Latest Blog Article: New IC Treatments Use Liposomes To Deliver BotoxA Into The Bladder

Question bladder feels swollen

What seems to help when your bladder feels swollen? I recently started Flomax in addition to my other meds and that is helping some....but goodness this swelling, pain and frequency is absolutely horrible right now. Help???!!!!

Mal

Hi Mal,

I've been watching this thread to see if anyone answers because I'd like a solution for this myself! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be of any help to you on this. So far the only thing I've found helpful is to leave my jeans in the closet and wear loose fitting clothing when ever possible.

I wonder what's going on in there that causes this thing we call 'IC belly"? Anybody ever get an explanation from their doctors on the cause?

Vicki

IC belly is usually caused by mass cells....it is similar to an allergy which is why antihistamines or the like usually help. You can check the handbook for other options in antihistamines.
    Over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription medication that counters the activity of histamine. Atarax®, Benadryl® and Vistaril® are examples of antihistamines.
    http://www.remedyfind.com/newsletter...lCystitis.html alternative start for IC I am adding this link because things that can help your immune system may help it with winning the battle or not fighting nothing. I hope that helps!!
    I hope that helps.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

I get ic belly alot myself I find heating pad and my atarax helps me. I am sorry your belly is swollen. I hope you feel better soon.

Ugh... the dreaded IC Belly!! I get it too. I find actually alternating heat and cold can bring the swelling down some (sort of like what they tell you to do after you sprain an ankle or something to bring down the swelling). Other than that, yes, Atarax can really help with that.. the ladies are right
    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

ICN Member
    I know that swollen bladder feeling, like the walls are rubbing together when I walk. It's awful. I'm sorry I don't have suggestions!

If antihistamines don't work these may help.
    Leukotrienes, which are substances produced by some immune system cells and mast cells, promote inflammation. Drugs that block leukotrienes are fairly new and are being used in the treatment of asthma and allergy. They include the prescription medications montelukast (Singulair), zafirlukast (Accolate), and zileuton (Zyflo). Some studies have implicated leukotrienes in inflammation of the bladder in IC. The receptors have been found in the bladder muscle in IC patients. A study of 10 IC patients in Denmark who took Singulair for three months showed significant reductions in frequency and pain.
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

hmmm I get the IC belly at least 1 time a month..my IBS with constipation ALWAYS FLARES around the time if my period.

it feels like my pelvic floor and my bladder are ready to explode I use a hot pack that helps somtimes,I told my Dr about this and he thinks its spasams he prescribed tizanidine I just started it and its not doing a freakin thing.

sorry I am pmsing and flaring and frustrated
    Cyndie

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I found out that I had a UTI, I took levaquin for 7 days, waited a week or so and was still feeling horrible also feeling like my bladder was going to explode. I went back to the doctor and still had a UTI. So I just finished a 10 day cycle of macrobid, but am still having a terrible time with my bladder. I took an over the counter UTI test, last night and found that I no longer have nitrites showing up in my urine but I do have the white blood cells still showing up.

What would you attribute this to? I've never had this hard of a time getting rid of a UTI, and I have been in a wicked flare for over a month now.

What are your thoughts?

Mal H - I am in the same position as you - had a UTI and now in a flare- What I have heard is it takes longer for IC bladders to recover from an infection- some call it post-UTI inflammation. You should hand in a sample though to be sure.
    I have been taking a 1/2 tsp of bicarb in water to help alkanise the urine. Did a UTI home test and it is negative but sometimes these do not work. I've also found a heat pat helps calm the bladder a bit (or just dull the spasms/nerves)

It is not unusual for white blood cells to be in urine with IC. I definatly agree with sweetangel...it takes longer for IC bladders t recover from an Infection and you want to be sure it is gone....also remember that antibiotics can cause yeast infection which are no fun to the bladder either! When You have IC the only way to get a possitive result is to culture and find bacteria...everything else that is a sign of infection can be part of IC....which is why if you use home UTI tests it is a good idea to test yourself when you are feeling good and to have your doctor do that too sometimes to be sure. Even cultures and be wrong sometimes so it can be a struggle.

I sure hope you are doing better soon!!

Some people have post UTI flares...bladder is still hyper from the bacteria and the bacteria did some dammage so their is a need for some relaxing of your body and time to heal. Be careful to follow your diet well in this time and get the rest you need.

Hope to hear your doing better soon!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

Thanks for all the info, guys!!! I did go to my Uro., on Monday and my urine seemed fine then but he sent it off for a culture, just to be sure. He also did an in office cysto and found that the opening of the neck of my bladder was inflamed not to mention the pinpoint bleeding inside my bladder. He said that my cysto looked quite a bit worse than the one I had done in 1999.

Anyway, he put me on Atarax 25 mg. 3x a day in addition to my Elmiron and Imipramine. I honestly could feel a difference after one day of taking the Atarax. Only problem, I'm really sleepy now during the day and my appetite has increased so much.

I hope the atarax helps you. my belly has been swollen also lately.

hopefully you will improve with the Atarax It did help me..and yep I did gain from it too between that and the Elavil..sheesh.

feel better
    Cyndie

Thread Information