Latest Blog Article: Special Orange County IC Support Group Event - Sept 21, 2014

I'm a newbie; UTI symptoms with period?

Hello all,

I have been having some rather strange symptoms, and being the wonderfully informative group that you are, I was wondering if you could give me any insight into what they could mean or if they indicate IC. Thank you for taking the time to read this, I know it's lengthy.

I'm 21 years old with a history of UTI's. I had my first one when I was very young, which led to a rather severe kidney infection, but from that period on I was UTI free until I was about 17. Since then, I would say I get anywhere from 1-3 UTI's a year. I am aware of ways to ward them off and I take all the precautionary measures to keep them at bay (i.e. no thongs, urinating after intercourse, copious amounts of pure cranberry juice, etc.) and I feel like for the most part, these measures have reduced my UTI's to about once a year.

Having had a number of UTI's, I have become very accustomed to that "vague" feeling you get right before the more painful symptoms set in. What is strange, is I seem to be getting this same vague feeling right before and during my period. This has happened twice. Last month I thought it indicated a UTI, so I was put on Bactrim (which has cleared my infections in the past), however even after five days, Bactrim had done nothing for this strange feeling and my frequency of peeing. Never was there any pain when I would urinate, but I would still feel pressure and the slight urge to urinate even after I had just gone. I had a different set of antibiotics prescribed to me, and within a few days my symptoms and any vague feelings had subsided. This also corresponded to the end of my period.

It is now one month later and my period will arrive any day. And exactly like last month, I have this vague feeling again. There is no pain, just an uncomfortable feeling that keeps me awake at night. I am becoming very disheartened as this feeling is just as uncomfortable and annoying as a UTI. I am wondering whether it has anything to do with my period, and if in fact I never had a UTI last month at all.

Does anyone have symptoms like this? I have been researching IC and I am nervous that this could be early symptoms of it. I will be visiting a urologist over the summer when I get back home, but for now I am in school and am desperately searching for answers. whew! thanks to all who read this far!

I'm at school. . . away from family, friends, and loved ones :(

Me too!

oh my gosh I couldn't have said that better myself. I have been going through the exact same thing. I haven't been diagnosed with IC yet either, however I am on medication to help it. Last month about a week before my period I got the same vague feeling you are talking about and it went away about a few days after my period ended, and now I'm due for my period again and JUST today, the vague UTI like feeling has come back. Just a few hours ago in fact. I'm also in college and I'm waiting til summer to see a urologist and get more tests done. As to your question of whether or not this is early signs of IC? I'm not too sure, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Current Medications:
    Elmiron
    Vesicare
    Zoloft
    Allegra
    Imipramine

Current Diagnosis:
    WHO THE HELL KNOWS!

Wow, thanks for the fast reply.

Sorry about your (our) symptoms, but good to know that someone else is experiencing this. Apart from the symptoms around your period, do you have any other symptoms... at times other than your period? I feel perfectly normal at all other times (except for when I get UTI's) except I feel that I may urinate more frequently than the normal person (it doesn't interfere with my daily life, but I do have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, most nights.)

I can normally sleep through the whole night. Around December of last year I noticed that drinks seemed to be passing through me way more quickly than normal. Right now I'm on vesicare to deal with frequent urination. . . and from Jan-March I had the feeling you're describing all the time non-stop. However, in the beginning on march it went away for a few weeks, then started a week before my period, then went away after my period and hasn't come back until now, which is about a few days before I'm due. Other than that, I don't have any pain or burning or anything. Just the feeling lurking around down under that I need to urinate, even though I don't have anything to let go. I'm hoping the urologist I set myself up with for the summer will be able to figure more out about this and make it so I can feel normal all of the time.

Current Medications:
    Elmiron
    Vesicare
    Zoloft
    Allegra
    Imipramine

Current Diagnosis:
    WHO THE HELL KNOWS!

Hmm, have you perhaps stopped taking birth control recently? I ask this because I stopped taking my birth control in january and was wondering if there is any correlation between this and my symptoms. I've read a few posts saying that those who went off of birth control had "flare ups" a few months after they stopped.

It's possible that what you have is interstitial cystitis, but not necessarily so. One thing many ICers do report is worsening symptoms related to menstrual cycles.

There is one thing you might try right now and that is to put yourself on an IC diet --- it can't hurt and it just might help. You'll find diet information in the Patient Handbook (link is at the top of this page). If you do have IC, the worst possible thing you can ingest is cranberry --- we call it the "acid bomb" and it causes pain for most people with IC. Blueberries are a good substitute and almost always IC safe. At the very least, I suggest you stop drinking sodas, coffee, and tea.

I hope you feel better soon.

Warm hugs,
    Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

I've never been on birth control actually, so I'm assuming that has nothing to do with it. Also. . . for me, food doesn't seem to effect whether or not I have symptoms. The only thing that seems to effect it is just my menstruel cycle.

Current Medications:
    Elmiron
    Vesicare
    Zoloft
    Allegra
    Imipramine

Current Diagnosis:
    WHO THE HELL KNOWS!

ICN Member

Unhappy Follow up?!

I currently am prone to getting UTI's as well. I get them at least 1-2 times a year. I recently had a UTI and my period came later and I had an intense burning feeling inside and out.. I was wondering if either of you ended up having IC, and what your Urologist said about your symptoms.

Thread Information