Latest Blog Article: IC Awareness Daily Fact #16 - IC And Sleep

Question pain travels from under rib to kideny area..

I have pain in my right kidney area that travels back and forth to the gallbladder area-under the right ribs.Feel like a ping pong ball going back and forth and back and forth!!! Is this IC pain? I was dig. with IC in June. The doctors have checked the gallbladder, it was at 46%. They checked for kidney stones, found a few little ones ( i have had a history of kidney stones), i was told it could be a muscle spasm-down deep in the muscle cause by FMS. Anyway, the URO i am seeing said the pain under the rib and in the kidney area is caused by the IC. I thought(and that is a dangerous thing to do) that if it was bladder problems, it would hurt lower..thanks for any ideas. I am new at this i hope i post it right!

under ribcage

I get a pin under my ribcage that I assumed was gas but I feel like there is something stuck under my rib and if i could move it it would feel better but i hadn't connected it to my IC. Maybe it is. I am going to ask my uro. Thanks for mentioning it. I am undergoing DMSO treatments now so I have a variety of side effects. The other people on here are great so maybe one of them will have a better answer but I hope you feel better. Take care.
    StephanieS

Have tried DMSO and other treatments but gave up and came off all meds. Canada likes to keep people in pain!!
    Diagnosed in 2005 but suffered since 1998.
    IC
    Asthma
    IBS

thanks for getting back to me!the doctors had said if the pain was under the left ribs...more than likely it was gas! But they just knew for SURE that the pain on the left was a bad gallbladder!! But that got shot down!!( LOL)- i just like to do research and to see what other people have have been thru or what things have worked for them. I had a Internest tell me several months ago ,when i was talking to him about FMS-(which i have had since 1992) that he thought i had done too MUCH research! i did not go back to him! i kind of wondered if he should do more research!! LOL! I just love this web site! Thanks to all for your comments! jeannie

Gas My Aching Back!!!

I have left flank pain frequently and it is definately IC related. No history of kidney stones and ultrasound confirmed that none were developing. My pain seems to actully follow the the ureter line from the bladder right up to the kidney area. I almost always have it on the left side, but occasionally it will fake me out and happen on the right side. Gall bladder - healthy. At least one of my bladders is healthy LOL.

Jean

It is interesting that you talk about this. One of my first symptoms years ago was pain on my right side, just under my gallbladder. It would almost cramp up on me and was particularly bad before I ate. A few years later I had my galllbladder out. I would be interested in finding out who else has these symptoms and if more of us have had our gallbladders out than the general population.

Cheries,Did the pain go away after you had your gallbladder out? jeannie
    Last edited by jlp; 08-15-2006 at 05:23 PM. Reason: a green guy got in the way..lol

I had my gall bladder removed some years ago. I had what they called a chronic gall bladder --- I just felt uncomfortable all the time, but no really bad pain. Getting rid of it was a real blessing.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

The last time I felt radiating pain like that, it was a kidney stone...I'm sure you've probably ruled that out, though....

Blessings, hope you feel better soon,
    Lori

Lori,I have had a history of kidneys stones. The first two or three,back in the early 90's were calaciam( i need spell check to counter-react the brain fog). the last several ones have been the uriac acid ones. The docs would say it was a kidney stone, but there was no blood in the urine,and nothing on x rays. A few showed up on the sono. but what the doctors could not explain was why i would have this pain for months! and it would go back and forth.they could not explain it so they would just give me a shot or meds!!This has been going on for years! the pain would last 2-4 months, let up for 1-2 months and start over!! It is enough to drive me crazy. so after years of this,and being told it might me FMS pain,whick i tried to tell them that i did not think it was the FMS pain..I was just surprised to have a doc. say that he thought it was pain caused by IC!! IC had never applied to me until 2 months ago..so i am just learning......but the pain is not like anything i have had before...anyway...thanks for getting back to me...all information is so helpful and it is nice that i have others to talk to now.
    jeannie

