Latest Blog Article: Creating an IC Friendly Thanksgiving

Can vulvodynia include urine frequency?

Hi, been to drs three times now to try and establish my problem. i started needing the toilet more frequently this last week - Dr did tests no UTI - as i suffer anxiety said it was related. However, i am experiencing burning and irritation in that area but when examined there was nothing - I also feel very tender. I am now starting to have lower back pain too - don't know if this is from holding back from using the toilet. there are times when I can go for 3 hours without needing the toilet, then when the burning starts i feel I have to go. I asked the dr about IC but she said it is not likely to be that. Getting a bit desperate now as i have no answers - scared and worried that I will never have a normal life again - a bit depressed too but that is due to the anxiety. The dr thinks it is all anxiety related as suffer health anxiety. i just don't know what to think at the moment.

It is a good thing that you are catching the problem early and looking for the cause. That is an optimistic thing! It gives a lot of promise for treatment and resuming a normal life. I think that since the urethra and the vulva and vagina are all close together, the irritation of vulvodynia could cause urine frequency or a feeling like you have to go. Prayers you'll get clear answers soon. You may want to try another dr. for a second opinion.

Thanks for replying, I just want this thing to go away, never known that something could be so uncomfortable. I am so determined to get to the bottom of this but because i am off with anxiety (slowly slipping into depression at the moment) the drs seem to think it is all a result of anxiety. i know anxiety can cause frequent urination, I know it can cuse burning and tingling in nerve endings, perhaps it is all anxiety related BUT I do want it investigated as I feel like grot and with no treatment for the burning etc. I just feel that I'm leaving it get a grip. I am praying very hard at the moment - have to hang on to my faith but boy it is hard.

I'm sending you hugs

Just to let you know

Hi, thanks for support and info her. Just to let you know i went back to Dr today, a different one, she listened and insisted that i took another urine test. This time it was positive - one antibiotic later and I feel soo much better, no urgency, frequency greatly reduced, i don't need to go as much anymore. I have used heat pads on my back and front as the pain was still bad this morning but it has really eased off. The burning etc has decreased too. Thanks for the prayers and support.

ICN Member
    Dayz
    I'm glad you got a second opinion. It's funny huh, when you're almost glad you have an infection! At least it's something that can be diagnosed and treated. I'm glad you're feeling better. Cold packs between the legs can also help relieve that burning feeling. Hope you're 100% better soon.
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

Thank you

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. Still not back to normal yet - too early i guess seen as I've had this infection for two weeks and no treatment. Burning comes and goes, worse after I've been to the toilet. Up once in night then 7 hrs without the toilet overnight. A bit more relaxed, but still anxious, how long will it take etc? The urgency and frequency is coming and going now too, sometimes it'll be an hour, then three hours. I'm drinking loads of water to try and flush out the bugs. I have eaten today, lost 5lbs in the last two weeks, not eaten much for last few days. Anyway I still have three more days of anti-biotics to go. Take care, your in my paryers

ICN Member
    Dayz
    Many doctors will try to tell us it's all in our heads. Almost everyone here has had that experience at some point, from ignorant doctors, or drs who just don't want to deal with a difficult-to-diagnose patient. If you suffer from anxiety, that does not necessarily mean that your symptoms (IC or Vulvodynia) are a result of that. I think it is very normal to be anxious when you don't know what's going on and don't have a complete and accurate diagnosis and treatment plan yet. I know I was...see my signature below! Anxiety, IC, vulvodynia are three different conditions. It is very sad that doctors send us on our way making us think it's all in our head. Talk about setting you up for MORE anxiety, huh?
    Symptoms started Nov 2003.
    Diagnosed Nov 2004.
    In remission since Aug 2009.

Favorite quote: "Moderation kills." ~ Dr Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr.

Dayz,

Don't worry yet! Sometimes when I actually have a bladder infection (and not just stupid IC acting up), it can take the entire course of antibiotics before I feel better. My mom is the same way, and her bladder is normal.

I hope you feel back to normal in no time! Thank God for antibiotics, huh?

Amy (Mrs. B)

Thank you so much for that encouraging post - I was really desperate this morning. The burning sensation all over down below - is that normal with an infection - still scared its vulvodynia or vaginitis, dr says so sign of redness/swelling so can't be yeast. Still nipping to the toilet more often than I'd like but backache a lot better

Have tried an emulsifying ointment on the burning area and it seems to have reduced the feeling quite considerably. Still feel as though I'm leaking a little at times but then i'm now really sure. Is this common with a UTI?

ICN Member

urinary frequency

Hi: I was going to tell you that when my vulvar pain is flaring, I get urinary urgency and/or frequency without an infection. Luckily, that hasn't happened lately. I'm glad you were properly treated for the UTI and are feeling better.

Thread Information