Latest Blog Article: Summer 2014 IC Optimist Now Available
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed Wetting?

ICN Member

Bed Wetting?

I don't think this is a cause, but I was curious if anyone suffered from bed wetting as a child. I know there seems to be a common link between that an ADD. Wonder if there is any relation to IC as well...

Dana

Dana, I was a chronic bed wetter. I would dream I was getting up & going to the toilet (and it was very real to me), and would then wake up when I wet myself & the bed. This would happen over & over, even tho I was punished severly everytime. (My father ruled with an iron hand.)

I don't have ADD, tho ... and never considered it had anything to do with eventually getting IC.

But I guess it would be kinda interesting to see how many IC'ers were also bed wetters as children....
    Sandi

Wherever you go ..... go with all your heart

I was a bed wetter also. Sandi, I'm so sorry that you got punished for it. I'm so glad my parents were understanding. I don't know if it really has anything to do with IC, though, because my dad had a large family of all boys and almost all of them were bed wetters. It runs in my family. My daughter is ten and she still wets the bed. Thank the Lord for Goodnights. I wish we had them when we were kids.

Me too. I was lucky though, my best girlfriend was a wetter too. So in the morning when we would get up, I would blame her and she would blame me.

I agree with my MD. IC may be a condition that is there from the beginnig and presents itself after bladder trauma.
    ________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by L. Thomas; 08-19-2011 at 04:21 PM.

I never wet the bed past age 1 1/2 when my mother said I was potty trained. I think at that age she probably trained herself, but that was the way things were done then.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I wet my bed until I was 17 yrs old. I tried a lot of things, not drinking water before bed time, pills, and nothing helped. My mom got mad, and she thought I did care less to wet the bed and myself...
    At 17, I started as a miracle, to feel the urge to go whe I was sleeping. I thought that I was a new person and that the other problems I had (urge incontinence, and frequency) where nothing!!!!, I lived happy, because I did not wet the bed.
    At 28, I had more frequency and urge incontinence. that was when I went for the first time to a urologist, I had blood in my urine, but he told me it was nothing abnormal, just that I have urge incontinence...

ICN Member
    I also wet the bed until I was about 15 or 16 and off and on again until I was 17-18. It also runs in my family. My mother was great about it because she had been a bed wetter too. Her and her brother used to have to stand in the bathtub naked to get "hosed off" every morning with cold water. My mother was a lot more understanding with me. She even picked me up at friends houses at the wee hours of the morning because I couldn't go to sleep for fear of wetting the bed and being teased. I had one friend that was good about it when I was a kid. She didn't even say anything when I wet on her from the top bunk of her brothers bed! Have have urinary problems all my life. Couldn't jump rope or jump on a trampoline without wetting myself. Don't know if that has anything to do with IC or not. My grandmother made me sleep on the couch on garbage bags! I didn't stay there much.

my sister used to have the same problem. i think she was about 12 when she saw a uro. i am younger so i don't remember much but i think they did a hydrodistention on her and that took care of her problems. she is no longer with us so sorry to say i can't get anymore info from her and my mom doesn't remember. i never had the bed wetting problem but i have ic.
    mom to 3 wonderful kids

IC symptoms 7/03,
    hysterectomy 11/04,
    prolapse cervix 7/07
    diagnosed: IC 2007
    IBS 2008

plaedes,
    did you had problems during the day (urgency, incontincne?) when you was a kid?
    do you have pain or not? or does your symptoms are worse as years passed?

ICN Member

Smile

Dana...hi, no I never wet the bed...altho I did wake up to pee alot...
    After suffering with IC for 40 years, my bladder was removed in Dec 05...YAY!

ICN Member
    I never really had the urgency problem until college. Sometimes I was just sitting in class and everything was fine then suddenly I had to leave the room to use the bathroom. I didn't think much of it then. I always had to pee a lot as a kid. I would say probably only slightly more than average, but in hind sight I feel like I lived in the bathroom in college. I never had pain that I associated with my bladder until 2002. I did however for years in college have these weird pains in my lower abdomen that would come and go very suddenly. They were painful enough that I had to pretty much lay down where ever I was. I felt faint and had a hot or cold flash and broke out in a sweat. I didn't have insurance then and new the health dept. wasn't going to help so I just pushed it asside and forgot about it. I had several teachers and friends tell me I needed to see a doctor about it then, but I was a poor college student. I figured if it got worse someday I would finally see a doctor. Then in 2002 it hit me like a ton of bricks. My mom has similar problems but won't see a doctor about it. She had a hysterctomy at age 28 and has had some problems with it since. She also had cysts on her ovaries that they did not remove. She just lived with the pain until I think they finally just dried up a few years ago. We were talking about IC and the things she's gone through and she realized that she hadn't hurt in months. I figure it was the ovaries because she can still eat tomatos, drink coffee etc. just fine. I personally think that she and others in my family have mild cases of IC. Just he frequency and urgency and not horrible at that. My family is the type that don't admit to having health problems and won't talk about them with you even if they do. I guess they are just more comfortable with denial. I don't complain, because it's pointless, but I do try to keep my husband informed. I would say that most every day I have a pain level of 1 but I can live with that. I just hope I don't end up in renal failure like my great uncle that died from complications with kidney disease.

