Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    ICN Member

Does anyone have a problem with alcohol?

Does anyone have a problem with alcohol or is it just me? Alcohol really aggravates my bladder. If I was to ever get drunk on alcohol my bladder would pay for days. My IC symptoms started after my freshman year of college. I first noticed symptoms of IC one morning after a heavy night of drinking. Im still wonder if IC was caused by alcohol or did the alcohol just make the bladder problem show up since the protective layers were already getting damaged?
    Either way my question is: Have any of you found an alcoholic beverage that doesnt bother you. I have tried diff. beers, wines, and liqours. All seem to hurt me if I have more than 1 glass/serving. I would just like to go out with friends and have a few drinks without just sitting their. Im still somewhat young and my friends are still into going out to a bar and drinking when we get together.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Please send all private messages to 5star@mchsi.com. I do not check my ICN mailbox much.
    Symptoms:
    24/7 Bladder Pain, Mild Urgency and Frequency. Always tired and fatigued. Trouble sleeping due to bladder pain and trips to bathroom.
    Allergies/Sensitivities:
    Alcohol(big time!), Soft drinks. Foods dont bother me.
    Current Supplements: None presently
    Conventional medications!!!!!: Nuerontin, Hydroxyzine, Elmiron, Tramadol
    Tried many other medications... will list later

Alcohol for me would like be pouring gasoline on my bladder.Also chinese food and chili.. hope this help's Happy Neew Year..

Most ICers have a problem with most alcoholic beverages.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

alcohol

I've been scared to try alcohol for years until I seen someone post on here they had vodka with Godiva white choc liquorer over ice. I tried one. It was very good and it did not bother my bladder. I took 2 prelief and just sipped on it.
    Pam

I gave up alcohol. If it was a special occassion and I wanted a sip of something for a toast, I would probably take some prelief first and just limit myself to a sip. It isn't worth the pain in my opinion.

~~Heidi~~
    My issues:
    Adenomyosis -Diagnosed 2010
    Fibromyalgia - Diagnosed 2009
    IBS - Diagnosed 2007
    IC - Diagnosed 2003
    Endo - Diagnosed 1998
    Cystic Acne
    Migraines

My meds:
    Elmiron orally 100 mg 2x per day
    Effexor 75mg 1x perday
    Welburtin 150 mg 1x per day
    Maxalt (as needed for migraines)
    birth control pills

I also got ic after a heavy night of drinking along with strange different things going on with my body like digestion. did you? no alchohol ever for me again.
    not yet dx with ic-diagnosing myself as of aug 2006
    diagnosed ic-october 5 2006(huh just what I thought)

Charcoal
    cod liver oil (for vitamins a and d)
    bladder is not getting worse but maybe better
    diagnosed ibs-september 27, 2006
    don't know if it's ibs or some other underlining condition. hair loss, weight loss, constipation
    all this even though I eat.
    Mercury toxicity with Candida Albicans
    Realy toxic and sick
    Dental almagams removal and chelation for heavy metal toxins and candida cleansing as soon as fillings are out
    had catscan, ultrasound, colonoscopy
    Matthew 21 verse 22: jesus quotes"and all the things you ask in prayer, having faith, you will receive."

I eat to live, not live to eat.

ICN Member
    I have had IC for 3 years--it wasn't until a year or so after elmiron that I can now tolerate vodka ( I drink vanilla flavored), or coconut rum (malibu). I mix them with a splash of low acid O.J. I'm afraid to try wine, but limiting myself to one or two of the drinks mentioned doesn't bother my bladder. Liz

Rum, gin and vodka are on the "May be ok" list. The problem is, what do you mix with them?

At a holiday party, I had 2 rum and diet cokes with lots of ice. I took ph control to help with the acid (prelief does nothing for me) and I was okay. A week later, my 2 glasses of champagne on New Year's just about killed me. I am still paying for those.

The holidays are the only time I drink alcohol, so I guess I don't have to worry about it again until next year.

Alcohol doesn't give me any pain, I usually drink Everclear(190). I'll have a lot of frequency while I'm drinking, but the next day I can't even tell I drank, even with mixing it with OJ or soda, which otherwise is a big NO-NO for me. Only thing I can come up with is that the alcohol is killing everything else bad in my bladder. Can't explain it. Guess I'm lucky, I think I'm the only one.

Alcohol doesnt bother me either, other than a bit of increased frequency. I had a bottle of champagne New Years eve, and tonite enjoyed a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau w/o any trouble.

I guess experimenting is going to be the only way to find out if and what you can tolerate.

take care
    diana

ICN Member

alcohol

it depends on what kind of alcohol I am drinking. Red wine (my fav) will give me a big flare. I can drink liquers ,brandy,vodka,rum,etc and have no problem as long as I do not mix them with any acidic mixers including pop. I very rarely drink however, because I am a wine lover. so if I can't have my wine I would rather go without!
    Eva

My bladder can tolerate wine. Well not red wine... but any white wine or blush wine is okay. I love my wine and am happy I can tolerate it!
    ***Rachel***

Dance like no one is watching
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Live today like it's your last

Dxd with IC in June '06

ICN Member

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did try some of the vanilla vodka and it didnt bother me. I sipped probably about 2 shots worth to see what it would do and unbelievably it didnt hurt. I know if I had a beer though I would be in a lot of pain.
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Please send all private messages to 5star@mchsi.com. I do not check my ICN mailbox much.
    Symptoms:
    24/7 Bladder Pain, Mild Urgency and Frequency. Always tired and fatigued. Trouble sleeping due to bladder pain and trips to bathroom.
    Allergies/Sensitivities:
    Alcohol(big time!), Soft drinks. Foods dont bother me.
    Current Supplements: None presently
    Conventional medications!!!!!: Nuerontin, Hydroxyzine, Elmiron, Tramadol
    Tried many other medications... will list later

ICN Member
    Since alcohol is such a "no no" diet-wise I wonder if those of us that seem to handle it well fall into the PFD category than IC as they have so many overlapping symptoms.

ICN Member
    I drink the vanilla vodka with water. :woohoo:

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information