Latest Blog Article: Interstitial Cystitis Treatment Guidelines Updated by AUA in Fall 2014

Urodynamic Testing & Cystoscopy

Hi friends,

This week, I went to a local teaching hospital to get a second opinion. The doctor I saw was very nice, and it seemed like a good appointment. I am supposed to go back in a month to do a day of testing....an in-office cystoscopy and a urodynamic test, both on the same morning. I have had an in-office cystoscopy before, and it was really rough. I haven't had a urodynamic test before, but I am pretty concerned about doing both of those tests on the same day. I also will be taking public transit back and forth, which I can't really imagine on top of it all. It's about a three-hour trip each way. I'm not sure how to do this right now. I guess I'm wondering what sort of experiences other people have had, and if they've done both tests at once before. I'm trying to imagine if this is even possible, and how I will do it on public transit. Thanks for any advice people can share!

Take care,
    ErinBear

Erinbear, I would DEFINATELY not ride public transit home from this. If you cannot get a ride that day, I would reschedule until you can, or get a hotel room near the testing and take a cab to it, so you can rest afterwards. Then, you can always take the public transit home the next day.

Either test alone would be very rough on you, but the combo is going to REALLY hard on you. NO way would I ride public transit home after all of that!!

I would definately make sure you will have pain meds for a few days afterwards, and if at all possible try to get the script filled prior to the appt, so that you can take one immediately after the tests for the ride home. I would also ask the Dr. to instill a Rescue solution instill with Marcaine into your bladder after the cystoscopy. When I have a rescue instill, it usually helps me for several days afterwards.

I have never had an in-office cysto, I had a cyto/hydro under general anesthesia by a Uro, during laproscopic surgery by my Gyn to d/x endo. I would want to make sure that the Dr doing the cyso uses at the very least local anestheia. (Some Drs. do, but some do not. Please make sure yours will use it!)

I had no problems after my cysto/hydro like others have described, but my Gyn actually instilled a Rescue Solution after the Uro left the room when the Uro finished the cysto/hyro since the Uro did not do it. My Gyn treats my IC, and knew I would be in pain if this was not done, and was appaulled that the URO "was so inconsiderate not to do this".

Apparently my Gyn knows his stuff, b/c I never flared afterwards, even though I have heard several horror stories from others on here, where they had horrible flares after theirs. So, please INSIST that this is done!!!

As for the urodynamics testing, please make sure they use Lidocaine before they cath you, and that they wait until it takes affect (15-20 min) before they do it. This is very important, if you dont want to be in pain. Also, make sure that they use the smallest possible cath. (A 5 French is the smallest. It is also used as an infant feeding tube. It is about the size of those tiny straws that come with juice boxes.) If you are still worried, you can also bring an ice pack with you to hold to your urethra after you have applied the Lidocaine, to assist with numbing. Dont forget that after you appy some to your urethra, you might also want to put some in your rectum, since they will be pulling probes and things up there too!

If you have any Valium or other nerve pills, I would ask your Dr. if it is okay to take one before your procedures, to help calm you. Both are pretty invasive, although doing them is a very important thing, so that the drs can rule out other things. But, I wont lie to you, they arent pleasant. But, if you take all of the precautions I have outlined, then they will be alot more bearable for you than they would for someone who didnt know to do those things.

I would also ask your Dr. if he would prescribe a few days of a low dose, prophalactic antibiotic, to prevent a UTI, bladder, or kidney infection caused by the catheter. Some Drs. will do this routinely, others will not. But, mine always did, (possibly b/c I am so prone to infections). However, almost anyone is very suseptible to one after being cathed.

I wish you the best of luck. If you follow the precautions I have given you, things should be much more tolerable, although they still arent going to be pleasant. I hope things go quickly for you and well for you. Hugs, Amy

It's been a lot of years ago, but I had both tests on the same day. My uro referred me to a doctor 120 miles from where I live --- it was about a two & a half hour drive. My husband drove me so I didn't have to drive, but we made the trip both ways in the same day.

The tests weren't bad at all. The doctor was very skilled and took his time. We even stopped on the way home for dinner and it wasn't horrible. I was uncomfortable for a few hours, but I didn't need pain medications.

If you're concerned, you might want to check on availability of a place where you can spend the night if you don't feel like going home on the same day.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Judging from the differant responses, I guess it must vary depending on the technician preforming the urodynamics and doing the cathing, and on whether or not the Dr. uses any local anesthesia, and on the pain threshold of the patient. (Admittedly mine is low, while Donna's may be higher.) But, this at least gives you hope that it might not be that bad at all, which is good news. I guess we all tend to think that everyone has the same experiances that we do. (At least I do!) But, I am very glad to know that there is a good chance now that it might not be painful for you. I hope it goes well for you! Please post and let us know how it went, and if you did ride the public transit home, if it made any difference. Hugs, Amy

Hi Ihurttoo,

I sure appreciate all of the information and advice. I've had cystoscopies before, both in-office and under anaesthesia. I definitely preferred the one which was under anaesthesia! It's a good test to sleep through! And I absolutely agree that it is better to have local anaesthetic if you are going to be awake. The last time I had it done while I was awake, the urologist did not use local anaesthetic. I flat out refuse to do it this time if they are not going to use lidocaine (or some equivalent).

I sure appreciate all of the other suggestions. I think I may be between a rock and a hard place when it comes to using public transit. My friends all work during the day, and I don't think they can take a day off to come do this with me. I can't afford to stay in the city for the night. So it may just need to be done on public transit....that's the way it looks right now, although I don't really understand how that is going to work. We'll see what happens. I'm working on it. I really like the idea of the ice packs, although I think they will melt by the time the procedure is over if I bring them with me. Maybe there is a way I can get one up there.

I'll work on the pain meds - maybe I can get those in advance from my internist. He is pretty helpful. :-)

It's good to make as many plans as I can in advance for this, especially since I'm single and don't have family....helps to get my ducks in a row!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I appreciate it!

Hugs,
    ErinBear

Hi Ihurttoo,

I sure appreciate all of the information and advice. I've had cystoscopies before, both in-office and under anaesthesia. I definitely preferred the one which was under anaesthesia! It's a good test to sleep through! And I absolutely agree that it is better to have local anaesthetic if you are going to be awake. The last time I had it done while I was awake, the urologist did not use local anaesthetic. I flat out refuse to do it this time if they are not going to use lidocaine (or some equivalent).

I sure appreciate all of the other suggestions. I think I may be between a rock and a hard place when it comes to using public transit. My friends all work during the day, and I don't think they can take a day off to come do this with me. I can't afford to stay in the city for the night. So it may just need to be done on public transit....that's the way it looks right now, although I don't really understand how that is going to work. We'll see what happens. I'm working on it. I really like the idea of the ice packs, although I think they will melt by the time the procedure is over if I bring them with me. Maybe there is a way I can get one up there.

I'll work on the pain meds - maybe I can get those in advance from my internist. He is pretty helpful. :-)

It's good to make as many plans as I can in advance for this, especially since I'm single and don't have family....helps to get my ducks in a row!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I appreciate it!

Hugs,
    ErinBear

Hi Donna,

Thanks so much for your reply, and telling me about what it was like for you to do those two tests on the same day! Wow - to do all of that and have the long drive as well! That was amazing, and brave. :-) So glad you got through it, and even think it wasn't too bad in retrospect. It gives me some hope, Donna...thanks for telling me how it went for you. I sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
    ErinBear

Thread Information