Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving
Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Vaginal Valium Suppository Formula

Many of you have asked for more information on the valium vaginal suppositories that Dr. Brookoff discussed in his lecture on pain management and IC last month. He has provided the following information to help you discuss this with your doctors.

All they (the doctor) has to do is write a prescription for "Valium vaginal suppositories." The dose is 10 or 20mg up to four times per day and then have the patient take the prescription to a compounding pharmacist, who will know what to do.

Hope this helps. Compounding pharmacies can be hard to find because they are relatively specialized. They actually create/manufacture custom formulations of drugs. For example, many patients have compounding pharmacies mix up a preservative free variation of Estrace Cream because they are sensitive to the propylene glycol found in the normal version. I have boric acid suppositories made up to help my occasional yeast problems.

Jill
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Talking thanks!!!

YAY!!!! Mine are currently being made up! Thank you Jill.... FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO!!!
    IC since 1997

I couldn't make it without my husband- He IS the greatest!!!

I try to believe that God wouldn't give me anything more than what he knows I can handle

Can this help if the oral valium doesn't help my PFD? Thanks, Ann

Thumbs up

Hello,

I have used the valium suppositories and many compounded cream medications. One pharamcy that Dr. Brookoff (and lots of other physicians) likes and tells patients to send or give their prescriptions to is Dakota Pharmacy - www.dakotarx.com Their phone number is 1-800-290-7028. Dr. Brookoff has talked with Kevin, the pharmacy manager, ask to speak only to him regarding your issues. He knows about IC. I saw one of the journal articles he wrote for a compounding journal, Kevin is brilliant about these compounding medications.

I have been using this pharmacy for years and cannot say enough about the excellent service!! I live in Minnesota. The pharmacy is in North Dakota. If you doctor gives you a prescription, you can fax or mail it to Kevin and the pharmacy will mail you your prescription right away. If you need it as soon as possible, you can ask for it to be fed exed immediately and have it as soon as the next day.

I have talked to and used several compounding pharmacies and this one is by far the best. Many physicians here in Minnesota refer patients to Dakota Pharmacy. They do take insurance. I have not had insurance coverage for my compounded medications and had to pay for them myself. Thankfully, they are not that expensive and worth every cent!

Kevin knows more about what I need than my physicians, he is happy to talk to them and tell them what he suggests and the physicians are grateful for his advice. And, he is happy to talk to you and tell you what he thinks would be a good medication compound based on your symptoms. He does free consultations. Don't be shy, tell him exactly what is going on. I have needed to tell him about my vulvodynia symptoms, there is probably nothing you can tell him that he has not already heard. I shave off my pubic hair over my bladder, while taking a shower, and apply the creams right on the suprapubic area, it has worked great! I sometimes put a Lidoderm (slow released lidocaine) patch right on the suprapubic area and that helps a lot.

Did you know that lots of meds can be put in cream form?? Neurontin, elavil, ketoprofen, baclofen.... The benefit is that you do not get the side effects since the drug does not have to be broken down by the liver from swallowing the pill AND, the med goes right to the area. It is quite amazing.

Currently I am talking to Kevin about getting progesterone cream to oppose my estrogen since that is when my IC pain flares each month - when my estrogen goes up. Estrogen goes up for ovulation and before your period.

Again the site is www.dakotarx.com and the toll free number is 1-800-290-7028. Ask to speak to Kevin, pharmacy manager. Once you get started with him, he will call your physician for you for any adjustments, etc.

Lisa
    Last edited by LisaM; 08-13-2006 at 07:32 PM.

What does the suppository do? How does it help?
    Sarah
    The avid San Antonio Spurs fan...

