiron 100mg 3'xs a day
    lexapro 5mg
    atarax 10mg
    prelief two tablets before bed, PRN
    multi vitamin

http://mydaughterhasic.blogspot.com/

Smile Roxy....

Roxy,

Could you recommend a good Urologist in our area? I think you and I are from the same city and I"m trying to find a new Doc.........

Feel free to send me a PM me with any information you feel could help.

Thanks
    Diagnosed with IBS in 2001 after colonoscopy
    Undiagnosed IC
    Symptoms started 04/06 and have been off and on
    Diagnosed with frequent UTI's, but still trying to figure out if that's accurate.

Current medications:

Urised, 2 tablets four times a day as needed
    Effexor, 75 mg a day
    Ambien, 12.5 mg at night as needed
    Multi-vitamin as a daily supplement

ICN Member
    Hi can you tell me more about the MSM gel?

Thread Information