Latest Blog Article: Cyclosporine Study Seeks Men and Women Who Have Failed Previous IC/BPS Therapies
Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Yeast affects IC

(Presidents Note - This posting received received our presidents award for it's practical tips and suggestions it provides to patients struggling with yeast! Bravo Katrina!)

I got a huge amount of requests for this so here it is:

Yeast and Interstitial Cystitis Connection

There are a lot of thoughts concerning the connection between Interstitial Cystitis (IC) and Yeast. We are sure that many patients with IC complain of yeast infection symptoms and when a yeast infection is present it can often cause an IC flare. It is not known whether yeast is a possible cause of IC. Nonetheless, it is one aspect worth informing patients about
    Yeast produces a toxin, which is a bladder irritant. It doesn’t matter much where the yeast is in a patient’s body for the toxin to bother their bladder. Thus yeast infections are an aspect of IC that bother many and can cause bad flare ups. Most IC patients have had numerous antibiotics so we know that a number have yeast.
    I am not directing this only to women, although women are often more aware of their yeast infections. I do know some men diagnosed with IC that were helped by probiotics. Some points of avoiding yeast may pertain only to women. Everyone should look into the possibility of yeast within their body, affecting their symptoms.
    One possible theory as the cause of IC is that after yeast infections (which we know women get many of) the yeast, or the toxins the yeast emits, imbed themselves deep into the bladder making them undetectable. This theory is not given much merit anymore as far as yeast alone being the cause. It does stand though that yeast may give an allergic reaction that causes inflammation in some individuals.
    The toxins released by yeast can be a problem if there is too much yeast anywhere. It can bother some even if the amount is normal. For that reason, treating yeast can be an aspect of treatment for IC that any patient with IC may want to try at some point.
    Even if it does not help a patient’s IC to treat yeast when they do not have a yeast infection (vaginal yeast), when a vaginal yeast infection is present it can cause a big flare up. For me, a yeast infection causes me to have burning during urination before I notice any other symptom. It also can cause the pelvic floor muscles to spasm. Together that can mean a lot of pain. Reports from other patients have called a vaginal yeast infection their worse flare. Read the poll on Yeast Infections in IC patients
    A yeast infection can cause urgency, frequency and urethral burning. It may also cause fatigue, abdominal bloating and gas. With that list an IC patient has good reason to try to prevent a yeast infection!
    So why do so many women with IC get yeast infections so frequently that they are on constant treatment for them? The frequent antibiotics may be one factor. The problems that each bacterial and yeast infection causes us, may make us seek more treatment than average. Many of us seem to have a weakened immune system. Also since hormonal imbalance seems to be another factor in IC, which makes women more vulnerable to yeast.
    For that reason just being aware of the different options in treating yeast infections is important for many IC patients.
    • Probiotics
    • Nystatin
    • Diflucan
    • AZO Yeast
    • Boric Acid and Aci-gel (These are only IC friendly inserted in the vagina when there is a yeast infection and can be a risk otherwise)
    • Herbal anti yeast supplements such as Garlic or oregano oil.
    Probiotics are friendly bacteria. Most people eat them in yogurt to help yeast infections. They are a great way to avoid getting a yeast infection and can be bought in supplement form. They come in many different strengths, and the refrigerated non-dairy kinds are considered best. It is important to mention them with IC patients since because antibiotics usually kill friendly bacteria probiotics are a necessary part of treatment. They can prevent you from exchanging a bacterial infection for a yeast infection. You may notice that I did not mention Monistat. Most non-prescription vaginal creams are not IC friendly and are irritants for IC patients.
    Many patients with IC are vulnerable to other problems as well and for that reason I think it is important to mention that it may not be a yeast infection. Other things that mimic a yeast infection such as bacterial vaginosis, vulvodynia, and vulvar vestibulitis.
    IF you are certain it is a vaginal yeast infection and you are still desperate for more help with symptoms there is some self-help that may work. Yeast likes warm, moist, places so keep dry and try ice.
    • Try 100% cotton underwear
    • Avoid hot baths
    • Dry well after baths, showers, sex, and such.
    • Wear skirts (with no underwear while at home).
    • Change towels daily.
    • Avoid tampons
    • Cleanse the vaginal area morning and night.
    • Always use unscented white soap to cleanse.
    • Don’t wear tight clothing
    • Avoid yeast, sugar, refined carbohydrates, and colorings in your diet.
    • For the oral thrush change you tooth brush
    There are many aspects as to how yeast affects an IC patient’s life, more so if you are a woman. Everyone should pay attention to yeast in their diet, and may want to try yeast treatments as part of their IC treatment. Yeast has been a big aspect of IC for both men and women. Since yeast can be anywhere in the body and still affect the bladder, if you have increased symptoms when you eat dairy, yeast, sugar, or refined carbohydrates, yeast may be increasing your symptoms. If you have a lot of gas, be a sign you have yeast in your body. Some of you may already know that yeast is a problem for you. Cleansing your body of yeast is hard but something you may want to think about.
    Last edited by icnmgrjill; 02-21-2006 at 09:32 AM.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

