Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder
    IC Friend

white floaties in urine

HI all

I went to the GYN today for the ol yearly check up and gave up a urine sample. there were these white floaty things in there, kinda looked flakey, like skin. I also noticed a red dot. what could this be? (slightly freaked out at the moment)

thanks for the imput

Enk

infection?

Hi,
    It could be pus...which could indicate an infection.
    Kim

white floaties

I have that trouble all the time. My doctor finally decided that it was my bladder lining. Some flakes are normal but mine would be in little white balls. It hurts like kidney stones. If you gave a sample, you must not have an infection or the doctor would tell you (hopefully). The elmiron has helped some. Good luck!!
    God Bless,

Kristi

IC Friend
    thanks guys!

Tk, what do you mean when you say some flakes are normal? do you mean ICer normal or normal normal?

Thanks

My mom says she has the white floaties and has never been diagnosed with any bladder problems. All my doctor said was that it was normal. Whatever "normal" means. I don't think anyone knows what that is anymore
    God Bless,

Kristi

I noticed the 'white floaties' the last time I gave a urine sample. I have given many urine samples before and there never has been any floaties before. Interesting! They did a culture that time and I ended up having a UTI.

I have had white floaties. Thought this was a natural by product of our urine.

Hey I did a search on "particles in urine" and came up with quite a few results. Here's one of them:

I'm a 26 year old female in otherwise good health. For the last week I have had visible white particles in my urine and the feeling (urge) to urinate. Oftentimes when urinating it feels as if my bladder is not quite empty. I went to the dr. and showed neg. test result for UTI. He was not too interested after this result. What could this be??

Thanks...
    Forum-M.D.-KYP
    03/28/2004
    Ati_Sera

Various forms of vaginosis (i.e. bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, or trichinella) can cause a vaginal discharge that may have gotten into the urine, resulting in the white particles. A pelvic examination as well as a wet prep of the discharge can rule out these causes.

If the urge to urinate continues, you may want to consider a repeat of the urinalysis and possible antibiotic therapy. If the tests continue to be not revealing, a urology referral can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
    Kevin, M.D.

i get sediment in my urine from time to time. sometimes i'll have white floaty things that look like strips of tissue paper. others i'll have black chunks (old blood from the bladder according to a former urologist). but i never have infections. cultures always come back normal, even the time i had so much sediment in my sample that my ob/gyn took it and showed another dr because it was so unusual.

talk to your dr though and have a culture to rule out any infection. just in case.
    holly 35
    IC, endometriosis, graves, chronic uterine infection
    no kids, just me and my man (and some furry things that beg for food a lot)
    "if the Lord has set you free, be free indeed"

IC dx 2003/mysteriously developed while on depot lupron to treat endometriosis
    treatments tried so far:
    elmiron, elavil, pyridium, urelle, heparin instills, doxycycline regimen (most successful, but not completely), IC diet

I also have those floaties. I have always noticed these in my urine. They are thin flakey strips.
    Sounds like its normal particals, alot of us have them.
    Hope this helps, Amber

Hi there--I also have the "white floaties" in my urine and
    my Dr. said this was skin flora (natural in everyone's urine)--but who knows it may be something else.

IC Friend
    Hi thanks for all the imput guys!! i guess it could be nothing or it could be somethng..like always..lol. I dont think it is an infection because i am not feeling any worse. glad im not alone with the white floaties...will let you know what the doc says next week.

I have the little white things that look like bits of skin too. I asked about it and also was told it was normal...but when I get it, I usually feel better for a few days...maybe it is the healthy bladder tissue pushing the old away?

One day, the day after my 40th birthday party...after I had a few drinks...and I was still in denial about alcohol bothering me, I was in excruciating pain. I actually had to ride in a car across the state to see my daughter in a concert at a music camp. I thought I was going to die. Finally, I went to the bathroom and it was like giving birth, the cramping was horrible.......and the toilet water was filled with the little floaty things. The great thing was that I felt SO much better....it was almost like the little bits of skin were irritating my bladder and urethra and when they passed, I was fine. I still wonder to this day if I burned my bladder with the alcohol, like someone does with a sunburn. Hard to say.

I do think we examine our urine more than other people.
    Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
    IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
    IC Diet Website
    For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
    Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
    Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
    IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Since I've been on long-term antibiotics, the floaties stopped. I think it was infection and/or yeast. jmho
    Holly
    1/19/2006 diagnosed with PBS/possible IC
    2/1/2006 Elmiron & Elavil 50mg
    3/2006 began PN symptoms
    7/18/2006 broth culture sent (found Strep D) stopped Elmiron & Elavil and began long-term amoxicillin - IC symptoms relieved at last!
    09/29/2006 PNMLT found pudendal nerve damage on rt side (nerve block to be done Oct 4)
    10/20/2006 - lyrica for PN pain (didn't last)
    11/20/2006 - cymbalta for PN (didn't last)
    12/2006 - stopped all meds and started Dr. Moldwin's therapy of valium and PT for PFD, which is still working for me
    UPDATE 7/1/2008 - weaning off the valium...taking 2mg nightly about 5 days a week, so doing great. No more pudendal nerve pain, although I'm careful about how I sit at work and try to exercise to stay relaxed to minimize PFD. A powerplate workout machine helps massage those inner PF muscles, and I take MSM and glucosamine (in MonaVie) religiously, which are both natural antiinflammatories. I feel GREAT!
    UPDATE 2/16/2010 - completely pain free!

Looks like the "IC" pain caused my PFD, which pinched and damaged my pudendal nerve, which in turn sends out misguided signals to my PF muscles....battling this pain cycle, but at least I have been pain-free bladder-wise for 2 years now!

JMHO - I don't believe that antibiotic therapy should be considered controversial....the theory that "IC" is a disease should be controversial. I believe that we all must find out what causes the damage to our bladder linings, stop that, and then let it heal. In only 9 short months, I added EVERYTHING back to my diet and have been "IC"-free for 2 years and counting.

Those little flake-looking things are normal. By normal, I mean that anyone, IC or not, will sometimes have them. We notice them because we pay attention to our urine. People with healthy bladders usually wouldn't notice them at all.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Thread Information