Latest Blog Article: Donations for IC Research & IC Awareness Month
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: macrobid

macrobid

Does macrobid prevent uti's? I need imput because I have chronic uti's and kidney infections . I was on bactrim ds for prevention of uti;s and it did not work.

For me, personally.....no. They gave me Macrobid for 4 days after my urodynamics and I STILL got an infection, so now I'm on Bactrim now, but I don't think that is working because I'm not feeling any better! Maybe they didn't prescribe a long enough run w/ the Macrobid. Personally, I think they both stink! But hopefully you will have better luck w/ it.

Kara

I was on bactrim ds as a preventive for my chronic uti's and kidney infection and it did not work for me eithier. I hope it kicks in foryou. I still got infection after infection. I want try macrobid because it is suppose to prevent infections. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks! I will say though, that I did feel better while I was actually ON the macrobid, but as soon as I finished the bladder infection began. ugh. They called me Monday and told me to continue to take the Bactrim. I didn't have any side effects from the Macrobid, it was actually pretty gentle as far as GI symptoms go. I hope it works for you. It's worth a shot!!

Kara

Make sure you have yeast infection medicine . I am running out of choices of antibotics. I am immune to bactrim ds and cipro now I am on levaquin for 10 days.

Oh yeah! The inevitable yeast infection w/ the Bactrim! UGH....I had forgotten about that! lol. Thanks!

I used to take macrobid and it helped but I'm not allergic to it.
    Pam

macrobid is used in the UK to prevent infections. I know the makers of cystistat recommend it after instills. So far, it is the only thing that has worked straight away with me but gave me awwful sickeness and diarrhea - shouldn't have problems on a low does though

Kim...are your uti's cultured? Maybe they can choose a good preventative anti for you determined by what bacteria you have the most often and such.

I hope you feel better soon!!
    Faith, Hope, and Love,
    Katrina

I believe God is using me. He uses me for God. Things I gain from all my suffering are meant to help others. I hope I can help you too. Email me or start a chat if you like my help or anything. I CARE!Illnesses: IC,IBS, IBD, GERD, PFD, Epilepsy, Endo, Allergies, RLM,Rapid heart beat, low blood pressure,Gastritis,Gall stones,Tendonitis,migraines, Shingles, Prolapsed pouch,ext. fatigue (current problem) I have seen periods of remission and I have seen them end and return. At this time remission is over and working on getting it back! My hope story http://www.ic-network.com/patientstories/katrina.html
    http://mandksales.net
    IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    or find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/kat671?ref=profile
    Be the Miracle! & Pay it Forward!

carmelann@charter.net please contact me...I am here to help!http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICinWI/ if your from WI please contact me!

ICN Member
    I take macrobid after I have intercourse so I dont get a bladder infection, and it seems to work well for me, but everyone is different.

I took it all summer because of ongoing infections and had great success.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

ty everyone

so macrobid is just used for ongoing infection caused by the ic I had someone tell me today that they used this and they are feeling much better. I am curious though about being able to get it for after having intercourse and will a doctor give you something just for that. The last time that I had sex I got a horrible UTI and have been scared to try again which was 10 months ago cause of how bad it got. I just found out that I have IC and really cant have sex now anyways but maybe someday but I dont want that infection again like before.

I took it for an infection and a preventative and it did not work I ended up going on doxy and levaquin for a mjor uti and kidney infection.

Macrobid and Macrodantin

I have both antibiotics at home. My first uro prescribed Macrobid to take oe pill after sex. My current uro prescribed me Macrodantin, to take one pill after sex. She thinks Marcodantin is better, don't know why.
    I explained both uros that I have a big problem with yeast infections. Both said these antibiotics are not excreted in the vagina. The conclusion is that I haven't taken any of them.
    It took me forever to get rid of a yeast infection, almost 6 months! that I want to prevent yeast at all cost.
    I also want to prevent UTIs of course, but all I'm doing now as a preventive measure is I make sure I urinate before and after sex. I take a shower after (right before sex is recomended but it is a little complicated sometimes)
    What is your experience with any of these antibiotics and yeast?
    I'm thinking maybe I'll try just 1-2 pills a week? Is anyone doing this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information