Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #17 - Millions of Men Struggle With IC Too

Any Chicken Broth Without Onion/powder?

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TRADER JOE'S JUST DISCONTINED THEIR CHICKEN BROTH IN THE GREEN CAN (JUST CHICKEN, SALT, & WATER). I CAN'T TOLERATE ANY OTHER BROTHS BECAUSE ALL OF THE OTHER ONES I'VE FOUND HAVE ONION POWDER IN THEM.

ANYONE KNOW OF ANOTHER BRAND OF CHICKEN BROTH WITH JUST CHICKEN, SALT & WATER?

I WOULD REALLY HATE TO HAVE TO BOIL MY OWN CHICKEN EVERY TIME I NEED BROTH. GRRRRRRR.
    (at least I don't have to kill it & pluck it, but I'm still frustrated. Can you tell?)
    Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
    I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
    Source - Pinterest
    "

Current treatments:
    -IC diet
    -Elavil 60mg at night
    -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
    -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills every morning and night
    -Pyridium if needed,
    -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
    -Antibiotic to prevent UTI infections from 2x daily catheter use
    -Colace & Senna to treat chronic constipation from meds
    -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
    -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
    -Managing stress= VERY important!
    -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

I totally have the same problem! I will be watching this thread too.
    30 year old Mother, Midwife, Birth Doula, Herbalist, and Massage Therapist with sudden onset of IC approx. 2/16/05 (after a PAP smear and routine gynecological exam). I tried a HUGE list of natural and alternative treatments (including Cystoprotek, Desert Harvest Aloe, Aloe gel, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, L-Argenine, Quercitin/Bromelain, Marshmallow Root...etc) for the first 9 months of having IC, without much relief, until I finally researched and started Elmiron.

My experience:
    ~Previously took Elmiron 100mg three times a day
    (9/29/05-7/06)
    ~Experimented with dosage (1-2 Elmiron a day recapped into a plain gelcap) and did well with occasional mild flares. (7/06-9/09)
    ~Stopped all together at the 1 year mark (9/29/06) for 10 days. Still felt good, with low-level symptoms.
    ~Decided to go back on it (10/16/06) to see if another year on it will bring me into full (zero symptoms) remission. Currently taking 1-2 pills a day, recapped into a plain gelcap.
    ~ 6/08...Tried to go off Elmiron again, had huge flare at the 3 week mark, went back on 100mg once a day for maintenance.
    -I went off Elmiron for 2 months due to pregnancy and had a complete relapse of IC symptoms to pre-diagnosis levels of pain/frequency. I then went back on Elmiron at 10-12 weeks, but was unable to take it further due to severe morning sickness. The 2nd/3rd trimesters were MUCH better IC-wise, and postpartum is the best I have felt in years. I am no longer on Elmiron for now.
    -20 month postpartum remission from 4/17/09 to 12/10/10.
    -Out of remission after a pap smear on 12/10/10. Pap smears are obviously the main IC trigger for me. Currently trying to cope with loss of the remission.

Also doing:
    ~Sugar-free/gluten free and strict IC diet (With an emphasis on organic, alkaline and whole foods)
    ~Prenatal DHA/Fish oil supplement
    ~Vitamin D supplement
    ~Culturelle probiotic

ICN Member
    "Imagine" makes a broth that has onion (organic) but not powder, does that count? It has NO MSG! That's a biggee for me.

ICN Member
    I do make my own broth b/c everything I find is so expensive and I am cooking for 4 people. It is kind of gross the first time, but the broth turns out great. You could also use left over cooked chicken with the bones in. I try to cook a few too many chicken breasts with the bone in to save for making broth. It takes less time than boiling raw chicken (about 20 Minutes), smells MUCH better and makes broth that tastes even better, especially if it is roasted or herb chicken.
    -Rachel

ICN Member
    RAS6, what ingredients do you put in to make your broth? Thanks!

ICN Member
    GayleK,
    I sort of make it up as I go along. If I have cooked on the bone chicken I use enough water to cover it and add things that don't make me flare...for me a little sea salt, a bay leaf or two (remove these before you use or freeze the broth) a little white pepper. For soup I just use the broth, add more cooked chicken if needed, and dried soup greens (I get these at a Menonite store and it has no preservatives or added ingredients) or fresh veggies and brown rice or noodles. I make alot of soup lately; its easy, smells nice and warms me up. Plus I am getting sick of the IC diet and homeade soup still tastes good to me! You would have to fool around with it and see what tastes good to you!
    Hope this helps!
    -Rachel

chicken broth

There is a chicken broth I have found at Walmart that has no onion, I think. It is the generic brand they have at Walmart, I think it is called Great Value or something like that. I have used it alot and it seems to work out well for me. Check this out and see what you can find!!! I also found an organic beef broth and it had no onion, but I can't remember the brand. I will check that out next time I am in the store.

Thread Information