Latest Blog Article: New Bladder Pain Treatment In Development - IC Clinical Trial Seeks Women with Moderate To Severe Bladder Pain
    ICN Member

famotidine/pepcid AC

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried famotidine? It is the generic for pepcid AC and works by blocking histamine production in the stomach. I took it for some indigestion and it seems to be helping my urgency/frequency.

I'd love to know if anyone else has had the same experience? I also read somewhere on line that famotidine/pepcid AC becomes less effective over time (but I've only seen this information once and I usually don't believe anything I read on line unless I see it in a couple of places--and even then I check it out with people who are in the know).

Is anyone else familiar with this medication?

Best wishes to all, littlebear

PS I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on, so I've posted it on the Prelief boards too.

IC Friend
    littlebear - I take pepcid AC for any reflux problems, but never noticed any difference in urgency/frequency. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

I wanted to take Tagamet because of the information I post below, but it interacts with Effexor. But Tagamet and Pepcid are both good options to add on. This is from the ICA site:

"Histamine 2 blockers

Most antihistamines prescribed for allergy and interstitial cystitis are H1 blockers. When histamines bind to the histamine receptors on cells, that produces an allergic reaction. The H1 receptors arenít the only ones that histamines go to, however. They can also bind to H2 receptors, and drugs that block these receptors can also be helpful in calming allergic reactions.

H2 blockers include cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac), nizatidine (Axid), and famotidine (Pepcid). Tagamet and Pepcid are available over the counter. By blocking these H2 receptors in the gut, these medications reduce stomach acid secretions and, thus, stomach pain. Studies with one of these H2 blockers, cimetidine, showed it reduced bladder pain as well, maybe because of the histamine-blocking action. But why it works in IC really isnít so clear. In two small studies (one with 9 and one with 14 patients), Tagamet reduced bladder pain for 40 to 60 percent of the IC patients."
    In Search Of Normal
    IC (Feb 2001):

Pain:
    OxyContin (started 9/06) (dosage still being determined, but working up to 3 tablets (10 mg) twice per day, for a total of 6)
    Effexor (150 mg/day; I was at 200 mg per day but backed off due to side effects; this has helped reduce pain a little but enough to improve my life)
    Robaxin (muscle relaxant, started 2/24/06; only as needed rarely for when muscles get tight due to pain)
    Elmiron (300 mg/day)

Ulcerative colitis (Dec 2002, mild):
    Asacol (6/day)
    Senna Plus for constipation

Depression:
    Prozac (40 mg day)

Previously tried but didn't work:
    Elavil (worked well for pain but could not take urinary retention side effect)
    Pamelor (same as Elavil)
    Flomax (took when I was on Pamelor)
    Tylenol 3 (has codeine; I changed to Vicodin which worked better and did not cause constipation)

ICN Member
    Thanks so much for your reply rosesitty--the fact that it hasn't bothered you is good for me to know (how often do you take it and how much? has your body gotten used to it and have you had to increase the dosage at all because of that?).

The info you passed on is really amazing ISONormal! This may start to explain why felt that it helped my symptoms.

I hope that all is well with you both. Thanks again.

Best wishes, little bear

IC Friend
    littlebear - no, I take it as needed. Haven't had to increase dosage, but I also don't use it every day. ISO - that's very interesting info. I'll have to sit and ponder on that awhile. I'm just tired of taking so many drugs...as is everyone!

I also take Pepcid AC daily. I take the max (2 a day) but my dr told me I could take 4 per day. It helps with acid reflux, but I have not noticed anything better with my IC that I can link to it.

I also take Amitriptlyne, Vistaril and Elmiron.
    Janice

IC Symptoms since 04/05
    Finished NIDDK Amitriptyline Study 11/05

Current Meds:
    Elmiron 400mg (since 12/13/05)

ICN Member
    Thanks so much rosesitty and Janice!

Best wishes to you both, littlebear

Thread Information