Hi Jeannie, I've had some mysterious rib pain as well. I'm not sure, but it MAY be IC related for me anyway. I've had periodic PELVIC pain for well over 10 years, but 3 years ago, I developed severe RIB pain!! No clear Dx was ever made (they at first thought is was chronic pancreatitis, and treated me with meds for that, when I didn't get better, I went through a TON of docs, even ended up at a teaching hospital in Boston....they told me it was definitely NOT pancreatitis, but thought is was due to herniated discs in my thoracic spine, I underwent 6 mos. of PT, and it eventually subsided, but I still have it on occasion.) I hope this helps!!
    Thank You all so much to everyone here for all your sharing, caring and support!
    < My "Bear"
    CurrentTreatments:
    Started herbal teas 6/2/06 Marshmallow root, comfrey root, and catnip. 6/25/06 added Mullein Leaf Powder to tea.
    IC Diet
    Hydroxyzine 50 or 100mg at night (Is restarted)
    Zoloft 100mg 4/8/07 (Is restarted)
    Klonopin 1/2 mg 4 X Day (started 3/17/07)
    Past Treatments: Amitriptyline, Neurontin, Hytrin, Heparin instills (was Dc'd after 5 weekly tx's due to severe urethritis), Superior hypogastric plexus block, E-stim, Elmiron instills (started 4/18/06-Dc'd 5/30/06 due to severe urethritis/infection requiring foley cath @ home 4 days), Oxycontin (oxycodone) (4/18/06)-pain (Dc'd 5/31/06), Levsin S/L (hyoscyamine) (3/17/06)-antispasmotic (Dc'd 5/31/06), Elmiron (1/24/06)-(Dc'd 6/25/06), Prelief, Zanaflex 4mg for PFD (Dc'd 10/1/06), CystaQ 1 in am & 1 in pm with food(started 5/12/06-increased to 2 in am & 1 in pm 9/20/06---Dc'd 10/18/06), Lyrica (started 10/26/06 up to 600 mg-Dc'd 12/4/06 due to urinary retention), Vicodin (hydrocodone) ES PRN for pain (Dc'd 1/4/07); Cymbalta 30mg (start 1/17/07) up to 60mg in am (1/26/07) (D/c'd 3/17/07); Ativan 1mg(Lorazepam)- PRN Anxiety (changed to Klonopin 1/2mg 4Xday 3/17/07); Pyridium (phenazopyridine) PRN-bladder analgesic; MSM (6/12/06) 1000mg after breakfast & dinner (Dc'd 3/15/07); Acidophilus (Natrol) 100mg. 1 capsule 1/2 hour before breakfast (5/20/06) (Dc'd 3/17/07)

Added BACK in - Atarax (hydroxyzine) (started 4/6/06 Dc'd 5/31/06) Restart 50mg at night 8/18/06, up to 100mg at night 1/4/07. Zoloft 100mg-Depression (Dc'd 7/25/06) Restart 4/8/07) 100mg.
    Dx'd: Dec 05 (Positive PST in November and positive cystoscopy in Dec) Symptoms: Pain, frequency, urgency & retention

My Myspace page - http://www.myspace.com/42620225

Thanks...It sure seems like every one has been thru a TON of doctors!! LOL It is a wonder there are any doctors left!! LOL..jeannie

I started having gallbladder problems about the same time as my bladder started bothering me. I had been having pain running from my gallbladder area to the middle of my back and stomach. They started out happening maybe every six months or so. I finally talked to the doctor when I had a particularly bad attack and he sent me out for tests. I had a dye test and at first the dye wouldn't progress so the guy doing the test sent me off for a couple of hours and when I got back he finished the test, that should have been everyone's first clue. Well needless to say the didn't think it was my gallbladder but he gave me some vicoden to take when I had these attacks. It was about this time that I mentioned that all at once I could only go about 2 hours before having to urniate again. He sent me to a urologist that place water in my bladder and said you just have a small bladder. I was like so it just shrinks all at once because before I could go several hours. This was about 12 years ago.

I moved to the Portland area in 96 when I got married. My doctor here ran some tests for my gallbladder and said it was fine. I didn't mention my bladder as it was the same as before. I ended up getting a different doctor a year later when I got new insurance. This doctor thought maybe my pain was muscle pain since all of my tests had been negative even though my attacks were coming more frequently with every passing month.

About 3 years ago my pain in my gallbladder was constant so they sent me out again for tests and low and behold the dye wouldn't go through my gallbladder at all, seems it had been dying all along and now it was completly bad. About the same time I had a couple of UTIs. I had my gallbladder removed that January and once I had recovered and gone off the pain meds, my bladder pain returned, it was masked by the vicoden I had been taking for the gallbladder. My doctor said this time that I didn't have an infection and thought I might have IC.
    I was referred out to my first uro and he thought it was IC maybe so gave me the Heparin treatments with no result, I changed uros when he told me he didn't know why I would need pain meds since my primary had been giving them to me until I had a good uro.

I changed uros and he did a hydro under anesthesia and told me yes I had IC for sure.

So in my case yes the both seemed to happen together.

TerriT

Thank you for telling me all of this! This is the first time in my life that i have heard that the pain could be caused by IC! I had heard from a friend of mine that they knew someone who had IC. That was 2 years ago. At that time it did not apply to me, so i never connected the dots..right side pain in flank, under ribs, having to go to the bathroom all the time. I had been told for years, that it was FMS, lupus, muscle pain, i am sure the list could go on. lol..(gas) ! I had the Cystoscopy and Hydrodistention done on June 29th. I do not have to go to the bathroom as much...but my pain is worse!!! My bladder hurts all the time! After i go to the bathroom, my right kidney starts to burn! sometimes, i will have burning AFTER i stop peeing! Like how it feels when you pass those kidney stone..that feels like glass cutting you! I have a high pain tolerance ( or thoght i did-lol) so the doctors do not take me serious (sp)if i am saying it is like a 7, and i am still sitting there talking normal! My PC, finally says..i can tell my your eyes ( usually black under the eyes) that you do not feel good! I may have cried to the appt..but try to be "brave in there", now i have decided i better start showing them how much pain i am in or they will not believe me. anyway, i go today to talk to the Uro, about the pain since june 29th! This will be my 3rd visit to him, and how he acts will depend on if i go back! But the good uro..are anywhere from 1 to 6 hours away!! guess that is enough for now, thanks to everyone for their ideas, stories and just having someone to talk to..

Thread Information