Latest Blog Article: Is Interstitial Cystitis Caused by Anger? No!

Enablex - side effects

Hi, I know this isn't an antihistimine but I couldn't find where else in this forum I could discuss this. I've started taking Enablex for about 5 days now and I have also had significant insomnia during this time. I also get up a lot more to go to the bathroom at night than I ever did before. Has anyone else had this side effect? I checked the drug's official site but couldn't find anything on insomnia.

Hey, I have started on a 1-week sample of Detrol La and then I will try a 1-week sample of Enablex. So far with Detrol I have had super dry eyes. I'll let you know how I feel about Enablex next week. lol.

I wonder why there is no section for 'antispasmodics' under oral treatments. I'm pretty sure this is a common treatment option. I don't think it's going to help me because I had tried detrol two years ago when I first got diagnosed. I told my doctor that and he sd to try again. I AM SO SICK OF KNOWING MORE ABOUT MY
    IC THAN DOCTORS. GRRRR.

Is Enablex helping your symptoms? Also, if Enablex is causin insomnia you should try taking benedry because that helps GREATLY with IC symptoms for me and it makes me a tiny bit drowsy ( I heard it makes most people VERY drowsy) but the two together might counteract!

Good luck!

ICN Member
    I have been on Enablex for my IC for almost a year now...Its worked really really well for me up until a few days ago when I started a flare...I have not had one in so long I forgot how bad they can be..So now I am really wondering if the Enablex is still working or what? I have been under some MAJOR stress here lately though so I am thinking that is the cause of this flare...My major side affect with enablex is dry mouth...Anyway hope you get along with it...Snooks

ICN Member

Arrow Enablex, Detrol, Vesicare (flomax?)

I think we need a new thread for these drugs (but maybe flomax is different) - they are not anti-histamines per say, but they are drying. They are for incontinence and overactive bladder with a strong urge to go. Anyway my doctor just gave me some samples of Vesicare to try and I am a bit scared of the retention side effect or other side effects. Has anyone tried Vesicare yet? PV
    42 years IC. 2013 tried liposome instillations at California Stem Cell TC and the pain I guess from the catheter was too much. I tried 3 times. I am going to stick with trying a few old medications for now - hyomax and try vaginal valium. I still think herbs are so much safer than drugs.(I took an overview course a few years ago.) But there is so much little research on herbal remedies for this complex disease and people in pain need help as soon as possible, therefore RX drugs are necessary. I myself was trying elmiron (after cystoprotek and aloe vera did not seem to coat the bladder for me) Back to herbs, if you think that your IC is caused by histamines and allergies, etc, there are many researched herbs and herb formulas for that type of thing so perhaps that may be a path for you. But since IC is so complex, those herbs may not help. Perhaps if you think you are getting infections, there may be herbs that could deal with chronic, drug resistance problems but you would need some professional guidence. I believe I keep inflammation down by taking cucurmin extract, and other anti-inflammatory herbs - there are many good ones. You SHOULD find some that agree with you and your medication protocol if possible.

ICN Member
    I have taken Enablex 7.5 mg and did not have any noticeable side effects. The dry mouth or constipation if I had it all was very mild. Enablex is different because it works only on the bladder muscle and not on the whole system like Detrol. I did well on it but got away from using it when I started Elavil 25mg at bedtime for night pees. The Elavil seemed to stay with me the next day and I didnt feel bladder pressure or urgency.
    Sammie

Thread Information