Latest Blog Article: Donations for IC Research & IC Awareness Month

Vagina Smells Like A Dead Mouse! Help!!!!!

Okay, this is REALLY embarrassing! But I gotta ask somebody, and since I am not about to ask this to anyone I know in the "real world", because I'd be too embarrassed, you guys get the honors! Here it goes: I am having a problem lately of my vagina having this really foul odor. This is disgusting, but it smells like a dead animal. LITERALLY! It smells like a dead mouse in a nursing home. It doesn't itch. It just stinks, even right after a bath or shower, no matter what soaps or other products I use. I am too embarrassed to ask my dr about this. Please give me some kind of feedback on what could possibly be causing this. The only things that have changed lately is I had a nerve block 3 weeks ago, and I haven't been able to pee. I have been having to cath most of the time. The few times I have been able to go on my own, it is just barely a trickle. I also started daily pain meds 1 week before the nerve block. (Kadian and Lortabs.) Please give me any thoughts or feedback you can. I am very embarrassed by this. I would be WAY too embarrassed to ask my dr about this one!
    Last edited by ihurttoo; 03-13-2006 at 06:40 PM.

ICN Member
    I have a foul smell as well. I guess there is dead, unhealthy tissue in our bladders which I think causes this foul smell. I know it is quite unpleasant but I think that's what an ic stinky bladder smells like. LOL'

Marsi4

I think that you need to contact your Dr.'s office. There are several different medical problems that can cause a vaginal odor. If you are too embarrassed to discuss this with your Dr., call the office and consult with a nurse or nurse's practitioner. No need to be embarrassed. People who work in the medical offices have probably treated other patients with this problem. I hope that you find some help soon, Mare

IC Friend
    Amy, sometimes a vaginal infection, not yeast, will have a bad odor, but it's usually fishy not mousy smelling. I'd ask your doc, he's probably heard it all!

You could have an overgrowth of natural bacteria, similar to a yeast infection, but it is the other bacteria that is naturally in our vaginas. I believe it is called "vaginitis or gardinella"???? I had this one time after a round of antibitiotics, it smelled *fishy*. You have to see your doctor. There are meds that can stabalize the healthy bacterias.

Hugs and Wishes for Pain FREE days!!,
    Kara

www.loveforearth.net ~reducing plastic waste one bag at a time~

Facebook: Kara Kaiser
    Twitter: Love4Earth

Me and my Guccigirl... she helps me through those painful hours!

I absolutely agree that you need to see your doctor and find out what's going on.

Donna
    Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    http://www.icnsales.com for US & Canada
    http://www.icnshop.com for all others

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/patient-r...on/#icfoodlist

You'll find my story at: http://www.ic-network.com/conditions...tories/page/6/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool
    .....My Meggie.....

ICN Member
    Your gynocologist will give you medication to take care of that.

I agree with the other ladies: you should see your doctor.

Don't worry, I'm sure your doctor has witnessed much more disturbing things in their life!
    Last edited by green_the_fish; 03-14-2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo

Medical Conditions: interstitial cystitis, bipolar disorder (type I), hypothryoidism, tachycardia (chronic)

Other Occasional Health Problems: blepharitis and allergies

Current IC Treatments: just avoidance of triggers

Current BP I Treatments: Seroquel and lithium orotate

Current Thyroid Treatments: Natural Sources Raw Thyroid

Current Tachycardia Treatments: Metoprolol

Past IC Treaments:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen
    Hydroxyzine
    Elmiron
    Urocit-K
    pelvic floor therapy
    avoidance of flare-causing beverages

cystoscopy with hydrodistention
    Detrol LA
    MSM Sulfur Dietary Supplement
    Prelief
    Neurontin
    Pyridium
    adherence to the traditional IC diet

Elavil
    DMSO
    Ditropan XL
    Levbid
    & the herb dandelion, although the tea tasted good

You could have a vaginal bacterial infection "Bacterial Vaginosis" (BV). It can be caused by many different bacteria and may have a "fishy" odor, or just an odd odor, like you've described. It may or may not include other symptoms. Gynos treat this type of infection very often, it's not something to be ashamed about. Very sanitary women get this for reasons not well known or understood, but it is a common condition that gynos come accross often. You should deffinately see your doctor. He/she can treat it with antibiotics spacific for BV. I think a lot of women go undiagnosed and untreated for these types of infections because they are to embarrassed to discuss it with their doctor. It's really not good to go untreated because of embarrassment, there is no reason to be! Doctors are very familiar with this and know that it effects many "very clean" and respectable women, which is why it is so poorly understood why it occurs. HAVE IT CHECKED OUT. Good luck! Maybe it's nothing more than another unexplainable IC symptom, but you shouldn't just assume!

G.

One time when that happened to me what had happened was I forgot and left a tampon inside. Having a blonde moment I guess.

But as an RN working in an OB ward who sees vaginal infections constantly, it's just not a big deal and the odor is going to be far more noticeable to you than the dr./nurse. You really don't want to just leave this. You need to get checked asap.

Thank you all for your replies. You have made me feel better, (like a bit less of a weirdo!) I see my gyn next week. I will try to work up the nerve to ask about it. (He also treats my IC with the instills and all, so he may notice it by himself.) But if not, I'll throw the sheet over my head, and go ahead and ask. Thank you again for your replies.

Thread Information