IC Friend

Pubic area pain?

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I last posted. I was diagnosed with IC about two years ago, although my current urologist (he is a sort-of IC expert who has been interviewed on this site in the past) thinks I may not actually have it because my symptoms these days are so different than typical IC symptoms. I've also been diagnosed with some sort of pelvic floor disorder and have been through physical therapy for it.

My most recent confusing symptom is pain in my pubic area and I am very curious as to whether anyone else here has experienced this. I've not yet discussed this one with my urologist, but I plan to. The pain feels as though my pubic hair is being pulled at and is sore. But there is no redness, iritation, etc., in this area, and my gynocologist said it's probably nothing (very reassuring!). It hurts more when touched and is worse in a few areas. It does not seem better/wose after/before urination, eating, etc.

Has anyone experienced this or anything like it? It is very confusing and it is so frustrating not being able to find anything online about this symptom. I realize it may not be IC-related but just thought I'd ask. I look forward to reading any thoughts you might have!

By the way, I may have posted about this before, but I also have intense pain in the morning before urinating when I have to urinate badly. I can avoid it by setting the alarm to wake up in the middle of the night to go, but this really does not seem normal. The pain stretches from my chest to my pelvis and can linger for hours even after the intial relief of urinating. Sound familiar to anyone? I have told both my urologist and gynocologist about this but neither knew what it could be. My general practitioner prescribed anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer for it, but I want to know the root of the problem -- the pain is intense and can make it hard to even get up. The pain also makes it hurt to breathe in or talk before I urinate. Someone before mentioned perhaps it is IC or a bladder spasm. ? Thanks!

IC Friend
    I experience severe bladder spasms and often experience similar symptoms to what you are describing. I find the muscle relaxants and not sitting down as the best way to deal with the pain when it does get bad.

Alternatively it could be a condition called vulvodynia or vestibulitis. Although you describe your symptoms, the main symptom of this is an intense burning sensation, I don't know if this is what happens with you. If it is then a drug called amitryptilline is the best way in which to control the pain.

Kip

I've heard of people with problems with their pudendal nerve (or vulvodynia) complaining of the hair-pulling feeling.

Amy (Mrs. B)

I get the hair pulling feeling, and it seems to randomly come and go. I'm not sure about diet triggers, but I have discovered that if my intestines/bowels are irritated in any way, the genital pain is also there. Is it possible that you are dealing with some intestitinal pain? If the pain is higher up like you described, it could be intestinal in nature.

I have also read that vulvodynia/vestibulitis and the hair pulling feeling often go together.

Also, in the past when I've had a yeast infection, it has hurt up front.

It can be so miserable. Hope you feel better soon! I'll keep you in my prayers.

I have the same symptoms and have found some relief from Lyrica and Cymbalta, since they target the nerve ending aspect of IC. I know it's painful (not to mention one more aggravating thing to deal with!). I've often wondered at times if I may have small kidney stones that make the feeling that starts high in my shoulder blades and goes all the way to my urethrea. It seems like as once this starts, it has to kinda work it's way down over several days or as long as a couple of weeks. The uro said it's very possible that it could be tiny stones. Just wondering, Walton54 (if you don't mind answering)...did you have any pelvic surgeries before your IC symptoms started? Mine started the day I had a c-section (my bladder was also nicked). Just wondering . I hope you can figure out exactly what your symptoms stem from. If you do, I'd be very interested to hear the cause. Hope you feel better soon...
    Elle

ICN Member

Simple Answer

Dont listen to any of these non-sence answers. Your condition is so simple to explain and understand that the smartest person in the world is to dumb to figure this out. Here is my answer.. Im pretty sure your pubic hairs are to long(like mine) Ill say about 1 to 3 inches long. simply trim or shave your pubic hairs and your cured. Not everything is resolved with druging("Medicading") yourslef with drugs("MEDICINE"). Don't always listen to the system of Doctors(The Governments). ***Simply trim or shave*** the truth will set you free... ^_^ peace

ICN Member
    Ok so, I know this is an older post but I thought I'd put in my insight anyway, seeing as I've been suffering on and off with pain around my pubic hair for years. I don't have IC but it seems the pain in that area is fairly normal. I would suggest making sure your pubic hair is either short, or non-existent, and be sure to wash the area once or twice a day. For me the combination of shaving and washing on a daily basis pretty much got rid of that problem. Most of the time, I find the pain to come about when my hair gets longer, and it gets even worse when my period comes around. So, I make sure my hair is very short or shaved and wash every day. Poof! Pain is gone

ICN Member
    Yes I have that pain it almost feels like theres swollen glands or something down there and yes I have had the pain clear up into my chest and was going in that day for a bladder treatment and I told the nurse about it and she said it was probably my bladder and sure enough I got the treatment and it eased the pain. The pubic pain I think goes along with some part of the IC I'm just not sure what part whether it is part of the urethra pain or part of the vulvodynia. I was just diagnosed in April so we are still trying to figure it all out. I have had the pubic pain for probably about two years now at least. My IC is autoimmune so I'm not sure what all is being affected. I think I may have to call my Dr's tomorrow and see if maybe I can try amitriptyline because the pain pills are only working temporary and I'm taking them to quick according to the Dr's and I'm in horrible pain most of the time I feel like a nuisance to my family because I can't hardly walk across the floor most let alone do anything because of the pain. If you've got any other suggestions as far as meds that might work please let me know. I'm desperate here!

ICN Member
    NO it is not that simple I have had the pain with no hair there so it is not hair pulling.
    Sorry to burst your bubble! It could however be something like an infected hair follicle but I'm pretty sure mine is related to my IC.

ICN Member
    I get the hair pulling sensation quite often and am not diagnosed with I.c. For some people it could be more than just long hair like in your case. But I've had it pretty often and shaving or trimming does help. But I wo der if its just a problem with the way hair groves in as I'm pretty sure I've had it when the hair was just starting to grow in.ive also been plagued with shaving irritation and lots of ingrowns my whole shaving life. Thicker hair could be a factor as well. The pain with peeing, I'm not sure if its the same thing, but if I don't go prior to bed and have a full bladder I wake up with horrible pains is liar to yours Nd in the back. I also feel like I'm crunched up. I believe it's just from not peeing and probably not the same thing as you?

Thank God u brought this up.......I as well have it and was too embarrassed to mention it..........at least others have this and it's not in my head. I will continue to read what is being said. My burning is so bad u would think It was on fire and the hairs would b gone........little joke to, although no joking matter.
    Love the person, hate the sin!

Thread Information