Thanks Katrina Great post
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

excellent post Katrina!

This has so much information. Thank you!
    Minds are like parachutes-they ony function when they are open.
    -Thomas DeWar-

ICN Newbie Volunteer

*ICN Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Thank you! That means a lot
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

Ironic that I was off work for four days last week due to a yeast infection. I have a resistent candida glabrata, the result of doing extensive antibiotics several years ago foolishly. When it flares, it IS AGONY! I agree, not only is the pain as bad, if not worse, than an IC flare... but it also triggers bladder spasms, frequency and then some.

Why did it flare?? Honestly, I just started eating alot of sugars and carbos again... due to some birthdays earlier this month in my family. If I have ice cream more than a few days in a row, it almost always flares the yeast.

Luckily, I was able to take diflucan for several days which stopped it. But, what frustrates me more than anything else is that any cream that I try to use (including the mandatory nystatin that I use on the outside) creates massive burning of my perineal area. It felt like I'd been scrubbed raw with a steel wool pad. Once I stop the creams... it takes a few days to go away. So... for me.... I find that I'm exquisitely sensitive to creams.

I agree with all of the self help tips and would also add one. I use a perineal wash bottle (filled with cold water) to rinse myself off everytime I use the restroom. I find that the tissues get so irritated by urine and toilet paper, that I can burn for minutes afterwards. But, by rinsing off with water and then patting dry, the area is much less traumatized and the burning is much reduced.

I can't say that I know of any direct relationship between yeast and it's ability to cause IC. I truly doubt that it can. But, it certainly creates a secondary, and extremely painful, infection in those traumatized tissues.

To everyone else struggling with yeast, I wish you well!
    Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

GREAT POST as usual Katrina you always go that ex mile.
    Thanks
    Rhonda
    Medicine taken daily or as needed:
    1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
    2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
    3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
    4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
    5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
    5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
    6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
    7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

ICN Member
    Great advice, Katrina! Thanks!

Dream with the feathers of angels stuffed beneath your head - Clutch

IC, PFD, IBS, Fibromyalgia, MPS, Migraines, Allergies, Scoliosis, Bi-polar, Vulvodynia......

ICN Member

Re: yeast

There is a new medication that is now over the counter. It is called RepHresh. It is a vaginal lubricant that helps to maintain vaginal pH. This can also help with those who are prone to yeast infections. I have tried this and it works very well. It is very new but Walgreens and CVS pharmacies are supposed to carry it. You can also buy this from the internet.

ICN Member

Topic cream for yeast

Great post Katrina, thanks for sharing.
    When I have a really bad yeast infection the only thing that soothes my poor urethra and vulva is Nystatin and Triamcinolone acetonide cream .
    Also the post that mentioned taking several Diflucans is right on. A pox on the stupid docs that give you one 150 mg Diflucan and think that is enough for a bad yeast infection.
    I got so discusted over this nonsense @#$%^&*
    Sure feels like that yeast goes right up into the bladder.
    Sammie
    Last edited by Katrina; 02-22-2006 at 03:19 PM.

just read this - so you can have frequency and burning with yeast infections - had no idea!!

I always have burning with a yeast infection...first symptom I notice before the itching! I hardly ever let it get bad enough to go past that...but if it did yes the discomfort could lead to spasms (frequency) and could possibly cause you to be tighter causing retention which leads to frequency.....many IC symptoms can get worse because of yeast infection.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

probiotic shopping
    I have been getting some questions about buying a probiotic so I am working on some helpful info.

• Make sure you can get it cold
    • Buy it cold
    • store it cold
    • higher amount of bacteria is better
      figuring out the right dose for you may be a challenge. You may need to work yourself up to a strength to help cleanse your body and than go back down to a maintenance dose.

BRAND NAMES:
    Acidophilase
    American Health.......................approximately 20 billion
    Blackmores
    Country Life..............approximately 3.5 billion
    Culturelle...................Guaranteed at least 10 Billion
    Dan Active
    DDS-Plus.........4 billion
    Eniva................14 billion
    Enzymatic Therapy...................1 billion
    Ethical Nutrients
    Fem Dophilus
    Ferzym
    Flora-Q.........at the time of manufacture, a minimum of 8 billion and by the expiration date at least 4 billion.
    FloraMore.........6 billion
    Ganeden - Primal Defense
    Herbalife
    HLC
    iFLORA...........1.5 billion (too low in my eyes)
    ImmuneEnhancer Arabinogalactan
    In-Liven
    Inner health.....15 billion
    Inner health plus.... 25 billion
    Jarrow.................8 billion
    Kal
    KE-99 Lacto.............10 billion
    Kyo-Dophilus.................1.5 billion (too low in my eyes)
    Lactobacillus Sporogenes
    Longest Living.........1 billion (too low in my eyes)
    MotherNature.com
    Natren
    Natural Factors............10 billion
    New Chapter
    Nutraceutical Sciences Institute (NSI)
    Primal Defense
    Protexin............180 million (too low in my eyes)
    Protract
    Schiff
    Solaray
    Solgar
    Theralac...........20 billion
    ThreeLac
    Topfer Forte
    Ultra Bifidus
    Ultra Dophilus DF............15 billion
    Ultra Flora Plus.........15 billion
    VSL Pharmaceuticals VSL3............ 450 billion
    Wellness Works

Other things to think about: some are made from dairy but have the dairy taken out. Some are of human origin. Most of the strong kinds will come in a powder meant to be disolved in a food...preferably cold. Some will have a capsul choice some come in a liquid.
    Last edited by Katrina; 04-29-2006 at 02:38 PM. Reason: updating
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

ICN Member
    Katrina:
    Excellent, excellent posts. I love the probiotics list and what a great thing to take shopping as it cuts through all the advertisement hype. I have had good results with the FREELAC and probably will try some of the others on your list.
    Every, single miserable IC flareup I have had has been caused by a yeast infection.
    I am now experimenting with REPLENS which is a vaginal moisturizer that keeps the vagina at a normal PH and there by inhibits yeast & bacteria. I have been alternating days with vaginal estrogen cream. So far I have been yeast free for two months.
    I think another poster also mentioned a moisturizer that keeps PH up. You do need estrogen cream as well though if you are menopausal as the moisturizer does not keep the vaginal cells estroginized.
    One thing about Replens is that is causes cells of vaginal wall to slough off which are the old dead cells. This does cause a weird clumping of white matter that could be mistaken for yeast, as it looks curdy, it isnt, just product and cell fallout.
    Sammie

thank you for posting this. the new doctor I'm seeing is convinced that IC is directly linked with yeast overgrowth in the body. I've been taking jarrow-dophilous brand pills for 4 months now, and I haven't felt better since before my IC was diagnosed. ladies (and gentlemen!), please considering trying acidopholous if you haven't yet. it's been my LIFESAVER, and I have returned to a normal life. I thank God my doctor has helped me so much. good luck!
    Allison, 25, living with IC since 2002. Add me on Facebook! (search Allison Jacobs)

Conditions: (known)
    IC, Chronic Pelvic Pain, Neuropathy, Adenomyosis (hysterectomy to "cure" this), Vulvadynia

Medications:
    Elmiron--200 mg twice daily
    Cymbalta--90 mg once daily
    Various pain meds, rotating

Treatments:
    Spinal Nerve Stimulator implanted 5/10, mostly unsuccessful
    Hysterectomy 9/09
    D&C and hysteroscopy 8/08, somewhat helpful
    Mirena IUD began 12/07, unsuccessful
    Lupron Depot 6/07-8/07, unsuccessful
    Hydrodistention 2004, 2007
    Physical therapy 2003-2006

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday."
    John Wayne

That is great news A.J.!!!!!!!! I am ammazed at how well probiotics are helping my Ulcerative pouchitis....if I miss a dose I bleed...but with it normal! I am hoping that my IBS symptoms will all clear up too but finding the right dose right now is a long process. I know I have been able to tollerate more acidic food lately so maybe it is having an affect on my IC ....not sure but tollerating more foods is a great thing to me
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information