Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

Help with anti spasm medication info?

Can anyone out there there share their experiences and results with any prescribed antispasm bladder meds? I take AZO standard like candy everyday of my life, usually 3 a day for bladder spasms, and after reading the cautions, that large doses caused intestinal carcinoma in lab rats, this has scared me to death, I cannot deal with the daily bladder spasms without this medication and nothing else over the counter works!!! Prescribed pyridium causes way too much nausea and gas (is okay during a bladder infection) but not a daily basis.

Thanks
    Kathy Montgomery
    Winston Salem NC

Hey there mrsmont! Has your doctor put you on anything like Detrol or Ditropan? Those are Rx's for spasms, Ditropan was one of the first meds I was given, as I had horrible urethral spasms then later some bladder spasms.

The Ditropan helped me out sooooo much. It didn't help with frequency for me, just the spasms. I was warned by my doctor not to take Pyridium (AZO Std is the OTC version) too often or too regularly. Did your doctor give you the ok to take it so often? If not, I would chat with him/her about how often you can use it safely and whether or not there may be something better for to take (like Detrol, Ditropan etc)

Now, there is an Rx for Pyridium Plus that has an added antispasmodic, but I know the regular and the AZO are just straight bladder analgesics. Have you tried taking the Rx (or even the OTC) Pyridium with food? That used to help me as I have actually, um, thrown it right back up, lol. Not good. But, it did numb my tongue...lmao!!

Hope this helps a little bit!!!
    Hugs,
    Tracey
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Vistaril 25mg in the evening
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
    Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
    Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Cool anti spasm drugs

I took ditropan years ago, and it helped some, I may ask to try the ditropan xl, have you tried that? Yes I have used the rx pyridium and with food that is the one that makes me sick.

Thanks for your reply
    Kathy Montgomery
    Winston Salem NC

IC Friend
    Kathy:

Many healthcare providers prescribe Valium 2mg. three times per day. It helps to relax the pelvic floor muscles and the bladder, preventing spasms. Additionally, if you are drinking a lot of liquids (more than 4 ounces) at one time, you may want to take small sips every 5 to 10 minutes to prevent the bladder from going into spasm.

As Tracey mentioned, many IC patients do very well on Ditropan or Detrol. I've found them to have more side-effects than valium, but each patient is different.

Discuss your options with your healthcare provider and ask which medication is appropriate for you.

Best wishes, ICB

valium

ICB does the 2mg 3 times a day of valium make you drowsy at all?

Thanks
    Kathy Montgomery
    Winston Salem NC

There are several different antispasmodics that can help --- my preference is hyoscyamine, but I have also taken urispas and sanctura.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    I have found that Levsin (Hyoscyamine) works very well for my bladder spasms. There are several kinds, but I take the sublingual ones (you put them under your tongue & let them melt).

Dream with the feathers of angels stuffed beneath your head - Clutch

IC, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, MPS, Migraines, Allergies, Scoliosis, Bi-polar, Vulvodynia......

IC Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsrmont
    ICB does the 2mg 3 times a day of valium make you drowsy at all?

Thanks
    It may cause drowsiness in the first week or two; after that you get used to the dose and you can't even tell that you're taking it. If it bothers you at first; you can cut it in half until you get used to that dose, then go to a full pill.

Check with your healthcare provider to see what he/she believes is the best treatment regimen for you.

Best wishes, ICB
    Last edited by ICB; 07-06-2006 at 06:42 AM.

For me, Ultram works the best for dealing with constant, daily spasms. B&O suppossitories are great for super-strong spasms.
    Elle

I haven't tried the Ditropan XL, to help keep costs down (I didn't have insurance at the time) my doc put me on the regular stuff, 5mg 3x's a day. Which, I really liked - I could adjust as needed (down, not up, lol) instead of being stuck with it in my system, if that makes any sense!!

As you can see, there's lots to choose from, lol!!

Hugs!
    Hugs,
    Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Previous IC Meds taken:
    Others:
    Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
    Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
    Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
    Align Probiotic daily for IBS

ditropan

Traceann why would you have to adjust it, was it because of dealing with side effects? What really aggrevates me is if you read in my earlier post of how many AZO standard that I take, and how scared I am of doing that, I did tell my urologist and he stated "thats okay"!

So many times we have to be our own doctor!!!! (Most of the time)!

Thank you
    Kathy Montgomery
    Winston Salem NC

I believe you are right to worry about taking that much AZO -- yes, it has been shown to cause cancer in lab rats, but that isn't my concern really as a cancer biologist (the rats were fed even higher doses than you're taking). However, the longterm use of azo dyes is hard on the liver, and can also alter your red blood cell function so after a while you may note you aren't getting enough oxygen. Finally, my uro has had several patients who took so much of the stuff they actually turned orange themselves!!

Have you tried something like Urised? It has the antispasmodic hyoscyamine in it, as well as a safer blue dye to soothe the lining of the urinary tract. It helps a lot of patients.

In addition, Levsin is good (it's hyoscyamine alone), as is the Valium regimen. I find that the Valium works best for me personally; the Levsin is actually better for the intestinal spasms I get with my IBS.

I did try things like Ditropan and Detrol, and neither worked for me -- I experienced the side effect of severe urinary retention. Yuck...

I hope you find some relief soon!!
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

For me I discovered that I could eventually use it "as needed". The better things got, I was able to cut back the dose, like just take morning and evening and skip the midday dose. My worst complaint with it was the dryness - of everything. Mouth, vaginal, my skin - my hands looked awful. But I started taking flaxseed oil and that made a HUGE improvement in the dryness issue, so it wasn't so bad to deal with. But, I hate taking meds (lovely for an ICer eh? LOL), so if I was able to take less, and do well, I was happy!! I was fortunate and didnt' have retention issues with it, but it can be a problem for some like Sarojini said. Seems like every medication somewhere has some kind of drawback...ugh. So, for a lot of us it's trial and error in what works well for us, as you can see - we are all different!
    Hugs,
    Tracey

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:

Dx's:
    IC dx'd Nov 2004
    Possible IBS
    Current IC Meds
    Previous IC Meds taken: