Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial Seeks Women with Moderate To Severe Bladder Pain

Question about Social Security Disability

Hi:

Right now, my IC, the pain, the continuous doctor's appointments makes it virtually impossible to work everyday and to keep a steady job. I was wondering if anyone knows who to contact or if IC and Chronic Pain qualify you for drawing a disability check? Is it a diagnosis that does?

Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

God Bless!
    April

You CAN qualify with IC, but it's not cut and dried. You have to prove your particular case is so severe you can't work at all.

If you are working, you have to stop before you apply for SSDI. And then the process takes a long time, sometimes years. There's a whole section of this forum dedicated solely to Social Security issues, so you might want to spend some time there.
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Just another question

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for your response. What if you ARE working (I work for a temporary agency as a substitute teacher), but have to constantly call in sick for flares, doctor's appts., etc.? If I were to work anywhere else besides a temporary agency, I feel I would have already been fired because of the multitude of absences I have had.

I don't even make but about $400 a month most months and that is not enough to support myself. Luckily, my husband makes good enough that we don't really have to worry, but it would be nice to have steady income from my side.

At this point, my IC is so debilitating that I have to take pain meds to school (Kelly knows about it), sit on a pillow and use ice and/or heat packs every hour. I also get epidural blocks for pain management and those require one to two days off at a time, plus the Urologist, Primary Care, Rheumatologist, etc. They are still testing for some auto-immune disorders because IC goes along with a lot of them.

Would making a visit to my local Social Security Office WITH all my medical records be the thing to do to try to apply and ask all these questions?

There is one that is really close to us. And, I worked for ten years before being afflicted with this and other diseases. I have debilitating migraines, IC, chronic kidney problems (but not renal failure), high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, history of a blood clot, chronic pain/chronic fatigue syndrome...and the list goes on.

Thank you!

You will need the support of your physician to qualify --- I suggest you talk with him/her at your next appointment.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Social Security Information

April

There is a process for applying. Like Donna said, it does require one major thing. A physician to help you qualify. You may need to have the diagnosis of each condition (or the condtion that disables you the most) from the doctor and he fills out paper work for you that explains the disabling nature of your conditions. A Primary or General Practioner is a nice place to start looking. The ICN has a board dedicated to social security questions and concerns. If you haven't checked it out here it is: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=114

The ICN Patient Handbook has a section called "Living with IC - Disability" There is a lot of helpful information there. http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/index.html

Maybe you could call the Social Security Office first and then see about an appointment to visit with someone there for information. Sometimes if you are too sick to drive there, they will call you over the phone.

I am sorry to hear about your history with all of your conditions. There are lots of people on the ICN who can help support you through this tough time. Many of us have other diseases and conditions as well as IC. You are not alone.

Kara
    Complex Case: Severe IC 1999, Interstim 2001, Endometriosis 2001, End Stage Refractory IC 2002, Bladder Removal (Cystectomy) 2002, Gall Bladder Removal 2005, Infertility 2003, Urethra Removal, Bladder Reconstruction (Urethrectomy/Indiana Pouch) 2006, Celiac Disease 2007, Adhesion Disease 2007, Pudendal Nerve Entrapment, Ovarian Cysts, Vestibulitis, Vulvodynia, Total Vestibulectomy and removal of both Skene's Glands, 2007 and Coccydynia 2007. Fibromyalgia and, Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome both in my neck and knees, 2007, PNE Decompression Operation May, 2009.Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Anesthesia Awareness (to awaken during operations)Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery, Revrse Uterine Sling, Sept. 2011

"One hour at a time, this was NOT my American Dream but it has to work out somehow."

I also have some journals of my journeys, past and some present at:
    http://karasnewblog2008.blogspot.com/ and http://icnkaralynn.blogspot.com/

Most of my Journaling now is currently on Facebook. These are old and my ICN Patient story is very old and outdated.

April -- First off, everyone else is correct, you do need your doctor's records at a minimum, and your chances are much better if your doctor supports your decision and is willing to write a letter stating that you are unable to work. The SS application process is long and tedious, but you can find a lot of information on their website: http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

My sister is a disability lawyer, and I checked with her, and she said you absolutely cannot be working when you apply (well, it's an automatic denial) because is you are working, that is proof positive that you are not too sick to work But their might be an exception if you are making so little money. I don't know, but I think you should spend time on the website first, before you go into the local office, because that way you'll be somewhat informed ahead of time.

Sorry I don't have all the answers! I hope it works out for you.
    Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
    Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Thanks

Thank you for your response Carolyn. I am working SO little that I am making SO little money. Financially, it's about to get harder because my student loans are coming due and we can't make those payments. I just qualified for a temporary deferment based on medical reasons, but it's only temporary. So, I just thought of trying this.

My issue with doing this is that I WANT to work, but all the pain, ER and Doctor's visits make it next to impossible. I am always having to cancel an assignment with the temporary agency and they have been a god send to me as far as trying to work a little. The most I have ever made in one month was $250. One can't live on that. If I wasn't married, I would be on welfare, seriously. Anyway, thanks for the information. I am seeing my doctor to see if he supports disability claims soon.

God Bless!

Thread Information