Latest Blog Article: Vaginal Mesh Sling Complications and IC?
    ICN Member

One more baking soda question - can you take

too much? I don't have high blood pressure but are there any other consequences to taking say, 1 spoon full a day? I'm loving the results - since I started taking it daily a few days ago - the miserable urethral burning is totally gone. I feel like a new person.

ICN Member
    I live in a van and a shop between Canada and Texas.

side effect? for sure bad things with too much

Hello! For sure you can take too much baking soda.
    It is BASIC (which is one of the reasons it is giving you relief!) and your stomach and other organs in your digestive tract use ACID solutions for many important processes. I am not a chemist, but I am a trained "holistic nutritionist" (Two year diploma)

Just a for instance ... your stomach uses PH levels (acid/base)to determine when to drop your stomach contents into your small intestine. You eat food. It drops into the hydrochloric acid in your stomach and gets processed there for a while. When the PH becomes more basic your sphincter opens and all the contents fall into your intestine. SO if you put baking soda in there you may start sending unprocessed food stuffs into your mall intestine. That means unkilled bacterias and viruses and other ameba liike things in the food we eat. And the food may not be broken down enough for you to process it properly: meaning reduced nutrition for food eaten = hunger and weight gain. And alos your small intestine IS NOT really built to handle SOLID foodstuffs. Now and then our bodies can handle things if we are healthy but not longterm overandoveragain.

There are many other systems that cascade down from this. Too much baking soda can also increase calcium leechage out of your bones over time. (but then again so can too much red meat and soda pop!)

So do I think that a teaspoon/day is too much? No, not for a little while. But you should not plan to do this long term at all. Make sure you are using the non-aluminum kind of baking soda as well. No need to toxify yourself while you're at it!! Try weening yourself down to the tiniest amount that can make a diffrence! ALSO ...

if you drink tap water that is chlorinated ... leave your drinking water out the night before so that the chlorine can outgas. Sometimes that really helps with the urethral burning. Oh, how it can hurt!

I use baking soda regularly. If I am in a flare I will put a "pinch" (probably 1/4 teaspoon) in every 1L waterbottle I drink. And I usually will do that for five or six days straight, until things start to tone down. And if I MUST have coffee I will put a pinch of baking soda into a 3/4 cup.

Hoping today is a good day for you! Smiles and namaste. siriuspsyclist

ICN Member
    Thank you very much for the informative reply. I suspected it might be "too good to be true" to be on it forever -even when feeling ok - just as an "insurance policy."

I will have to try to dicipher what the smallest amount I can take to still get the anti-burn effect.
    Thanks again!!!

ICN Member

Two Cents

I would just like to add to the posters excellent post on digestion that when the urine is too alkaline, bacteria breeds in it and causes infection. I would not want to see my urine over 6.
    Sammi

Hi
    Don't use Baking Soda too often if you have hight blood pressure..
    ~~Pam
    God brought me to it, He will bring me through it!!!

Diagnosed 2003
    by cysto/hydro
    Elmiron took almost a year- made me sick, caused diarrhea
    Pyridium -Made me sick
    Detrol and Ditropan- caused constipation
    Trying DMSO instill- had 5 out of 6
    Started Oxytrol Patch- no side affects so far --Jan 2011
    stopped using them after 3 months-- skin was getting irritated
    Cysto/hydro April 6ht 2011-- on expansion only hold one cup
    IBS/ IC
    High blood pressure meds and Crestor
    Sinequan

You might try Tums instead. My doctor suggested it for me for the calcium and it also helps with IC symptoms.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Thread Information