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

But if I must afflicted be,
    To suit some wise design;
    Then, man my soul with firm resolves
    To bear and not repine!
    Robert Burns

Thank you Jill and LisaM. I am really excited to here about these suppositories. I am in the process of going to a new Urologist soon because my Urologist just retired. I went to one already and did not feel comfortable with what she had to say. She discredited my previous Doctor of 16 years by telling me that he has missdiagnosed me. I have been to 4 other doctors who also gave me the diagnosis of IC and she decided that even though I have every symptom of IC and lesions inside my bladder that what I have is Pelvic floor pain. Anyway I am sure this other Urologist will be glad to help me and write the prescription. I am soooooo greatful to everyone on this site because any new treatment is worth trying. I have had IC for a long time and I don't doubt that I have some pelvic floor dysfunction. It would be nice if that was all it was.
    Last edited by bamagirl; 08-16-2006 at 05:29 PM.
    GO TO: IC-talkblogspot.com
    [B]CURRENT DIAGNOSES AND MEDICATIONS
    lumbar pain,depression,periphreal neuropathy,Insomnia,IBS
    for pain-tramadol ER 200 mgs (once a day),for break-thru pain-talwin(as needed),for periphreal nueropathy-Lyrica 150 mgs (3 times a day),for insomnia-ambien10mgs,for hot flashes- estradiol (estrogen),for IBS-Questran (one packet a day),for depression-paxil (80 mgs)=two 40 mgs a day

SURGERIES-
    *Bladder and Urethra removed (Radical Cystectomy)-August 2012
    *Vaginal Prolapse surgery, ovaries removed and Interstim removed 2012June 2012
    *Cauterization of the bladder lining-1992-i don't know the technical term
    *Bladder distension and cauterization-1992
    *Cystocopy-1992
    *Gallbladder removal-1995-gall stones
    *Hysterectomy-1998-still have ovaries
    *Interstim trial-2002
    *Interstim implant-2002
    *Trial pain pump did not work
    *spinal injections-2009 (once with 1 injection and a second time with 6 injections)

That's funny, I got diagnosed with the same thing yesterday. They're sending me to have physical therapy.
    Sarah

To bear and not repine!
    Robert Burns

wow! This gives me new hope!

I really appreciated these posts. I am going to contact my URO about the pelvic floor pain and ask about the suppositories and any cream to apply externally right on the affected area.

I spent the last two weeks in a lot of pelvic floor pain, but really didn't know that there was anything to do other than heat/cold packs, and such.

I think I am over the worst of it, but I did discover what worked good for me was to sleep without undies, and put my legs up on a pillow so I didn't spend too much time on my side -- keeping my legs apart and the sore area basically open to the air -- sounds weird, but I think it helped.

My worst is also with my periods -- ugh -- just get over the soreness from one and another comes along.. oh, for the days when they are done.....

Wouldn't the valium supp. only work if you have PFD? I don't have pelvic floor dysfunction so not sure this stands a chance for me.

Is there a difference between PFD and your pelvic muscles just being overall too tight? Or is PFD for any type of abnormality in the pelvic muscles?
    Sarah

To bear and not repine!
    Robert Burns

Dianne,
    My doctor said it worked for bladder spasms too and that is why it alleviated pain.
    hugs,
    Janie

ICN Member

Are Valium suppositories to help ease the pain opf sex?

I am taking physical therapy for PFD but she has not mentioned taking the suppositories. Is it for pain in general or to make sex more comfortable?

Thanks,
    Susan

I don't have spasms so I don't this would help my brand of IC. Maybe someday.

Spasms are frustrating.
    Sarah

To bear and not repine!
    Robert Burns

Vaginal Valium

Hi everyone: Here is a question on vaginal valium suppositories
    i have been trying to use it for several months now.. i had to stop, because we thought that the seepage was causing vaginal and vulva irritation, yeast infection from the suppositiores keeping the area so moist.. pharmacist and my doc are trying to work on a formula that will not be irritatiing to my vag and vulva.. do you know of anyone who has had success with vag valium and what bases the compounding pharmcist are using? my compounding pharmacisit has been using a paraffiin wax base and she was thinking about switching it to something else, but before i spend all this money, i was wondering if you knew of any other bases of formulas that were being used with success.. Thanks.. anyone has any info i will be most appreciatve

Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information