Thumbs up

I wet the bed up to the age of 6 yrs old.
    I used to get the bout of cystitis, my mum used to give me this discusting medicine call potcit?? yuk !! it was awful and was like a salty lemon drink.
    No more attacks until I became sexually mature, when after that I had attacks everytime we had personal time together.
    It wasn't anything to do with my partner(who I later married) and he was only the man I went with.
    Later on I had four kids as time went on, and the symtoms got a lot worse everytime I had a baby it made it harder to deal with, and then came the pain.The pain increased and the cystitis got worse by the day.I was getting ill.And didn't know why I was only 34 and suffering like this, I had a husband and children and though that only the elderly had this problem.
    I was very wrong.this is not the case.
    Eventually I became incontinent at the age of 34 yrs old and was totally embarrassed to go to a doctor and say that I wet my bed and have to wear pads when I walk around the house or go out.
    The doctor was great, he was so understanding and promised to help me.
    I was taken in for tests and IC was confirmed, following over a 120 ops and every treatment the UK could try on me I'm now at the major surgery stage.
    I can honestly say that after all these years of being a IC sufferer, I am glad that it will all be over with soon and that I will have a long road to go down for a while but I am going to get better.
    So in 4 weeks on monday I am having the op that will make me well again.

take care xxx

East Central IL (near Champaign and Bloomington)
    Bedwetting is one of the worst things I remember about my childhood. I wet the bed until I was 14 or so.

I grew up in a tiny town, and my little group of friends were really nice. Whenever we would have a slumber party, I would just sleep with a garbage bag underneath me.

I also remember as a small child that my parents would call me lazy and I would sometimes get spankings when I wet the bed. They didnt realize until I was older that it was a medical problem. They finally took me to the doctor, and the doctor gave me this tiny pill to take at bedtime. I called it my bedtime pill.

My group of friends were as excited about my bedtime pill as I was. After a few weeks, I didnt wet the bed every night. Then after about 6 months, I was down to like once a month or so. I think I was on the pill for a year or two. It was a miracle pill to me at that age!

I think Ive always had frequency problems. I always joked that I had a small bladder. I found out in March that I was right!

I really wonder if my bedwetting is related to my IC. That was the first thing I thought when I found out I had a bladder condition.
    Meds: Percocet PRN; Pyridium PRN. First symptoms Dec 2005. Diagnosed in March 2006.

I am the proud mom of a two year old boy! I was lucky enough to be in remission my entire pregnancy. If you have any questions regarding my pregancy, delivery, breastfeeding, or pumping, feel free to contact me!

Im on Facebook! Just tell me you are from the ICN. Look me up under Kim Wayne.

I love working as a CNA in a nursing home. Started school in August part time. Going for my LPN!!!!

I also took a small pill at bedtime, BUT IT DID NOT WORKED!!!
    As I mention before, at 17, a miracle happened and I stop wetting the bed.
    But I continue to have urge incontinence for all my life (I'm 35)

Bed-wetting was the only urinary symptom I had when I was a kid. Once in a while, I would have a dream about going to the toilet, and end up wetting the bed. This happened right up until the 2nd or 3rd grade.
    Supposedly, I was also hard to potty-train when I was young, but I can't remember much of that.

Medical Conditions: interstitial cystitis, bipolar disorder (type I), hypothryoidism, tachycardia (chronic)

Other Occasional Health Problems: blepharitis and allergies

Current IC Treatments: just avoidance of triggers

Current BP I Treatments: Seroquel and lithium orotate

Current Thyroid Treatments: Natural Sources Raw Thyroid

Current Tachycardia Treatments: Metoprolol

Past IC Treaments:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen
    Hydroxyzine
    Elmiron
    Urocit-K
    pelvic floor therapy
    avoidance of flare-causing beverages