Latest Blog Article: ICN E-Newsletter - October 24, 2014 - New IC Treatment Guidelines Released, Clinical Trial, Research & Clinic News

Cipro vs. Bactrim for UTI?

Hello - I have had a UTI for a long time but unfortuantely let it going thinking it was my "usual" IC flare. I went for a Culture last week and they called me finally on Monday to say I was positive and put me on Bactrim for 7 days. Today another nurse called me and told me that my results were positive (which I knew) and that they are putting me on Cipro for 10 days. I explained to her I was on Bactrim and she said to stop taking them and start the Cipro. She rushed me off the phone and now I wonder why they switched me or if they goofed. I'm still in pain and I know the UTI did not go away. I'm getting some back pain and hope this did not go into my kidneys. Is Cipro for Kidney Infections? Does anyone know why this would happen so I don't have to call them back? When I asked the first nurse originally if it was from E-Coli she said yes. Who knows anymore................................. I hope this goes away.
    Sandy

I found the cipro works better . I can not take bactrim because of an allergic reaction. Yes cipro works for kidney infections as well. I had many of them.

Thank You

Thank you Emily for your response. It helps so much to have this website and I'll tell you, I have been having lots of anxiety lately from all these medical issues. I just hope the Cipro works since I am now having severe incontienence. I knew something was wrong but kept getting the run around for months. What a pain. Thank you again for the helpful information.

Sandy

Yw anytime. I just got over an uti and now a flare from the uti. I know what you are going through. I hope you feel better soon.

Another Question

I took a Bactrim at 10 a.m. this morning and now I was put on Cipro instead. Can I take a Cipro now or should I wait? It's almost Noon where I live. Thanks for your help.
    Sandy

I am not sure I would contact your dr or pharmacist and ask him or her.

Thank You

Thanks EmilyRose for all your help. I will check on this but my sister who is a nurse said it's fine and I also checked the paperwork that came with the perscription and it seemed fine to take it.

As I mentioned before, it sure does help to have this website and to be able to learn from so many others with the same issues. Sometimes it's more comforting than dealing with professionals.

Have a great day,
    Sandy

Just wanted to let you know Sandra that Cipro is used for a lot of different things....it is a good antibiotic.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

Thanks

Thanks Katrina -

I think I'm finally starting to feel better. I hope.

Sandy

Here's what probably happened: When your tests showed an infection, you were put on one of the more common antibiotics used to treat UTI's. However, it's very possible that a culture and sensitivity test wasn't available yet --- and when that test completed, it showed that the other antibiotic would be more effective for the specific bacteria infecting your bladder.

It's not unusual for a physician to prescribe a wide-spectrum antibiotic for a painful infection while waiting for test results.

There isn't any particular antibiotic that is "best" --- it depends on the bacteria involved.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

Many Thanks.

Thanks Donna for that helpful info. I think you are right and that is exactly what happened. Have a good evening.
    Sandy:woohoo:

No longer active
    Sandra - You did mention that you did a culture right the first time around. They should have seen the sensivity test and called you and put you on Bactrim? Secondly they called you again and put you on Cipro which I find weird and I hate how they rush you off the phone. However, I don't think it's a good idea to stop Bactrim just like that and go to Cipro if you were halfway through it. Umm, oh yeah what you said related to me alot, when you said you let it go thinking it's your usual IC flare because thats what I did until I had culture done when I finally got another uro and I found out its no flare, it's bacteria multiplied!!!

Ask for the culture report to be sure. How are you feeling on the antibiotics? Furthermore, if you have had infections for a long time, like what I'm going through I don't think your going to get better with a short course of antibiotics.

Good luck though.

Thank You

Thank you Vampireness - I agree with you. I found it strange that they called me to stop the Bactrim. I did take their advice and started on Cipro. I'm going back today because I don't feel better. I think (like you) that I let this go for a long, long time thinking it was my IC and now I have a bad UTI that may not clear up with just one dose of antibiotics. I hate this IC and all that goes with it. I hope you have a nice day! Sandy

No longer active
    Hey Sandra

how you doing these days? Although I know with the emails lol

Thread Information